How did your grandparents vote? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:46:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  How did your grandparents vote? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How did your grandparents vote?  (Read 16439 times)
old timey villain
cope1989

« on: August 15, 2015, 11:46:11 AM »

The two grandparents I know best:

Maternal Grandmother: Born in Washington DC in 1930. Mother was one of 10 in a large Italian family. Father was from a German family from the midwest. She moved to Atlanta in the early 1940s and has lived in the area ever since. She went to Baptist churches with friends growing up in Georgia but converted to Catholicism after marrying my grandfather, a New York Irish Catholic.

1960: Kennedy (young, handsome and Catholic. She still loves him)
1964: Didn't vote (didn't like Goldwater but didn't trust Johnson)
1968: Humphrey
1972: Nixon
1976: Carter (native son vote)
1980: Reagan (she claims Reagan is her second favorite president after Kennedy)
1984: Reagan
1988: Bush
1992: Bush
1996: Dole
2000: Bush
2004: Bush
2008: McCain (she became an avid Fox News Viewer around this time and actively hates Obama)
2012: Romney
2016: Currently supports Trump (SMDH)

She's an interesting demographic because she can claim a lot of different voter "identities": ethnic northeasterner, white southerner, Baptist, Catholic, LGBT Ally (her son is gay and she supports gay marriage) and senior citizen.

Paternal Grandfather: He was born in 1918 in a small town in North Georgia. He was named after current President Woodrow Wilson. His father was a middle school principal and he grew up middle to lower middle class. Has "American" ancestry typical of most white southerners. Moved to Atlanta and went to Law school after WWII. Became active in local and state politics. Appointed to a judgeship by Governor Lester Maddox. His close relationship with many Georgia politicians made him very loyal to the Democratic Party

To save some time, I'll just say he voted for the Democratic candidate in every election, even George McGovern. He claims the only time he voted Republican was when his neighbor was running for city council on the GOP ticket and he didn't want to create an awkward situation. He was in the hospital during the 2008 election and died in January 2009. Admittedly, he was hesitant about the prospect of an Obama presidency. I guess he was a product of his time. But he said he liked many of Obama's ideas. I'd like to think he would have voted for him were he in better health. He was emblematic of those loyal Southern Democrats who felt a strong tie to their party. But unlike many others, he remained a Democrat decades after the south began swinging towards the GOP. That leads me to believe that his fondness for the Democratic party was rooted in a commitment to progressive values as well as a regional loyalty.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies