The Wrestling Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:55:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  The Wrestling Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: The Wrestling Thread  (Read 5547 times)
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2015, 01:45:00 AM »

What do you watch the PPVs on?
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2015, 12:14:58 PM »

I have two friends who are also WWE fans, so we usually alternate each other's houses on where we watch the Big 4.

The problem with going to a local sports bar/restaurant to see the "Big 4" is the places are always packed those nights and hard to get a seat, though if there's a really good lower-scale PPV (like Extreme Rules and TLC), then we might do that.

I presume you watch your PPVs for free through WWE Network? Tongue
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2015, 04:08:10 AM »
« Edited: February 20, 2015, 04:16:09 AM by Eraserhead »

I have two friends who are also WWE fans, so we usually alternate each other's houses on where we watch the Big 4.

The problem with going to a local sports bar/restaurant to see the "Big 4" is the places are always packed those nights and hard to get a seat, though if there's a really good lower-scale PPV (like Extreme Rules and TLC), then we might do that.

Haha, if you consider $9.99 a month free... Tongue

The Network is basically what sucked me back into watching wrestling (after ignoring it for about a decade) because I initially only subscribed to it in order to get access to all of the classic PPVs and some of the "Beyond The Ring" type shows that break kayfabe.

But with the new PPVs being aired every month on there as well, there really wasn't any reason not to watch them...
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2015, 04:19:05 AM »

By the way, I'll also be going to a WWE Live Event (aka house show) next Friday at Madison Square Garden with a bunch of my friends from work. It's being billed as "Hulk Hogan Appreciation Night". I'll let you guys know how it is.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2015, 02:31:12 PM »

Haha, if you consider $9.99 a month free... Tongue

The Network is basically what sucked me back into watching wrestling (after ignoring it for about a decade) because I initially only subscribed to it in order to get access to all of the classic PPVs and some of the "Beyond The Ring" type shows that break kayfabe.

But with the new PPVs being aired every month on there as well, there really wasn't any reason not to watch them...
lol, not free at all then. I don't know how I missed that considering it's advertised more on TV than WWE Twitter hashtags at this point. Tongue

I should get it. I'm just not sure if it's worth while considering the way me and my friends prefer to watch present-day PPVs. Getting all the classic PPVs for free would definitely be the main reason if I get it. Armageddon 2000, Judgment Day 2002, Survivor Series 2002/2003, Taboo Tuesday 2004, Unforgiven 2007.....all such great PPVs I'd like to see again (and more).

I can see how stuff like that can get you back into wrestling. Never seen the Beyond the Ring stuff, though I've heard Legend's House is supposed to be pretty funny and good.

By the way, I'll also be going to a WWE Live Event (aka house show) next Friday at Madison Square Garden with a bunch of my friends from work. It's being billed as "Hulk Hogan Appreciation Night". I'll let you guys know how it is.
Ugh, Hulk Hogan lol. His ring performance whenever he returns is very boring and a "we heard that last time" sort of thing. I respect the guy and all he's done, just he should be more of the Ted DiBiase or Sgt. Slaughter type and come back once a year for a classic WWF moment of some sort.

Have fun though!
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2015, 02:45:48 PM »

Oh and I got to ask. Do you own/have you ever played WWE 2K15 (for the PS4 or PS3)?

I haven't had the game for long, but man is it addicting. All the match types, choice of wrestlers (I prefer the Miz, and had him win the WWE World Heavyweight Title in the first match I played on it Tongue), and other stuff aside, I've found myself playing MyCareer mode a lot where you start off at NXT with your create-a-superstar and build your way up gaining attributes, fans or hatred from the audience, and rivalries.

Graphics are really nice to and plenty of unlockables. I hate the new grappling system they introduced, but besides that match-play isn't challenging and commentary (usually) feels realistic.

So I would really recommend getting it if you already have one of the system's it's sold for.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2015, 05:59:17 PM »

That sounds great! I'm actually picking up my WrestleMania ticket from my friend tomorrow at a showing of Fast Lane. Our university's professional wrestling club is going together since its only about an hour away.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2015, 02:34:33 AM »

LeBron, I do own WWE 2K15, but I have it on X-Box 360. It's definitely a fun game to just pick up and play. I hope they expand the "universe" mode in it next time around though. That could be a really cool mode but it needs some work.

That sounds great! I'm actually picking up my WrestleMania ticket from my friend tomorrow at a showing of Fast Lane. Our university's professional wrestling club is going together since its only about an hour away.

Wow, your university has professional wrestling club? Interesting. What do you guys do exactly? Just watch and chat about wrestling?

That's awesome though, have fun!
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2015, 05:09:33 AM »

LeBron, I do own WWE 2K15, but I have it on X-Box 360. It's definitely a fun game to just pick up and play. I hope they expand the "universe" mode in it next time around though. That could be a really cool mode but it needs some work.

Wow, your university has professional wrestling club? Interesting. What do you guys do exactly? Just watch and chat about wrestling?

That's awesome though, have fun!

I go to UC Berkeley. My friend teaches a course called Between the Ropes, which has to do with analysis of the business, various story tropes, gender representation, etc. He was actually featured in PWI for it which was really cool. We have meetings, go to local indy shows, watch PPVs on campus, listen to talks (there's actually a former contestant from Tough Enough that we've had guest lecture a couple times since he works in Berkeley) -- I usually don't attend as much as I get really busy with other things, but it's pretty fun.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2015, 04:10:13 AM »

So did any of you guys bother watching Trashlane? I mean I wasn't expecting much but that was one seriously underwhelming show...
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2015, 05:08:53 AM »

It was. I'm confused what the plan is from here. This RTWM seems so....underwhelming.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2015, 07:27:46 PM »

Well, I went to the MSG show last night and I definitely felt like I got my money's worth. It was a fun night with a really diverse and lively crowd. Almost every match was really good and the Hulk Hogan tribute was really pretty fantastic.

Depending exactly where it's held, I'm probably going to look into going to Summerslam now.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2015, 08:34:11 PM »

So Brock Lesnar apparently walked out of Raw last week without doing whatever he was supposed to do (attack Reigns?) because he was pissed off about something (contract negotiations with WWE?). Then a few nights later he shows up at UFC 184 in a business suit, chatting it up with UFC President Dana White. Haha, what a troll Brock is!

I have a feeling this Wrestlemania is going to turn into a glorious disaster!
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2015, 09:37:47 AM »

Anyway, here are some more elaborate thoughts on the MSG show I went to (originally posted this on a different forum):

Very fun show. Lots of solid matches with largely predictable results (but what else can you expect at a house show...). This is the first time I've been to a live WWF/E show since the late 90s and I was impressed by it. Assuming Summerslam ends up being held at the Barclays Center, I'm almost certainly going to go to it after attending this.

A couple of random notes (sorry if it's a lot of the same stuff from other reports):

- Very diverse crowd. Lots of black and hispanic families with kids who loved Cena and Reigns. Lots of groups of white guys in their 20s and 30s who hated Cena and Reigns. Absolutely nobody was giving anybody a hard time about who they were cheering for or cheering against though. Good atmosphere. Everyone came together over their appreciation for Hulk Hogan and the other legends later on in the show.

- It was cool to see a bunch of heels win matches at a house show (Bad News Barrett, Tyson Kidd & Cesaro, Nikki Bella, etc.) even if it was only because they went in with titles that they weren't going to drop without being on TV.

-There were "We want Lesnar" chants at times during the show in my section. Considering he's not even coming out at the shows he's supposed to come out on these days, I knew he was never going to show up...

- There were also a ton of "woos" going on even before the show started. It made me think Flair might show up and he did. I just wish that Piper had showed up too!

- The Triple Threat match for the IC title was really damn good. Ambrose was more popular than Ziggler with this crowd. Barrett had a lot of heat.

- The New Day was booed quite a bit (especially after they lost their match).

- The Chris Jericho segment/match with Harper was high quality stuff and it was well received.

- Paige was over big time with this crowd.

- Triple H acted like a babyface throughout the evening (made Cena vs. Rusev a title match, paid tribute to Hogan, etc.) and was treated like a babyface by the crowd.

- Cena and Rusev actually put on a great match that the crowd was on fire for. It was interesting to see Rusev tap out (even though the referee wasn't present). That's something you don't see on TV.

- R-Truth vs. Fandango was used as a piss/beer break match by many people including myself.

- Even though Orton vs. Wyatt was technically a heel vs. heel match, both guys received babyface reactions (especially Orton). Solid match, makes me wonder if we'll see a program between them on TV in the near future.

- The Hogan tribute was quite lengthy but the crowd ate it up. Everyone loved Hogan, Flair, The Outsiders, Jimmy Hart, Triple H, etc. Nobody really seemed like they were trying to stay in character and the emotions seemed genuine. The only things that were booed in this segment were the two MSG representatives who came out (lol) and the mention of WCW (weird).

- The main event felt a little rushed as they were clearly pressed for time but it was still decent. Rollins had a lot of heat but Reigns had a decent amount too (heh). Everyone loved Daniel Bryan. Reigns won with the spear.

In summary, this was a very enjoyable show! I'm glad I went.

Here's a decent article about the show (with all of the results included):

http://www.businessinsider.com/wwe-madison-square-garden-house-show-hulk-hogan-john-cena-wrestling-2015-2
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2015, 07:25:59 PM »

So it's almost time for Wrestlemania. I can't say I'm super-excited for it...
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2015, 09:42:15 PM »

I'm actually going to be there and I have to agree. Supposedly it's possible for Brock to keep the belt though, which I don't necessarily mind.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2015, 07:26:06 PM »

I'm actually going to be there and I have to agree. Supposedly it's possible for Brock to keep the belt though, which I don't necessarily mind.

I don't see that happening. I feel like WWE is just leaking bogus information to try and keep the smarks interested. Reigns is going to win and he may very well end up getting booed out of the arena afterward.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2015, 08:12:14 PM »

I don't see that happening. I feel like WWE is just leaking bogus information to try and keep the smarks interested. Reigns is going to win and he may very well end up getting booed out of the arena afterward.

I hope that's exactly what happens. I have zero interest in it this year and as someone who's watched it since age 2, that's pretty bad.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2015, 12:46:18 PM »

Scenario #1 we see Reigns win clean and all hell breaks loose turning him into a heel the next day.

Scenario #2 Reigns wins by effectively turning heel, turning Lesnar face.

Scenario #3 Lesnar wins despite Reigns turning heel.

Scenario #4 Lesnar wins and Reigns stays face.

What's the most palatable scenario at this point?
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2015, 05:55:41 PM »

Brock just said on ESPN that he'll stay with WWE. I think he wins on Sunday now. I'll post my other predictions later.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2015, 07:59:43 PM »
« Edited: March 24, 2015, 08:01:52 PM by Dr. Cynic »

I'm guessing with Lesnar re-signing, they'll get what they want for next year's show. Brock VS Rock to break their own (worked number, I might add), attendance record.

They only got 78,000 in the Pontiac Silverdome for Wrestlemania III, but they wanted to beat the Pope who drew 88,000, so they came up with a number that wasn't even physically possible, which was 93,173... Incidentally, on a plaque they put up at the Silverdome with all their big attendence events, they actually gave the Pope a worked number (93,500) so that he wouldn't appear below Wrestlemania. Which I think is very amusing.

In Dallas, no matter what, they're going to announce 100,000 and they're very likely going to do more than they did at Summerslam 1992 at Wembly Stadium, which is their actual attendance record at about 80,000.

But no matter what, if it's even close to that, they're gonna announce 100,000 people. So, they want that big money match. Brock VS Rock would do it and it's one they want to do...

I think they have to know that Reigns is another Kevin Nash in 1994... The guy isn't getting over and isn't going to draw as champion. They're pretty desperate right now, really...
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2015, 10:02:12 PM »

Vince definitely needs to make a last minute change to the results on this match. Usually, the babyface prevails after the main event which the WWE seems to think is Reigns (and my God, that would be so cringeworthy if the night ended with Reigns holding the title and all you could hear is boos). On the other hand, Lesnar has held that title far too long only to be barely be present in the company, and I highly doubt anyone wants to see another "WM moment" where that moment is just more Lesnar demolition. The ending should be unexpected with a cash-in and maybe a face turn by one of the three of some sort. Seth Rollins might be the best possible option to end the night/WWE Title Match with.

Regarding the other card matches, I have a feeling the IC Title Ladder match will be one of the top matches of the night. Crowded ladder matches are always exciting, especially when it features Ziggler, Ambrose, and Cody Rhodes. Interesting storyline, to.

Rusev vs. Cena was a stupid decision by Creative. It's literally WrestleMania 20 all over again when "SuperCena" overcame the odds and beat the "unstoppable" Big Show and won the U.S. Title. That's what this is going to be (assuming Cena wins). If anything, they should have pushed Swagger more and gave him the title shot. The crowd would have loved to see the "anti-American" lose the U.S. Title to the "Real American."

The Andre the Giant Battle Royal should be fun to watch - I'm putting my bets on Big Show winning it, or Sheamus if he ends up being in the battle royal.

Undertaker vs. Wyatt.....the build-up here was weak  (you can only do so much when only one of the two in the rivalry will actually show up). This obviously isn't going to be as exciting anymore without the streak on the line.

HHH vs. Sting I'm looking forward to. I'm pulling for Triple H, and the Authority might get involved in this one to try to rig it for the Game, but I see this match being won by Sting.

Fatal 4-Way for the Tag Team Titles (Pre-Match) - Really, really stupid that they're giving talented stars like these guys the shaft from the main card while they put a freaking divas tag team match in it's place.

X-Box 360? Boo. Tongue

j/k. So anyway, yeah I agree universe mode needs several improvements. I don't play that mode very often (I usually play MyCareer, am working on the 2K15 Showcase, and do online gameplay). MyCareer I've heard actually ends for your created superstar once you win the WWE Title (I don't know if that's really true or not yet), but if that is true, that definitely needs to be fixed for WWE 2K16.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2015, 11:04:56 PM »

Welp, the day has come. Final predictions?
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2015, 10:04:05 AM »

Intercontinental ladder match: I assume Bryan wins this. Nothing else makes sense. Not that has stopped WWE before.

Sting-H cubed: I think Sting wins. But since they have made this a WWE/WCW storyline I could see Hunter winning.

Wyatt-Undertaker:  Wyatt should win. Undertaker will win.

Rusev-Cena: Spoiler: Cena Wins.

Orton-Rollins: Rollins

Tag match: Aj & Paige

Lesnar-Reigns: Lesnar. 
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2015, 04:47:35 PM »

Finally here, hot as all hell. Got to see Booker T.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies