2008 Nationwide Precinct Map Project - (Mostly) Complete! (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:24:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2008 Nationwide Precinct Map Project - (Mostly) Complete! (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2008 Nationwide Precinct Map Project - (Mostly) Complete!  (Read 25890 times)
Stephen Wolf

« on: January 27, 2015, 04:53:24 PM »

Hello everyone, new forum user here, I write occasionally for the Daily Kos Elections front page.

Do any of you happen to have or know where I might find 2012 precinct boundary shapefiles for Colorado, Illinois, Maryland, Missouri, New York, Ohio, and Washington state (preferably statewide but select counties help too)? I'm working on a project for DKE and some of these shapefiles have been impossible to track down or county clerks want to charge and arm and a leg for them. Thanks

Also on this thread's subject topic, a long while back I made a simple cut and paste map of all 48 states plus DC where DRA has 2008 presidential data. It doesn't look as good as a GIS-rendered map of course, but it uses the old-DRA color scheme and was 10,000px wide (zoom level 8). Maybe Miles will post it for me since the Atlas won't let me include linked images yet.
Stephen Wolf

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 05:28:52 PM »

Yes, the Harvard archive appeared to be almost all pre-2012 maps while Strauss' collection, while helpful, is missing the remaining states I need (and his MD file had issues when I tried to use it).
Stephen Wolf

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 06:18:42 PM »

Thanks, I'll look into that for NY, although I don't need those particular Colorado counties. Full list of ones I need are:
Colorado - Adams, Douglas, Eagle, Jefferson
Illinois - Cook, DuPage, Lake, Will
Maryland - Anne Arundel, Baltimore County, Montgomery, Prince George's
Missouri - St. Charles, St. Louis County
New York - Statewide, too many to count
Ohio - Cuyahoga, Franklin
Washington - King, Pierce, Snohomish (these clerks wanted non-trivial $ for shapefiles)

As you guys probably could have guessed, this is redistricting related. Also while I have a statewide Mississippi file from Aaron Strauss and some other sources, the precinct names in some counties don't seem to match up with the precinct results published by the SoS that I obtained via Open Elections. Does anyone else have familiarity with Mississippi's 2012 precincts and results and encountered this issue?
Stephen Wolf

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 06:30:16 PM »

I wish Dave's redistricting app had stuff for Oregon.  Sad 

You should ask user James Allen on Daily Kos about that. He has a data set he's been adapting to Oregon's DRA file for some time, though I don't think it's complete yet.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies