Considering leaving the forum (attention whoring)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:48:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Considering leaving the forum (attention whoring)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Considering leaving the forum (attention whoring)  (Read 1425 times)
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 16, 2015, 06:49:47 PM »

The position that I took in the thread about the Pope's comments on the Charlie Hebdo massacre (which is in U.S. General for some reason) is one that I genuinely hold but that I'm having such difficulty coherently defending that I'm beginning to come to the conclusion that I'm not fit to argue my beliefs and values in this venue any longer. I'm despairing of being able to present my beliefs and values in a cogent or convincing light, and I've developed the suspicion that, by trying and failing, I'm not living up to them. So I'm considering leaving the forum.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 06:51:11 PM »

The position that I took in the thread about the Pope's comments on the Charlie Hebdo massacre (which is in U.S. General for some reason) is one that I genuinely hold but that I'm having such difficulty coherently defending that I'm beginning to come to the conclusion that I'm not fit to argue my beliefs and values in this venue any longer. I'm despairing of being able to present my beliefs and values in a cogent or convincing light, and I've developed the suspicion that, by trying and failing, I'm not living up to them. So I'm considering leaving the forum.

Please don't. You are the best poster we got.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 06:55:43 PM »

A lot of people's views aren't always argued based on logic or reason but by feeling. While I know you're someone who likes to reside in that particular headspace.... but you know what? There's nothing wrong with having views or feelings that can't be completely and logically explained.

You don't need to leave.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 06:56:06 PM »

Please don't. You are the best poster we got.

Seconded. This would be a far worse place without you. I've been meaning to post more in that thread- I will later when I am freer.
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 06:56:25 PM »

You shouldn't leave. You don't have to reply to everything quickly. You can take a day to organize your thoughts in a matter that you are comfortable with
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 06:58:56 PM »

You are by far one of the best-informed people and best debaters on this forum. Don't let your neurosis ruin either of these.

More bluntly, you seem to be setting an ideal for yourself which is too high to live up to; the best decision here would be attempt to think more realistically. You're a fine poster and I'd hate to see you give up on the forum.
Zanas
Zanas46
France

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 06:59:19 PM »

If you're considering it, then do. You will either find you don't need it and your life will get brighter, or you need it and you'll come back crawling and everybody will get over it and forget you ever left. Either way you win.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2015, 07:06:57 PM »

At the risk of echoing others, please do not leave. Virtually everybody, I think, holds to at least some views which may be difficult to defend on certain platforms including myself both for the views being against the zeitgeist and simply being at a loss for words. This forum is rather unique in that while being rather socially liberal, is accepting of religious conservatives and is something that hopefully will be maintained in the future. Ultimately, though, this is just an Internet forum and matter little in the course of life.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2015, 07:21:35 PM »

Of all the positions you've taken while being on this forum, to leave over one that is largely correct would be very silly.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2015, 07:32:59 PM »

Oh please. He's not going to leave. He just wants, after his defeat, for everybody to tell him what a smart, good person he is so he can feel better about himself because all of his fragile ego is based off of the acceptance of an internet forum. Suck it up! So what if your viewpoint isn't popular? Life isn't a popularity contest. People are not always going to agree with you and tell you how smart you are. Take it as a life lesson and learn from the experience rather than throwing yourself an online pity party.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2015, 07:40:09 PM »

Oh please. He's not going to leave. He just wants, after his defeat, for everybody to tell him what a smart, good person he is so he can feel better about himself because all of his fragile ego is based off of the acceptance of an internet forum. Suck it up! So what if your viewpoint isn't popular? Life isn't a popularity contest. People are not always going to agree with you and tell you how smart you are. Take it as a life lesson and learn from the experience rather than throwing yourself an online pity party.

Please shut up.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2015, 07:52:13 PM »

Madeleine, we need you. You're literally the forum's conscience!
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2015, 07:54:13 PM »

well, get the fuck out already.

Seriously, though, probably everyone who posts here for any length of time and who has any sense of dignity at all probably considers this a major frustration at times.  You think, "WTF are these people thinking?!  Don't they realize how bizarre they sound?  Are they even thinking for themselves?"  Then you just make yourself a stiff drink and have to decide whether you're going to start shouting and typing fast, or whether it might just be a better idea to take a break for the evening and do something productive instead, like play with your child or watch Ancient Aliens.  In any case, you just gotta accept that each of us is a product of his own socialization, and it is possible for two people to be in total disagreement but neither of them is wrong.  Also, remember that you do add some flavor to the debate.  I, for one, occasionally enjoy reading your occasionally interesting posts.  Anyway, no one will hold it against you when you show up tomorrow diatribing on whatever aspect of popular culture wrinkles your panties and you suddenly feel the need to unload your feelings about it to strangers.  We'll forget all about this momentary lapse of judgment.  

Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2015, 07:57:07 PM »

You have to do what's best for you, but please please please consider everyone here. I'd really enjoy reading your posts every day, and I would miss it a ton. I really don't think you should, and polnut said it best. Take a few days to think it over including the specific posts that are troubling you. You do much better arguing of ideas than the vast majority of mostly wonderful posters here.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2015, 08:00:55 PM »

Please don't leave. Sad
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2015, 08:01:49 PM »

If you leave I'll never speak to you again. Angry
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2015, 08:07:39 PM »

If you don't argue for your own beliefs, however ineffectively, who will?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2015, 08:16:11 PM »

If you don't argue for your own beliefs, however ineffectively, who will?
Homelycooking...you remind me of Data

Felis catus is your taxonomic nomenclature,
An endothermic quadruped, carnivorous by nature;
Your visual, olfactory, and auditory senses
Contribute to your hunting skills and natural defenses.

...I mean that as a compliment.

Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2015, 08:18:54 PM »

Honestly Madeleine, I think you're being overly dramatic. I mean, if everybody left after one failed argument, we wouldn't have any posters. Wink
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2015, 08:19:54 PM »

You're thinking of leaving because you can't defend your position?  I have no idea what your position is, but that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.  You don't have to defend your positions (unless they're ban-worthy).
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2015, 08:21:53 PM »

@Maddy: Do what you must, and do it decisively.

Should you decide to leave, go cold turkey for a while...maybe for good, maybe not. It could be a good break, or a critical error, but you'll only know for sure if you do take a break.

Should you decide otherwise, then keep calm and carry on. And cease with this kind of melodrama
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2015, 08:29:54 PM »

Oh go f**k yourself.  You're just bitter because you constantly get humiliated by Madeleine's better rhetoric and better morality.  (There, broke the seal on not ever getting infraction points.  Totally worth it.)

As for you, Madeleine- I'm going to be selfish and say that you're one of our absolute best posters and you better not leave because this forum will be an immeasurably poorer place without you.  And if there's the occasional thing where you can't defend your viewpoint perfectly or get bested in an argument, well it happens to all of us.  Please don't be so goddamn hard on yourself.  And that goes in general, not just here. Sad
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2015, 08:35:42 PM »

First of all, I haven't been 'defeated', because I'm not actually wrong.

I'm not going to react to the rest of this.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2015, 08:39:11 PM »

Homelycooking...you remind me of Data

Felis catus is your taxonomic nomenclature,
An endothermic quadruped, carnivorous by nature;
Your visual, olfactory, and auditory senses
Contribute to your hunting skills and natural defenses.

Excellent!  Good call.  Remember, however, that Giordi, after saying how it rhymed and had the proper meter, would have been honest enough to tell him that it doesn't really "touch" us. 
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2015, 08:57:24 PM »
« Edited: January 16, 2015, 09:30:49 PM by Joe Republic »

These are truly the worst kind of attention whoring threads.  You're not going to leave.  Nobody who posts these ever does.  (I wouldn't want you to, ftr.)  But I hope you collect a sufficient number of back-pats and there-theres in the mean time.

And also ftr, I don't know what the original argument you're ashamed of is about.  Nor do I particularly care.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies