Obama to Propose Capital Gains Tax Increase & Extending the Earned Income Credit
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:01:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Obama to Propose Capital Gains Tax Increase & Extending the Earned Income Credit
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Obama to Propose Capital Gains Tax Increase & Extending the Earned Income Credit  (Read 6936 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2015, 08:18:37 PM »

Nice gesture, even though it's DOA.

And the GOP is totally the party of the common man. Evidence:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2015/01/18/378163942/republican-leaders-dismiss-obamas-tax-proposal-as-not-serious
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2015, 03:13:04 AM »

I really hope Obama's 2nd term isn't filled with "Look at this cool thing we could've had if you guys hadn't voted Republican"
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2015, 09:31:44 AM »

I really hope Obama's 2nd term isn't filled with "Look at this cool thing we could've had if you guys hadn't voted Republican"
Since there ain't much coolness in these proposals, I wouldn't worry.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2015, 09:39:17 AM »

How is Capital Gains double taxation? I get dividends, but why this too? Because they are a function of future dividends gains? Those are getting taxed for someone else (or the company) as they come in. I think 10% is a perfect rate of taxation for CG.

Because companies are already taxed for their earnings before they are given to shareholders as dividends and they are taxed again.   

And wages aren't taxed twice?  At some point, somebody purchased a good from the company I worked for.  They paid taxes on that salary.  The company that I work for now uses that sales income to pay me, and I get taxed on those wages.  Double taxation.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2015, 09:41:36 AM »

I hope it is actually.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2015, 10:15:54 AM »

How is Capital Gains double taxation? I get dividends, but why this too? Because they are a function of future dividends gains? Those are getting taxed for someone else (or the company) as they come in. I think 10% is a perfect rate of taxation for CG.

Because companies are already taxed for their earnings before they are given to shareholders as dividends and they are taxed again.   

And wages aren't taxed twice?  At some point, somebody purchased a good from the company I worked for.  They paid taxes on that salary.  The company that I work for now uses that sales income to pay me, and I get taxed on those wages.  Double taxation.

Taxes are not paid on revenue (assuming that is what you mean the first time you say salary). If that happened, no one would be able to afford to pay any. The wages and all other costs are deducted. Or am I misinterpreting the first tax?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2015, 10:18:44 AM »

Does he honestly think he can get this passed?
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2015, 10:20:40 AM »

Taxes are not paid on revenue (assuming that is what you mean the first time you say salary). If that happened, no one would be able to afford to pay any. The wages and all other costs are deducted. Or am I misinterpreting the first tax?

The person who originally earned the salary to buy the good paid taxes on it.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2015, 10:41:03 AM »

That's pretty silly. The whole purpose is to pay taxes on transactions. A new transaction occured that grows the economy. Taxes must be paid. There is nothing about taxing a physical dollar twice. It's each individual's income. You should be happy if dollars have higher turnover (so long as it doesn't create inflation). Otoh, A dividend is the owner receiving their share of the transaction. The same person's income is being taxed when it comes in to the corporation and then again as dividends without another economic transaction occurring. That is far from the same thing as what you are proposing - effectively no taxes.

The only aceptable counter argument for double taxation would be that the owners are not responsible for bankruptcy risks as was brought up early in the thread.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2015, 10:45:38 AM »

That's pretty silly. The whole purpose is to pay taxes on transactions. A new transaction occured that grows the economy. Taxes must be paid. There is nothing about taxing a physical dollar twice. It's each individual's income. You should be happy if dollars have higher turnover (so long as it doesn't create inflation). Otoh, A dividend is the owner receiving their share of the transaction. The same person's income is being taxed when it comes in to the corporation and then again as dividends without another economic transaction occurring. That is far from the same thing as what you are proposing - effectively no taxes.

The only aceptable counter argument for double taxation would be that the owners are not responsible for bankruptcy risks as was brought up early in the thread.

And dividends are a different transaction than the corporation receiving income and making a profit.  A corporation does not HAVE to pay dividends to their shareholders.  They can accumulate retained earnings.

The double taxation argument is a bogus one because everyone is taxed multiple times.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2015, 11:16:55 AM »

And dividends are a different transaction than the corporation receiving income and making a profit.  A corporation does not HAVE to pay dividends to their shareholders.  They can accumulate retained earnings.

The double taxation argument is a bogus one because everyone is taxed multiple times.

It's a completely different argument than what you are trying to portray. There is room to support double taxation, but that isn't the way to do it. Not every transaction is taxed multiple times, and this is one income. And there is an expectation that dividends will be paid out. The owner will receive it eventually. I'll resort to preferred stock at this point because those really are barring failure.
The reason double taxation would be acceptable is if the government doesn't want to tax either entity too highly so they attempt to maximize investment for a given level of tax revenue and spread the percentages around. You don't want to destroy investment just to increase consumption a little. That's  not very easy to figure out but they can come close. It's not just because all transactions are double taxed.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2015, 12:10:53 PM »

Same stuff, different day.

The President isn't interested in doing anything but ginning up the 2016 Democratic base to vote for Hillary and positioning himself for his legacy. Basically, this is to all position Obama as the great liberal that his supporters saw him as (but he never truly governed as, in policy, to some extent). Conveniently enough, the Republican Congress will stop his agenda, and Obama will try to gin up the voters in 2016 to elect Hillary. The hue and cry will be "These evil Republicans! They're stopping (x goodie) from being given to you!"

The President is just cynically trying to please his liberal base, to keep the ACA law past 2017 and to hopefully keep a Democrat in the White House, so his executive orders can become basically impossible to roll back. It's pretty much too late for a grand bargain on domestic issues, because the 2016 race is heating up. Republicans would rather wait for the outcome of 2016 and negotiate with a new President, if they lose. Democrats would rather hope to regain the Senate in 2016 while keeping the White House, and have a fresh bargaining hand with the GOP House in 2017. The President is too much of a lame duck at this point (lame ducks don't accomplish many compromises this late in their tenure. Basically the sixth to eighth year is mostly foreign policy, historically).

This is win-win for Obama. Either Hillary wins because of the White House's efforts and the recovering economy, or the Republican wins, allowing Obama to let his ardent supporters cast him as a hero in the public's eyes. Down the road, Obama's supporters will begin lionizing him and the Democratic base (historically disappointed with him during his tenure) will overlook his transgressions and hail him as a FF. All this posturing is basically to ensure that legacy view.

Also he will try to take credit for the recovery, in the (bipartisan) time honored tradition. So that's the gist and purpose of tomorrow's State of the Union.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2015, 01:04:50 PM »

Same stuff, different day.

The President isn't interested in doing anything but ginning up the 2016 Democratic base to vote for Hillary and positioning himself for his legacy. Basically, this is to all position Obama as the great liberal that his supporters saw him as (but he never truly governed as, in policy, to some extent). Conveniently enough, the Republican Congress will stop his agenda, and Obama will try to gin up the voters in 2016 to elect Hillary. The hue and cry will be "These evil Republicans! They're stopping (x goodie) from being given to you!"

The President is just cynically trying to please his liberal base, to keep the ACA law past 2017 and to hopefully keep a Democrat in the White House, so his executive orders can become basically impossible to roll back. It's pretty much too late for a grand bargain on domestic issues, because the 2016 race is heating up. Republicans would rather wait for the outcome of 2016 and negotiate with a new President, if they lose. Democrats would rather hope to regain the Senate in 2016 while keeping the White House, and have a fresh bargaining hand with the GOP House in 2017. The President is too much of a lame duck at this point (lame ducks don't accomplish many compromises this late in their tenure. Basically the sixth to eighth year is mostly foreign policy, historically).

This is win-win for Obama. Either Hillary wins because of the White House's efforts and the recovering economy, or the Republican wins, allowing Obama to let his ardent supporters cast him as a hero in the public's eyes. Down the road, Obama's supporters will begin lionizing him and the Democratic base (historically disappointed with him during his tenure) will overlook his transgressions and hail him as a FF. All this posturing is basically to ensure that legacy view.

Also he will try to take credit for the recovery, in the (bipartisan) time honored tradition. So that's the gist and purpose of tomorrow's State of the Union.

Sounds great to me. Smiley
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2015, 01:38:41 PM »

^^^^^^^
What else is there to say? The obstinent GOP has blocked everything possible by any means possible since Jan 2009. Obama talks a good game at the SotU but he didn't even campaign hard on these sorts of policies. It's hard to believe it's that much of a priority for him.
I agree.  He waited until after the election made it even more unlikely before giving the left wing of the party something to chew on.

He definitely seems less afraid of the right than the left.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2015, 01:44:47 PM »

So basically "create a new tax so that we can hand out benefits through a broad-based tax credit"? Way to go full neo-liberal and not address true components of our economic problems. In the event we're actually ever successful at levying more taxes on the uber-wealthy and financial services, those taxes need to obviously be funneled into things besides reinforcement of principles that encourage over-population and that are targeted at (largely) people who are relatively okay financially.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2015, 01:52:40 PM »

[quote author=IceSpear link=topic=205968.msg4456438#msg4456438 date=14216
Sounds great to me. Smiley
[/quote]

This can backfire in the short term. Namely, a Republican wins in 2016 and is re-elected. That would decimate ObamaCare and leave Obama with a much weaker legacy. He still can have the rhetoric but not quite a full bodied legacy as he had hoped.

I can see a Republican government basically shredding key parts of the ACA and doing a tax cut. A Republican President would also be rolling back whatever Obama executive orders he could, left, right, and center. Especially on the EPA and environment.

The Democrats very much want to avoid this. But it's very plausible this will happen.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2015, 06:05:55 AM »

I hope it is actually.

It's all about 2016 -- whether America is to be a democracy or a plutocratic oligarchy.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2015, 08:16:14 AM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

I doubt the GOP could win the presidency if they actually ran on shredding the ACA. Sure, they will be against "Obamacare" but they really can't do sh**t about the ACA. It's too popular already, and will be even more popular in 2016 as people will have gotten insurance from the marketplace for years by that point.

This is not to say no changes will be made to the ACA, but the Republicans won't be able to limit access/subsidies without a huge outcry.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2015, 08:32:13 AM »

It's kind of cute all the people running to protect people who earn $500k a year from capital gains ... like they're "Mom and Pop" investors.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies