Christmas tree removal
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:04:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Christmas tree removal
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Have you disposed of your Christmas tree yet?
I done already took it down

I haven't yet, but I will soon

We ain't got no stinkin' Christmas tree

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 41

Author Topic: Christmas tree removal  (Read 949 times)
angus
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 16, 2015, 10:08:44 PM »

The old lady just commented on how "dry" the tree looks.  She also brought home a little Year of the Goat ornament, reminding me that it's time to put up the red lanterns and such.  Probably we oughtta take down the stockings and wreath and remove the baubles and lights from the long-dead and yellowing fir tree which has occupied so much space in our living room so we can take the tree outside and figure out how to dispose of it.  Lots of vacuuming will no doubt follow that exercise. 

What about youze guys?  Have y'all removed the Xmas deco yet?  Do you even have any of that stuff?  As I recall the the average forumite is pretty young.  In the 15 years between the time I moved out of Mama's house and the time I got married and procreated the thought of getting a Christmas tree never crossed my mind, so many of you might not even think of such things.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 10:11:40 PM »

The old lady just commented on how "dry" the tree looks.  She also brought home a little Year of the Goat ornament, reminding me that it's time to put up the red lanterns and such.  Probably we oughtta take down the stockings and wreath and remove the baubles and lights from the long-dead and yellowing fir tree which has occupied so much space in our living room so we can take the tree outside and figure out how to dispose of it.  Lots of vacuuming will no doubt follow that exercise. 

What about youze guys?  Have y'all removed the Xmas deco yet?  Do you even have any of that stuff?  As I recall the the average forumite is pretty young.  In the 15 years between the time I moved out of Mama's house and the time I got married and procreated the thought of getting a Christmas tree never crossed my mind, so many of you might not even think of such things.

When I did put up Christmas decorations, I took them down very shortly after the first of the year ... probably on the 1st, since it was a holiday and time off from work. I haven't put up any decorations since 2008.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 10:14:38 PM »

Our (fake) tree went down the other day, and I took my grandma's real tree down last weekend for her.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 10:25:02 PM »

Our Christmas decorations come down shortly before lunchtime on Christmas Eve, so that we can focus 100% on preparing for the countdown to 0000 on New Year's Day in Kiribati.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 09:49:11 AM »

Took it down on January 3rd.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2015, 10:12:24 AM »

No tree and the few decorations we did have came down the weekend after Christmas.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2015, 10:17:13 AM »

Option 2, but not only is the tree fake, it doesn't even have needles.  My cat eats fake christmas tree needles and plastic plants.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2015, 10:25:48 AM »

No tree for us this past Christmas (the second year in a row). In the past, the Christmas tree and all decorations always came down within a couple days after New Year's Day (typically the weekend after). If we had one this year, it probably would've come down on the 3rd or 4th.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2015, 05:35:11 PM »

Just took it outside, then we ran the vacuum cleaner over the livingroom carpet and furiously swept the wood floors.  It's nice to have all that stuff boxed and to have the space back.  I suppose that the refuse/recycling collection folks will pick it up if I put it at the curb on trash day. 

Now we're decorating with lanterns and red knotted tassels and stuffed goats.  The Year of the Ram (or Goat, if you prefer) starts in about a month.  I guess between now and then are MLK Junior Day and Valentine's Day, but we really don't celebrate those much.  Well, Martin gives us a holiday from work and school, so we get a three-day weekend, and usually I bring home some flowers for VD, and the boy brings home boxes of candy and little cards, but those two aren't really big holidays for us.  The next big one is Lunar New Year so that's the new décor.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2015, 06:31:11 PM »

We took down the decorations on the 30th and moved it to the balcony.  It's a perfectly good tree, and seems to be enjoying the sunlight.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2015, 10:51:29 PM »

When we moved the Christmas tree out of the house last weekend, about 75% of the needles cascaded down onto the floor. The other 25% were impaled into my arm.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2015, 11:55:49 AM »

We have an artificial tree, and although we've taken it down and packed it up, we haven't put it away because we're using it to block drafts into the house.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2015, 06:20:18 AM »

We cut it up a week after Christmas and have mostly burned the branches by now.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2015, 08:09:32 AM »

Shortly after Thanksgiving we get a 48" or 60" wreath from the Boy Scouts for the front of the house, and put up a few internal Christmas decorations. When we are home for Christmas we get a real tree, recently from the monks who run a tree farm a few miles from our house. We buy the tree typically between Dec 18-23 so it isn't too dry for the holiday. Hanging ornaments on the tree is a family activity that usually happens a day or two after the tree comes home so that it's all up by Dec 24.

We like to keep the tree up and watered until Jan 6, since that's the traditional end of the season (12th day of Christmas). At that point the tree comes down and the ornaments are put away, since my city has free tree disposal for the first two weeks after Christmas. The following weekend is when everything else gets picked up and the house generally returned to normal. Nonetheless a few gifts haven't yet found a permanent home and are still lying around the sitting room where the tree was.

angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2015, 01:21:29 PM »

my city has free tree disposal for the first two weeks after Christmas.

I was wondering about that myself.  Our christmas tree is in the back yard, lying on its side.   Monday is regular trash and recycling bin day, and they came this morning, despite it being MLK holiday, but I had already put a sink out there with the normal stuff (garbage can and recycling bin).  We actually changed the sink over the weekend.  The fancy ceramic sink with two deep basins was as old as the house (~15 years) and starting to show its age, so we replaced with a cheap aluminum sink with two shallow basins.  We kept the in-sink disposal since it still works, but because the basins were standard depth on the new one we had to get some lengths of pipe.  Anyway, I didn't want to push my luck and put two weird things out there at once.  They took the sink, which was a more pressing issue in my opinion.  I'll give the tree a try next Monday.  My neighbors say that they pick those up as well.  I'm not sure that there's a time window for that but I guess I'll find out a week from today.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2015, 01:23:25 PM »

I was wondering about that myself.  Our christmas tree is in the back yard, lying on its side.   Monday is regular trash and recycling bin day, and they came this morning, despite it being MLK holiday, but I had already put a sink out there with the normal stuff (garbage can and recycling bin).  We actually changed the sink over the weekend.  The fancy ceramic sink with two deep basins was as old as the house (~15 years) and starting to show its age, so we replaced with a cheap aluminum sink with two shallow basins.  We kept the in-sink disposal since it still works, but because the basins were standard depth on the new one we had to get some lengths of pipe.  Anyway, I didn't want to push my luck and put two weird things out there at once.  They took the sink, which was a more pressing issue in my opinion.  I'll give the tree a try next Monday.  My neighbors say that they pick those up as well.  I'm not sure that there's a time window for that but I guess I'll find out a week from today.

I'm technically in the burbs, and they do take the tree, and not on any special day either......just swoop it up.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2015, 02:46:33 PM »

I'm technically in the burbs, and they do take the tree, and not on any special day either......just swoop it up.

Here they only take the tree on a trash collection day. Though the tree is free, I have to place a trash sticker on the wreath as I would any bulky item that doesn't fit in the bin. That's because the wreath has a metal frame so it can't go in the chipper. However, if the tree goes out late, then it needs a sticker, too, since the trash hauler doesn't have the special truck and the tree is just another bulky item.
Lankester Merrin
fathermerrin2013
Rookie
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2015, 11:21:50 PM »

already done it
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies