What would be Atlasia's Freedom House scores?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:16:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  What would be Atlasia's Freedom House scores?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What would be Atlasia's Freedom House scores?  (Read 699 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 21, 2005, 09:18:37 PM »

I say a 2,2. Too much political upheaval and unstable government to get a 1,1
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2005, 09:50:12 PM »

We follow the letter of the law when doing the changes, and there is free speech, so 1,1...
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2005, 10:05:03 PM »

Government instability is taken into account even if the law is followed through the upheavals. This is the main reason India, the Phillipines and a bunch mostly democratic countries in Africa only have 2s for political rights. We also have one of the leaders of an attempted coup about to be VP (not that he's a bad pick otherwise though).

Also 1,1 countries don't elect Naso and NixonNows.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2005, 10:47:30 PM »

You're really happy I introduced you to Freedom House, aren't ya? Wink
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2005, 10:48:47 PM »

I knew of it beforehand from Democratic Underground actually, although on there they were calling it a right wing front group due to its ratings of Cuba (this was during one of the pro- vs. anti-Castro debates of course)
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2005, 11:01:38 PM »

I knew of it beforehand from Democratic Underground actually, although on there they were calling it a right wing front group due to its ratings of Cuba (this was during one of the pro- vs. anti-Castro debates of course)

That explains quite a lot about DU... Cheesy
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2005, 06:19:31 AM »

There was nothing "attempted" about my coup - it was highly successful for about an hour.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Take a look around the United States Congress.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2005, 06:43:18 AM »

What are Freedom House scores?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2005, 03:15:23 PM »

The Freedom House is an organization that rates the relative levels of freedom in nations around the world based on events that happen in those nations.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2005, 03:38:54 PM »

Government instability is taken into account even if the law is followed through the upheavals. This is the main reason India, the Phillipines and a bunch mostly democratic countries in Africa only have 2s for political rights. We also have one of the leaders of an attempted coup about to be VP (not that he's a bad pick otherwise though).

Also 1,1 countries don't elect Naso and NixonNows.

To put it this way in practice most nations with Political Rights scores of a 2 are usually contries that have fair elections and a democratic system but have one party that always wins, Japan until 1994 (I believe) also Botswana. This is usually what a score of a two usually means. Also look at Italy it has a 1,1 score and until Silvio Burlusconi it never had a Prime Minister serve a full term.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2005, 03:41:36 PM »

That explains quite a lot about DU... Cheesy

Obviously the Castro lovers are crazy, but there are a lot of rational people there.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2006, 12:58:21 AM »
« Edited: March 27, 2006, 01:02:02 AM by Erasmia Pulchella »

bump.

Like Daniel said earlier today, we're almost like a third world nation in terms of attempted coups, revolutions and seccesionists (not like that's a bad thing, it just makes things more interesting.) In addition our elections are far from squeaky clean, what's the last one we had that didn't have major controversy or accusations of fraud? Governments and parties also tend to be unstable, parties rarely last long and resignations and effective nullification of election results do happen on a fair basis, let's not forget that no President has ever been reelected.

Still I'd say 3 for Political Liberties and 2 for Civil Liberties at the moment. The CL score would've probably dropped before, such as during the West Atlasia and Southeast crises.

Meanwhile Puerto Rico would be like a 7,6 if it was included under Disputed Territories.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2006, 01:03:31 AM »

In addition our elections are far from squeaky clean, what's the last one we had that didn't have major controversy or accusations of fraud?

Major controversy doesn't necessarily mean the election wasn't clean.  Nor do accusations of fraud mean anything unless there actually was fraud.

This isn't really a bad thing, because it encourages independent thought and stops parties from establishing long reigns of power.

let's not forget that no President has ever been reelected.

To be fair, only one president has ever run for re-election in the first place.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2006, 01:10:03 AM »

In addition our elections are far from squeaky clean, what's the last one we had that didn't have major controversy or accusations of fraud?

Major controversy doesn't necessarily mean the election wasn't clean.  Nor do accusations of fraud mean anything unless there actually was fraud.

Well no, but frequency of election irregularities are noteworthy. Countries which are the most part democratic but have lots irregularities and occaisional fraud by all sides tend to get around 3 (a good example is the Phillippines)

This isn't really a bad thing, because it encourages independent thought and stops parties from establishing long reigns of power.

It's not, but typically countries with such systems rather than established parties as institutions tend to more banana republic-ish and score lower. A few South American countries serve as examples, where parties are often just a loose coalition built around one person.

let's not forget that no President has ever been reelected.

To be fair, only one president has ever run for re-election in the first place.

Yeah, but that's another sign of the situation.

And countries which are mostly free and have democratic elections but frequent revolutionary and seccesionist movements (a good example is India) usually lose a few points too.

Of course, a 1,1 country would be rather boring, so this isn't a bad thing. Typically the closer to the middle, the more interesting, a dictatorship would also be extremely boring for obvious reasons.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2006, 01:31:49 AM »

Like Daniel said earlier today, we're almost like a third world nation in terms of attempted coups, revolutions and seccesionists (not like that's a bad thing, it just makes things more interesting.)

The main thing is that all you need to stage a "coup" is to post a topic stating that that's what you're doing.  It's considerably easier and with considerably less risk and effort than coups in real life.

A counter-argument against taking these into account could be made that it's impossible to force anything on anyone.  The only reason that these "coups" are taken into consideration at all are because people pay attention to them and react as they would in real life.  If the coups were just ignored, it would be as if they never existed.

I would say that they're no worse than American elections.

Governments and parties also tend to be unstable, parties rarely last long and resignations and effective nullification of election results do happen on a fair basis

Besides the "effective nullification of election results" bit (I'm not sure what you mean by that), I can't disagree with much there.

Still I'd say 3 for Political Liberties and 2 for Civil Liberties at the moment. The CL score would've probably dropped before, such as during the West Atlasia and Southeast crises.

Uh, why would civil liberties be anything greater than 1?  It's impossible to coerce anyone into doing anything that they don't want to do.  It seems to me that that's as much freedom as anyone could hope for.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2006, 01:43:04 AM »

Easy call: 1,1
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2006, 02:00:37 AM »

If the US manages to be 1,1 surely Atlasia is as well.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2006, 11:04:00 PM »

As long as Q is running elections around here the score stays at least at 2,2.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2006, 11:21:41 PM »

I'm still waiting for a justification for how the way elections are run impacts civil liberties...
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies