TV stations of the 70's
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 06:58:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  TV stations of the 70's
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: TV stations of the 70's  (Read 9489 times)
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2015, 08:07:15 PM »

It's ridiculous for Staunton to be in the Richmond DMA.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2015, 08:41:25 PM »

Counties can change DMAs.  Neilsen redraws the lines every year, based on which market's TV stations are most watched in the county.  Last I checked (my DMA shapefiles are from at least 2010, and it's difficult to find new ones), Staunton is in the Harrisonburg DMA.  But if Richmond stations were more watched than Harrisonburg or Charlottesville stations in the 80s, it very well could have been in the Richmond DMA in earlier years.  Especially when there was less cable penetration and people had more of a choice in local stations than what their cable company gives them.  That is especially true if a small market like Harrisonburg only had one or two stations and more people watched the network programming from Richmond, which had all network stations and probably some independents.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2015, 08:45:51 PM »

Counties can change DMAs.  Neilsen redraws the lines every year, based on which market's TV stations are most watched in the county.  Last I checked (my DMA shapefiles are from at least 2010, and it's difficult to find new ones), Staunton is in the Harrisonburg DMA.  But if Richmond stations were more watched than Harrisonburg or Charlottesville stations in the 80s, it very well could have been in the Richmond DMA in earlier years.  Especially when there was less cable penetration and people had more of a choice in local stations than what their cable company gives them.  That is especially true if a small market like Harrisonburg only had one or two stations and more people watched the network programming from Richmond, which had all network stations and probably some independents.

I imagine it would be pretty hard to pick up the Richmond stations in Staunton without cable.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2015, 09:42:22 PM »

I imagine it would be pretty hard to pick up the Richmond stations in Staunton without cable.

Probably.  Richmond is about 95 miles away.  But it depends on a lot of factors, like where the Richmond TV stations' transmitters were, how strong and high up they are, and, perhaps most importantly, whether the Richmond stations had translator or satellite stations in or near Staunton.  In the old days, there were more translators broadcasting far-away signals to places where you otherwise wouldn't get any signal than there are today.

The bulk of the population in Sullivan County, New York is about 75 miles away from Manhattan, yet it is in the NYC DMA.  In the old days, some of the NYC stations had translators to bring the signal there.  They don't now, but with cable and satellite penetration rates as high as they are, there is no need to.  Much of Northern Nevada is in the Reno DMA despite Reno being hundreds of miles away.  The Reno stations still have translators in many Northern Nevada counties to bring their OTA signal there.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2015, 11:37:32 PM »

One of my big interests was radio. There's always been a real lack of data about what stations are heard in rural counties.
Now that I think about it, when I was little, we listened to the radio to learn about school snow days.  It probably wouldn't be very accurate, but it might have been possible, once upon a time, to determine a radio station's reach based on which school superintendents called in to them.
The 50,000 watt stations reach a long way.  KOMA (in OKC), a rock n'roll station, used to announce bands appearing all over the Plains, up in to Nebraska.  KOA (Denver) would broadcast the livestock report at 6 am or whenever farmers woke up.  One memorable occasion a new announcer reported the price of heifers, which he pronounced as heefers.

When I was a boy, we didn't have snow days. 
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2015, 12:13:35 AM »

Probably.  Richmond is about 95 miles away.  But it depends on a lot of factors, like where the Richmond TV stations' transmitters were, how strong and high up they are, and, perhaps most importantly, whether the Richmond stations had translator or satellite stations in or near Staunton.  In the old days, there were more translators broadcasting far-away signals to places where you otherwise wouldn't get any signal than there are today.

The bulk of the population in Sullivan County, New York is about 75 miles away from Manhattan, yet it is in the NYC DMA.  In the old days, some of the NYC stations had translators to bring the signal there.  They don't now, but with cable and satellite penetration rates as high as they are, there is no need to.  Much of Northern Nevada is in the Reno DMA despite Reno being hundreds of miles away.  The Reno stations still have translators in many Northern Nevada counties to bring their OTA signal there.
One of the early Cable TV systems was built in Casper, WY by Bill Daniels.   While traveling through Denver in 1952 he saw television for the first time and was amazed to see a boxing match from New York.  He figured out how to use microwave to transmit the TV signal 200 miles.  At times, his systems purported to let viewers vote on which programs they watched, but were apparently faked.

KREX, KREY, and KREZ on the Western Slope of Colorado in Grand Junction, Montrose, and Durango, respectively, used to broadcast programming from all networks, and only stopped when other local stations were built.
kcguy
Romania

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2015, 08:43:09 PM »

Now that I think about it, when I was little, we listened to the radio to learn about school snow days.  It probably wouldn't be very accurate, but it might have been possible, once upon a time, to determine a radio station's reach based on which school superintendents called in to them.

When I was a boy, we didn't have snow days. 

Yeah, so there was one slight flaw in my proposal.
kcguy
Romania

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2015, 08:46:59 PM »

Those 1980s-era maps I referenced in my previous post are weird.  The highlight:  Fallon County, MT, on the North Dakota line, is shown as being part of the Salt Lake City market.  I can't even begin to figure that one out.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2015, 12:05:06 AM »

Those 1980s-era maps I referenced in my previous post are weird.  The highlight:  Fallon County, MT, on the North Dakota line, is shown as being part of the Salt Lake City market.  I can't even begin to figure that one out.

Fallon County is a very small county in the middle of nowhere.  Many small counties in the middle of nowhere still have tax districts that are responsible for rebroadcasting distant TV stations for the local county.  What market it was included in the 1980s might have something to do with what stations the Baker TV Tax District were rebroacasting on their translators and/or what any Fallon County cable or satellite systems were rebroadcasting in the 1980s.  If the translators or cable or satellite companies were showing Salt Lake City stations, it could have been placed in that market.

Best I can tell, right now the Baker TV Tax District is currently rebroadcasting one Glendive, one Rapid City and one Bismarck-Minot-Dickinson TV station, along with North Dakota's Fargo PBS station.  As best I know, it is currently in the Bismarck-Minot-Dickinson DMA, as are most of the counties on the Montana-North Dakota border other than Carter County on the southeast corner, which is in the Rapid City DMA.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2015, 09:15:53 AM »

Maybe Fallon County is heavily Mormon, so they chose to rebroadcast Salt Lake City. Or maybe it's just very conservative, so they wanted to rebroadcast stations from a conservative market. (The NBC affiliate in Salt Lake City refused to air 'Saturday Night Live' for years.)
kcguy
Romania

« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2015, 06:36:56 PM »

SOUTH CAROLINA
CHARLESTON.  ABC:  2 (Charleston, SC).  CBS:  5 (Charleston, SC).  NBC:  4 (Charleston, SC).
ORANGEBURG.  ABC:  2 (Charleston, SC), 6 (Augusta, GA).  CBS:  5 (Charleston, SC), 12 (Augusta, GA).  NBC:  4 (Charleston, SC), 10 (Columbia, SC).
AIKEN.  ABC:  6 (Augusta, GA).  CBS:  12 (Augusta, GA).
COLUMBIA.  ABC:  25 (Columbia, SC).  CBS:  19 (Columbia, SC).  NBC:  10 (Columbia, SC).
SUMTER.  ABC:  25 (Columbia, SC).  CBS:  13 (Florence, SC), 19 (Columbia, SC).  NBC:  10 (Columbia, SC).
FLORENCE.  CBS:  13 (Florence, SC).  NBC:  10 (Columbia, SC).
MYRTLE BEACH.  ABC:  3 (Wilmington, NC).  CBS:  5 (Charleston, SC), 13 (Florence, SC).  NBC:  6 (Wilmington, NC).
ROCK HILL.  ABC:  9 (Charlotte, NC).  CBS:  3 (Charlotte, NC), 7 (Spartanburg, SC).  NBC:  36 (Charlotte, NC).  IND:  18 (Charlotte, NC).
SPARTANBURG.  ABC:  13 (Asheville, NC).  CBS:  3 (Charlotte, NC), 7 (Spartanburg, SC).  NBC:  4 (Greenville, SC).
ANDERSON and GREENVILLE.  ABC:  13 (Asheville, NC).  CBS:  7 (Spartanburg, SC).  NBC:  4 (Greenville, SC).
GREENWOOD.  ABC:  6 (Augusta, GA), 13 (Asheville, NC).  CBS:  7 (Spartanburg, SC).  NBC:  4 (Greenville, SC).
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2015, 06:51:21 PM »

MYRTLE BEACH.  ABC:  3 (Wilmington, NC).  CBS:  5 (Charleston, SC), 13 (Florence, SC).  NBC:  6 (Wilmington, NC).

Was Horry County (Myrtle Beach) in the Myrtle Beach-Florence TV market back then?  There was only 1 Florence station, instead of the myriad of stations the market has today.  Maybe it was just the Florence TV market, as Myrtle Beach had no stations itself.
kcguy
Romania

« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2015, 06:55:24 PM »

GEORGIA
ATLANTA.  ABC:  11 (Atlanta, GA).  CBS:  5 (Atlanta, GA).  NBC:  2 (Atlanta, GA).  IND:  17 (Atlanta, GA), 36 (Atlanta, GA).
CARTERSVILLE and GRIFFIN.  ABC:  11 (Atlanta, GA).  CBS:  5 (Atlanta, GA).  NBC:  2 (Atlanta, GA).  IND:  36 (Atlanta, GA).
CARROLLTON and GAINESVILLE.  ABC:  11 (Atlanta, GA).  CBS:  5 (Atlanta, GA).  NBC:  2 (Atlanta, GA).
ATHENS.  ABC:  11 (Atlanta, GA).  CBS:  5 (Atlanta, GA).  NBC:  2 (Atlanta, GA), 4 (Greenville, SC).
ROME.  ABC:  9 (Chattanooga, TN), 11 (Atlanta, GA).  CBS:  5 (Atlanta, GA), 12 (Chattanooga, TN).  NBC:  2 (Atlanta, GA), 3 (Chattanooga, TN).
DALTON.  ABC:  9 (Chattanooga, TN).  CBS:  5 (Atlanta, GA), 12 (Chattanooga, TN).  NBC:  2 (Atlanta, GA), 3 (Chattanooga, TN).
LaGRANGE.  ABC:  9 (Columbus, GA), 11 (Atlanta, GA).  CBS:  3 (Columbus, GA), 5 (Atlanta, GA).  NBC:  2 (Atlanta, GA).
MILLEDGEVILLE.  CBS:  5 (Atlanta, GA), 13 (Macon, GA).  NBC:  2 (Atlanta, GA).
MACON.  ABC:  9 (Columbus, GA).  CBS:  13 (Macon, GA).  NBC:  2 (Atlanta, GA), 41 (Macon, GA).
DUBLIN.  CBS:  13 (Macon, GA).  NBC:  41 (Macon, GA).
WARNER ROBINS.  ABC:  9 (Columbus, GA).  CBS:  3 (Columbus, GA), 13 (Macon, GA).  NBC:  41 (Macon, GA).
COLUMBUS.  ABC: 9 (Columbus, GA).  CBS:  3 (Columbus, GA).  NBC:  38 (Columbus, GA).
ALBANY.  ABC:  9 (Columbus, GA).  CBS:  3 (Columbus, GA), 6 (Tallahassee, FL).  NBC:  10 (Albany, GA).
MOULTRIE, THOMASVILLE, TIFTON, and VALDOSTA.  CBS:  6 (Tallahassee, FL).  NBC:  10 (Albany, GA).
AUGUSTA.  ABC:  6 (Augusta, GA).  CBS:  12 (Augusta, GA).  NBC:  26 (Augusta, GA).
STATESBORO.  ABC:  6 (Augusta, GA).  CBS:  11 (Savannah, GA), 12 (Augusta, GA).  NBC:  3 (Savannah, GA).
SAVANNAH.  ABC:  22 (Savannah, GA).  CBS:  11 (Savannah, GA).  NBC:  3 (Savannah, GA).
BRUNSWICK and WAYCROSS.  CBS:  4 (Jacksonville, FL).  NBC:  12 (Jacksonville, FL).
kcguy
Romania

« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2015, 07:00:36 PM »

Was Horry County (Myrtle Beach) in the Myrtle Beach-Florence TV market back then?  There was only 1 Florence station, instead of the myriad of stations the market has today.  Maybe it was just the Florence TV market, as Myrtle Beach had no stations itself.

I don't have maps for the 1970's data I'm posting.  In the 1980's, Myrtle Beach was in the "Florence" market.  By that time, there were 3 stations--2 network affiliates in Florence and an independent station in Myrtle Beach.
kcguy
Romania

« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2015, 07:02:43 PM »

I don't have maps for the 1970's data I'm posting.  In the 1980's, Myrtle Beach was in the "Florence" market.  By that time, there were 3 stations--2 network affiliates in Florence and an independent station in Myrtle Beach.

However, now that I think of it, the 1970's data does have names for the markets, just no maps of market boundaries.  The market is listed as "Florence, S.C."
kcguy
Romania

« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2015, 07:23:54 PM »

FLORIDA
JACKSONVILLE and SAINT AUGUSTINE.  ABC:  17 (Jacksonville, FL).  CBS:  4 (Jacksonville, FL).  NBC:  12 (Jacksonville, FL).
LAKE CITY.  CBS:  4 (Jacksonville, FL).  NBC:  12 (Jacksonville, FL).
PALATKA.  ABC:  17 (Jacksonville, FL).  CBS:  4 (Jacksonville, FL), 6 (Orlando, FL).  NBC:  2 (Daytona Beach, FL), 12 (Jacksonville, FL).
GAINESVILLE.  CBS:  4 (Jacksonville, FL).  NBC:  2 (Daytona Beach, FL), 12 (Jacksonville, FL).
DAYTONA BEACH, KISSIMMEE, LEESBURG, MELBOURNE, OCALA, and ORLANDO.  ABC:  9 (Orlando, FL).  CBS:  6 (Orlando, FL).  NBC:  2 (Daytona Beach, FL).
LAKELAND.  ABC:  9 (Orlando, FL), 10 (Tampa, FL).  CBS:  6 (Orlando, FL), 13 (Tampa, FL).  NBC:  8 (Tampa, FL).  IND:  44 (Saint Petersburg, FL).
BRADENTON, SAINT PETERSBURG, SARASOTA, and TAMPA.  ABC:  10 (Tampa, FL).  CBS:  13 (Tampa, FL).  NBC:  8 (Tampa, FL).  IND:  44 (Saint Petersburg, FL).
TALLAHASSEE.  ABC:  7 (Panama City, FL).  CBS:  6 (Tallahassee, FL).  NBC:  10 (Albany, GA).
PANAMA CITY.  ABC:  7 (Panama City, FL).  CBS:  4 (Dothan, AL).
FORT WALTON BEACH.  ABC:  3 (Pensacola, FL), 7 (Panama City, FL).  CBS:  5 (Mobile, AL).  NBC:  10 (Mobile, AL).
PENSACOLA.  ABC:  3 (Pensacola, FL).  CBS:  5 (Mobile, AL).  NBC:  10 (Mobile, AL).
FORT PIERCE and VERO BEACH.  ABC:  12 (West Palm Beach, FL).  CBS:  34 (Fort Pierce, FL).  NBC:  5 (Palm Beach, FL).
STUART.  ABC:  12 (West Palm Beach, FL).  CBS:  4 (Miami, FL).  NBC:  5 (Palm Beach, FL).
WEST PALM BEACH.  ABC:  10 (Miami, FL), 12 (West Palm Beach, FL).  CBS:  4 (Miami, FL).  NBC:  5 (Palm Beach, FL), 7 (Miami, FL).
FORT LAUDERDALE.  ABC:  10 (Miami, FL), 12 (West Palm Beach, FL).  CBS:  4 (Miami, FL).  NBC:  5 (Palm Beach, FL), 7 (Miami, FL).  IND:  23 (Miami, FL).
MIAMI.  ABC:  10 (Miami, FL).  CBS:  4 (Miami, FL).  NBC:  7 (Miami, FL).  IND:  6 (Miami, FL), 23 (Miami, FL).
KEY WEST.  ABC:  10 (Miami, FL).  CBS:  4 (Miami, FL).  NBC:  7 (Miami, FL).  IND:  6 (Miami, FL).
FORT MYERS and NAPLES.  CBS:  11 (Fort Myers, FL).  NBC:  20 (Fort Myers, FL).
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2015, 11:21:13 PM »

This specifically is early 70s.  Augusta, GA had a third TV station starting in 1968, but it was dark from 1970 to 1974.  Incidentally, Augusta did have access to NBC programming during that time as the two VHF stations would cherry pick the NBC shows they wanted to show.  (For instance, WJBF had the Today show while WRDW had the Tonight show.)

That the Columbia, SC market has but one VHF station while Charleston, SC has four due to a bit of skullduggery, but involving Spartanburg.  The upstate area had originally been allocated two VHF channels, which were grabbed by stations in Greenville and Asheville.  That left Spartanburg in the cold except that the owner of the major radio station there was buddy-buddy with James F. Byrnes.  (The guy's son was named James Byrnes Brown for Pete's sake!)  So channel 7 was moved from Columbia to Spartanburg which as a side effect made it possible to give Charleston channel 7 as well, tho channel 7 was a public station.  Not surprisingly given the sources you use, your lists omit all mention of public broadcasters.  In that time frame there were five public stations in South Carolina: WNTV 29 Greenville, WITV 7 Charleston, WRLK 35 Columbia, WJPM 33 Florence (also serving Myrtle Beach), and WEBA 14 Allendale (serving the Aiken and Orangeburg areas).
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2015, 11:27:20 PM »

Some markets were designed to be all-UHF to get people to buy TV sets that had UHF. One example of this is Lexington. I think Peoria might be another.
kcguy
Romania

« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2015, 06:56:45 PM »

ALABAMA
FLORENCE.  ABC:  31 (Huntsville, AL).  CBS:  19 (Huntsville, AL).  NBC:  15 (Florence, AL), 48 (Huntsville, AL).
HUNTSVILLE.  ABC:  31 (Huntsville, AL).  CBS:  19 (Huntsville, AL).  NBC:  48 (Huntsville, AL).
DECATUR.  ABC:  6 (Birmingham, AL), 31 (Huntsville, AL).  CBS:  19 (Huntsville, AL).  NBC:  48 (Huntsville, AL).
CULLMAN.  ABC:  6 (Birmingham, AL), 31 (Huntsville, AL).  CBS:  19 (Huntsville, AL).  NBC:  13 (Birmingham, AL).
BIRMINGHAM, JASPER, and TALLADEGA.  ABC:  6 (Birmingham, AL).  CBS:  42 (Birmingham, AL).  NBC:  13 (Birmingham, AL).
TUSCALOOSA.  ABC:  6 (Birmingham, AL).  CBS:  33 (Tuscaloosa, AL).  NBC:  13 (Birmingham, AL).
ANNISTON and GADSDEN.  ABC:  6 (Birmingham, AL).  CBS:  40 (Anniston, AL).  NBC:  13 (Birmingham, AL).
SELMA.  ABC:  6 (Birmingham, AL), 32 (Montgomery, AL).  CBS:  20 (Montgomery, AL).  NBC:  12 (Montgomery, AL).
MONTGOMERY.  ABC:  32 (Montgomery, AL).  CBS:  20 (Montgomery, AL).  NBC:  12 (Montgomery, AL).
OPELIKA.  ABC:  9 (Columbus, GA).  CBS:  3 (Columbus, GA).  NBC:  12 (Montgomery, AL).
ENTERPRISE.  CBS:  4 (Dothan, AL).  NBC:  12 (Montgomery, AL).
DOTHAN.  ABC:  7 (Panama City, FL), 18 (Dothan, AL).  CBS:  4 (Dothan, AL).
MOBILE.  ABC:  3 (Pensacola, FL).  CBS:  5 (Mobile, AL).  NBC:  10 (Mobile, AL).
kcguy
Romania

« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2015, 07:10:11 PM »

TENNESSEE
MEMPHIS.  ABC:  13 (Memphis, TN).  CBS:  3 (Memphis, TN).  NBC:  5 (Memphis, TN).
JACKSON.  ABC:  7 (Jackson, TN), 13 (Memphis, TN).  CBS:  3 (Memphis, TN).  NBC:  5 (Memphis, TN).
DYERSBURG.  ABC:  7 (Jackson, TN), 13 (Memphis, TN).  CBS:  3 (Memphis, TN), 12 (Cape Girardeau, MO).  NBC:  5 (Memphis, TN).
UNION CITY.  ABC:  7 (Jackson, TN).  CBS:  12 (Cape Girardeau, MO).  NBC:  6 (Paducah, KY).
PARIS.  ABC:  8 (Nashville, TN).  CBS:  5 (Nashville, TN).  NBC:  4 (Nashville, TN), 6 (Paducah, KY).
CLARKSVILLE, COLUMBIA, COOKEVILLE, LEBANON, MURFREESBORO, and NASHVILLE.  ABC:  8 (Nashville, TN).  CBS:  5 (Nashville, TN).  NBC:  4 (Nashville, TN).
CHATTANOOGA and CLEVELAND.  ABC:  9 (Chattanooga, TN).  CBS:  12 (Chattanooga, TN).  NBC:  3 (Chattanooga, TN).
ATHENS.  ABC:  6 (Knoxville, TN), 9 (Chattanooga, TN).  CBS:  12 (Chattanooga, TN).  NBC:  3 (Chattanooga, TN).
KNOXVILLE, MARYVILLE, and OAK RIDGE.  ABC:  6 (Knoxville, TN).  CBS:  10 (Knoxville, TN).  NBC:  26 (Knoxville, TN).
MORRISTOWN.  ABC:  6 (Knoxville, TN), 13 (Asheville, NC).  CBS:  10 (Knoxville, TN).  NBC:  5 (Bristol, VA).
GREENEVILLE.  ABC:  6 (Knoxville, TN), 13 (Asheville, NC).  CBS:  10 (Knoxville, TN), 11 (Johnson City, TN).  NBC:  5 (Bristol, VA).
JOHNSON CITY and KINGSPORT.  ABC:  19 (Kingsport, TN).  CBS:  11 (Johnson City, TN).  NBC:  5 (Bristol, VA).
kcguy
Romania

« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2015, 07:23:49 PM »

MISSISSIPPI
CLARKSDALE and CORINTH.  ABC:  13 (Memphis, TN).  CBS:  3 (Memphis, TN).  NBC:  5 (Memphis, TN).
TUPELO.  ABC:  13 (Memphis, TN).  CBS:  3 (Memphis, TN), 4 (Columbus, MS).  NBC:  5 (Memphis, TN), 9 (Tupelo, MS).
COLUMBUS and STARKVILLE.  CBS:  4 (Columbus, MS).
GREENVILLE.  ABC:  6 (Greenwood, MS), 10 (El Dorado, AR).  CBS:  12 (Jackson, MS).  NBC:  3 (Jackson, MS).
GREENWOOD.  ABC:  6 (Greenwood, MS).  CBS:  12 (Jackson, MS).  NBC:  3 (Jackson, MS).
JACKSON.  ABC:  16 (Jackson, MS).  CBS:  12 (Jackson, MS).  NBC:  3 (Jackson, MS).
BROOKHAVEN.  CBS:  12 (Jackson, MS).  NBC:  3 (Jackson, MS).
NATCHEZ.  CBS:  8 (Monroe, LA), 12 (Jackson, MS).  NBC:  3 (Jackson, MS), 5 (Alexandria, LA).
VICKSBURG.  CBS:  8 (Monroe, LA), 12 (Jackson, MS).  NBC:  3 (Jackson, MS).
McCOMB.  ABC:  2 (Baton Rouge, LA).  CBS:  4 (New Orleans, LA), 9 (Baton Rouge, LA), 12 (Jackson, MS).  NBC:  3 (Jackson, MS).
MERIDIAN.  CBS:  11 (Meridian, MS).
LAUREL.  ABC:  13 (Biloxi, MS).  CBS:  11 (Meridian, MS).  NBC:  7 (Laurel, MS).
HATTIESBURG.  ABC:  13 (Biloxi, MS).  NBC:  7 (Laurel, MS).
BILOXI.  ABC:  8 (New Orleans, LA), 13 (Biloxi, MS).  CBS:  4 (New Orleans, LA), 5 (Mobile, AL).  NBC:  6 (New Orleans, LA).
PASCAGOULA.  ABC:  3 (Pensacola, FL), 13 (Biloxi, MS).  CBS:  5 (Mobile, AL).  NBC:  10 (Mobile, AL).

kcguy
Romania

« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2015, 07:27:26 PM »

The upstate area had originally been allocated two VHF channels, which were grabbed by stations in Greenville and Asheville. 

I wasn't aware channel numbers were assigned to specific markets.  I just assumed a number was assigned when there weren't any nearby stations with the same number.

Since stations from Canada and Mexico spill over the border, does that mean some sort of allocation system was pre-negotiated between the FCC and its counterparts?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2015, 08:20:56 PM »

Since stations from Canada and Mexico spill over the border, does that mean some sort of allocation system was pre-negotiated between the FCC and its counterparts?

Yes (although technically the agreement was pre-negotiated between the State Department and its Canadian counterpart, not the FCC).  The U.S.-Canada agreement is available online here.
kcguy
Romania

« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2015, 06:44:29 PM »

KENTUCKY
ELIZABETHTOWN and LOUISVILLE.  ABC:  32 (Louisville, KY).  CBS:  11 (Louisville, KY).  NBC:  3 (Louisville, KY).
DANVILLE.  ABC:  62 (Lexington, KY).  CBS:  11 (Louisville, KY), 27 (Lexington, KY).  NBC:  3 (Louisville, KY), 18 (Lexington, KY).
FRANKFORT.  ABC:  12 (Cincinnati, OH), 32 (Louisville, KY), 62 (Lexington, KY).  CBS:  11 (Louisville, KY), 27 (Lexington, KY).  NBC:  3 (Louisville, KY), 18 (Lexington, KY).
MAYSVILLE.  ABC:  12 (Cincinnati, OH).  CBS:  9 (Cincinnati, OH).  NBC:  5 (Cincinnati, OH).
LEXINGTON and RICHMOND.  ABC:  62 (Lexington, KY).  CBS:  27 (Lexington, KY).  NBC:  18 (Lexington, KY).
SOMERSET.  ABC:  6 (Knoxville, TN), 62 (Lexington, KY).  CBS:  10 (Knoxville, TN), 27 (Lexington, KY).  NBC:  18 (Lexington, KY).
CORBIN and MIDDLESBORO.  ABC:  6 (Knoxville, TN).  CBS:  10 (Knoxville, TN).
HARLAN.  ABC:  6 (Knoxville, TN), 13 (Asheville, NC).  CBS:  10 (Knoxville, TN).
ASHLAND.  ABC:  13 (Huntington, WV).  CBS:  8 (Charleston, WV).  NBC:  3 (Huntington, WV).
PIKEVILLE.  ABC:  13 (Huntington, WV).  CBS:  8 (Charleston, WV).  NBC:  3 (Huntington, WV), 6 (Bluefield, WV).
OWENSBORO.  ABC:  7 (Evansville, IN).  CBS:  25 (Evansville, IN).  NBC:  14 (Evansville, IN).
MADISONVILLE.  ABC:  7 (Evansville, IN).  CBS:  5 (Nashville, TN), 25 (Evansville, IN).  NBC:  4 (Nashville, TN), 6 (Paducah, KY).
MAYFIELD and PADUCAH.  ABC:  3 (Harrisburg, IL).  CBS:  12 (Cape Girardeau, MO).  NBC:  6 (Paducah, KY).
MURRAY.  ABC:  3 (Harrisburg, IL), 8 (Nashville, TN).  CBS:  5 (Nashville, TN), 12 (Cape Girardeau, MO).  NBC:  4 (Nashville, TN), 6 (Paducah, KY).
GLASGOW and HOPKINSVILLE.  ABC:  8 (Nashville, TN).  CBS:  5 (Nashville, TN).  NBC:  4 (Nashville, TN).
BOWLING GREEN.  ABC:  8 (Nashville, TN), 13 (Bowling Green, KY).  CBS:  5 (Nashville, TN).  NBC:  4 (Nashville, TN).
kcguy
Romania

« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2015, 07:22:31 PM »

OHIO
CINCINNATI.  ABC:  12 (Cincinnati, OH).  CBS:  9 (Cincinnati, OH).  NBC:  5 (Cincinnati, OH).  IND:  19 (Cincinnati, OH).
HAMILTON.  ABC:  12 (Cincinnati, OH).  CBS:  7 (Dayton, OH), 9 (Cincinnati, OH).  NBC:  2 (Dayton, OH), 5 (Cincinnati, OH).  IND:  19 (Cincinnati, OH).
GREENVILLE.  ABC:  22 (Dayton, OH).  CBS:  7 (Dayton, OH), 9 (Cincinnati, OH).  NBC:  2 (Dayton, OH).
DAYTON.  ABC:  12 (Cincinnati, OH), 22 (Dayton, OH).  CBS:  7 (Dayton, OH), 9 (Cincinnati, OH).  NBC:  2 (Dayton, OH).  IND:  16 (Dayton, OH).
TROY.  ABC:  22 (Dayton, OH).  CBS:  7 (Dayton, OH).  NBC:  2 (Dayton, OH).  IND:  16 (Dayton, OH).
CELINA.  ABC:  21 (Fort Wayne, IN).  CBS:  7 (Dayton, OH), 15 (Fort Wayne, IN).  NBC:  2 (Dayton, OH), 33 (Fort Wayne, IN), 35 (Lima, OH).
LIMA.  ABC:  24 (Toledo, OH).  CBS:  7 (Dayton, OH), 11 (Toledo, OH), 15 (Fort Wayne, IN).  NBC:  13 (Toledo, OH), 35 (Lima, OH).
SPRINGFIELD.  ABC:  6 (Columbus, OH), 22 (Dayton, OH).  CBS:  7 (Dayton, OH), 10 (Columbus, OH).  NBC:  2 (Dayton, OH), 4 (Columbus, OH).
BELLEFONTAINE.  ABC:  6 (Columbus, OH).  CBS:  7 (Dayton, OH), 10 (Columbus, OH).  NBC:  2 (Dayton, OH), 4 (Columbus, OH).
CHILLICOTHE, COLUMBUS, DELAWARE, LANCASTER, MARION, MOUNT VERNON, and NEWARK.  ABC:  6 (Columbus, OH).  CBS:  10 (Columbus, OH).  NBC:  4 (Columbus, OH).
ZANESVILLE.  ABC:  6 (Columbus, OH).  CBS:  10 (Columbus, OH).  NBC:  4 (Columbus, OH), 18 (Zanesville, OH).
COSHOCTON.  ABC:  6 (Columbus, OH).  CBS:  9 (Steubenville, OH), 10 (Columbus, OH).  NBC:  4 (Columbus, OH), 7 (Wheeling, WV), 18 (Zanesville, OH).
ATHENS.  ABC:  13 (Huntington, WV).  CBS:  8 (Charleston, WV).  NBC:  3 (Huntington, WV), 4 (Columbus, OH).
PORTSMOUTH.  ABC:  13 (Huntington, WV).  CBS:  8 (Charleston, WV).  NBC:  3 (Huntington, WV).
MARIETTA.  ABC:  13 (Huntington, WV).  CBS:  8 (Charleston, WV).  NBC:  3 (Huntington, WV), 7 (Wheeling, WV), 15 (Parkersburg, WV).
CAMBRIDGE.  CBS:  9 (Steubenville, OH).  NBC:  7 (Wheeling, WV).
STEUBENVILLE.  ABC:  4 (Pittsburgh, PA).  CBS:  2 (Pittsburgh, PA), 9 (Steubenville, OH).  NBC:  7 (Wheeling, WV), 11 (Pittsburgh, PA).
EAST LIVERPOOL.  ABC:  4 (Pittsburgh, PA), 5 (Cleveland, OH), 33 (Youngstown, OH).  CBS:  2 (Pittsburgh, PA), 8 (Cleveland, OH), 9 (Steubenville, OH), 27 (Youngstown, OH).  NBC:  3 (Cleveland, OH), 7 (Wheeling, WV), 11 (Pittsburgh, PA), 21 (Youngstown, OH).
YOUNGSTOWN.  ABC:  33 (Youngstown, OH).  CBS:  27 (Youngstown, OH).  NBC:  21 (Youngstown, OH).
NEW PHILADELPHIA.  ABC:  5 (Cleveland, OH).  CBS:  8 (Cleveland, OH), 9 (Steubenville, OH).  NBC:  3 (Cleveland, OH), 7 (Wheeling, WV).
WARREN.  ABC:  5 (Cleveland, OH), 33 (Youngstown, OH).  CBS:  8 (Cleveland, OH), 27 (Youngstown, OH).  NBC:  3 (Cleveland, OH), 21 (Youngstown, OH).
ASHTABULA.  ABC:  5 (Cleveland, OH), 24 (Erie, PA).  CBS:  8 (Cleveland, OH), 35 (Erie, PA).  NBC:  3 (Cleveland, OH), 12 (Erie, PA).
ASHLAND, CANTON, CLEVELAND, and WOOSTER.  ABC:  5 (Cleveland, OH).  CBS:  8 (Cleveland, OH).  NBC:  3 (Cleveland, OH).  IND:  43 (Lorain, OH), 61 (Cleveland, OH).
AKRON.  ABC:  5 (Cleveland, OH), 23 (Akron, OH).  CBS:  8 (Cleveland, OH).  NBC:  3 (Cleveland, OH).  IND:  43 (Lorain, OH), 61 (Cleveland, OH).
MANSFIELD.  ABC:  5 (Cleveland, OH).  CBS:  8 (Cleveland, OH), 10 (Columbus, OH).  NBC:  3 (Cleveland, OH).
SANDUSKY.  ABC:  5 (Cleveland, OH).  CBS:  8 (Cleveland, OH), 11 (Toledo, OH).  NBC:  3 (Cleveland, OH), 13 (Toledo, OH).  IND:  43 (Lorain, OH), 61 (Cleveland, OH).
TIFFIN.  ABC:  5 (Cleveland, OH), 24 (Toledo, OH).  CBS:  11 (Toledo, OH).  NBC:  13 (Toledo, OH).
TOLEDO.  ABC:  7 (Detroit, MI), 24 (Toledo, OH).  CBS:  2 (Detroit, MI), 11 (Toledo, OH).  NBC:  13 (Toledo, OH).
BOWLING GREEN.  ABC:  24 (Toledo, OH).  CBS:  11 (Toledo, OH).  NBC:  13 (Toledo, OH).  IND:  50 (Detroit, MI).
FINDLAY and FREMONT.  ABC:  24 (Toledo, OH).  CBS:  11 (Toledo, OH).  NBC:  13 (Toledo, OH).
DEFIANCE.  ABC:  21 (Fort Wayne, IN), 24 (Toledo, OH).  CBS:  11 (Toledo, OH), 15 (Fort Wayne, IN).  NBC:  13 (Toledo, OH), 33 (Fort Wayne, IN).

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies