If Romney runs, will the Nevada caucuses be uncontested?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 06:09:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  If Romney runs, will the Nevada caucuses be uncontested?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If Romney runs, will the Nevada caucuses be uncontested?  (Read 668 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 18, 2015, 01:01:10 AM »

If the 2016 primary calendar pans out like I'm expecting, Nevada will likely go third, just after Iowa and New Hampshire.  So it would seem like there's a good chance that it would be a heavily contested state, with a lot of candidate attention.

Except for one problem.  If Romney runs, then we'll presumably get a repeat of 2008 and 2012, where Mormons make up ~25% of the GOP caucus turnout and go ~90% for Romney.  With enough support from non-Mormons as well, Romney then wins ~50% of the total vote, with second place way back around ~20-25% or so.  This could easily happen even if Romney 2016 isn't as strong as Romney 2012 or even Romney 2008.

Given that, will the other candidates even bother to contest the state?  They might as well just skip it and go straight to South Carolina, hoping that Romney winning unopposed means that the media will discount the meaning of his win.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 01:05:26 AM »
« Edited: January 18, 2015, 01:07:31 AM by smilo »

Paul might show up to try and gather than rural libertarians to place 2nd if it is proportional. He might get 2 or 3 10+ delegates. His chance of breaking 20% here is better than breaking 10% in SC, so he might as well try (it would probably require he wins one of the first two or is at least a very close 2nd possibly both times).
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 01:05:47 AM »

If the 2016 primary calendar pans out like I'm expecting, Nevada will likely go third, just after Iowa and New Hampshire.  So it would seem like there's a good chance that it would be a heavily contested state, with a lot of candidate attention.

Except for one problem.  If Romney runs, then we'll presumably get a repeat of 2008 and 2012, where Mormons make up ~25% of the GOP caucus turnout and go ~90% for Romney.  With enough support from non-Mormons as well, Romney then wins ~50% of the total vote, with second place way back around ~20-25% or so.  This could easily happen even if Romney 2016 isn't as strong as Romney 2012 or even Romney 2008.

Given that, will the other candidates even bother to contest the state?  They might as well just skip it and go straight to South Carolina, hoping that Romney winning unopposed means that the media will discount the meaning of his win.

Maybe they'll draft Sandoval as "favorite son" candidate, wounding Romney, without anyone having to campaign there.
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 01:13:32 AM »

Maybe they'll draft Sandoval as "favorite son" candidate, wounding Romney, without anyone having to campaign there.
That is so 1960's.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 01:18:11 AM »

That is so 1960's.

It's better than ignoring a state that other candidates should be able to win (even with Romney)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2015, 01:19:22 AM »

Paul might show up to try and gather than rural libertarians to place 2nd if it is proportional. He might get 2 or 3 10+ delegates. His chance of breaking 20% here is better than breaking 10% in SC, so he might as well try (it would probably require he wins one of the first two or is at least a very close 2nd possibly both times).

The delegates will be awarded on a quasi-proportional basis, but the number of delegates we're talking about is trivial compared to what will be awarded on Super Tuesday.  At that stage in the game, it's all about doing what you can to produce momentum for Super Tuesday.  In which case, it's unclear that there's much of anything to be gained by finishing such a distant second in Nevada, when you can spend your time trying to break into the top three (or higher) in South Carolina.

Is it actually easier for Paul to break 20% in Nevada than 10% in South Carolina?  I don't know.  Rand is not his father.  It depends on how he campaigns, but it isn't obvious to me that he's doomed to such poor showings in the South.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2015, 06:57:28 PM »

I suspect that the major candidates will avoid NV but probably run stealth campaigns in case of Romney fading.

But then what happens in SC if Graham runs? Do the candidates also skip SC? I think right now NC is slated to go the Tue after SC so it may become the 'tie breaker' but in theory there may be no tie breaker before Super Tuesday (Assuming different winners for IA and NH)
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2015, 07:00:11 PM »

But then what happens in SC if Graham runs?

Yea, well, that's not gonna be a problem lol (*hopes everything doesn't goes horribly wrong and this somehow comes back to bite me*)
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2015, 07:42:20 PM »

I suspect that the major candidates will avoid NV but probably run stealth campaigns in case of Romney fading.

But then what happens in SC if Graham runs? Do the candidates also skip SC? I think right now NC is slated to go the Tue after SC so it may become the 'tie breaker' but in theory there may be no tie breaker before Super Tuesday (Assuming different winners for IA and NH)

Graham can't lock down SC. Heck, he would have been primaried last year if his challengers hadn't been so pathetic.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2015, 07:45:10 PM »

Graham is a behind the scenes character. It is foolish for him to run for President, but I am glad he is for that reason.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2015, 09:01:17 PM »

I think right now NC is slated to go the Tue after SC so it may become the 'tie breaker' but in theory there may be no tie breaker before Super Tuesday (Assuming different winners for IA and NH)

North Carolina is currently scheduled to go the Tuesday after South Carolina, yes, but considering the new RNC penalties, that would mean that North Carolina will be penalized down to just 9 delegates, and they probably aren't going to want to live with that.  So my guess (though certainly not a sure thing) is that IA/NH/NV/SC will end up being the only states to go before Super Tuesday.  Maybe one of the other 46 states can live with the super penalty, but it'll more likely be a smaller state without many delegates anyway, rather than a state like NC.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2015, 09:04:25 PM »

I'd imagine that goes for New York too? Sad

Uh oh, RIP Chris Christie's campaign. That went about as well as Giuliani.

I wish it could go just a week before Super Tuesday. (Also Florida too but separate days)
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2015, 09:07:07 PM »

That was my main point, i was just noting that currently NC is in that spot. But it could be that the final two pre Super Tuesday races are discounted due to favorite son. That could create a crazy Super Tuesday. Usually there are only around 3 or 4 left in the race on ST, but in 2016 there may be little reason to drop out, especially if some of those further behind can find sugar daddies.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies