Were you personally offended by Charlie Hebdo's anti-religious satire?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:27:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Were you personally offended by Charlie Hebdo's anti-religious satire?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Where you personallyoffended by Charlie Hebdo's anti-religious satire?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 61

Author Topic: Were you personally offended by Charlie Hebdo's anti-religious satire?  (Read 2888 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2015, 10:56:55 PM »

What I meant is that no one should feel personally offended by a cartoon mocking their religion.

Why not? If there's a right to offend then surely there must also be a right to be offended. Which is, needless to say, completely different from a right to firebomb offices and/or gun down people at an editorial meeting.

I can't control other people's feelings, obviously. The point was that I strongly dislike the ideological ramifications of such feeling.

Such feeling is a natural outflow of feeling personally attached to one's religion, rather than just giving it some sort of dry intellectual assent.

OK, I'm not religious, so my knowledge of this is somewhat limited, but I'm pretty sure that there are many Catholics who take their faith seriously and yet don't give a damn about Charlie Hebdo's cartoons making fun of Jesus or the Pope. How would the fact that someone is making fun or your faith diminish it in any way? At most, your reaction could be one of pity toward the cartoonists if you believe God will punish them eventually.

If someone jokes about a person's mom, some people will take offense, others will laugh it off. Some might be a little offended but still think it's a little funny.  It's the same thing.  God, Jesus, Mohammed - these are people who mean a lot to those who are religious.

There is a fundamental difference between persons and ideas. Ideas, by virtue of being ideas (and from the point where we accept to live in a free society) are inherently subject to the possibility of rebuttal and mockery.

Is Muhammad not a person?

Of course he is, but a Muslim flipping out over him being mocked would be like me doing the same over someone mocking Guy Picciotto, or Seth MacFarlane, or Quentin Tarantino, or one of the hipster Christian bloggers I follow...or hell even opebo or Libertas.

And I've explained above why I don't get offended by people mocking Jesus.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2015, 10:58:55 PM »

ITT, BRTD admits he has religious levels of obsession with opebo.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2015, 11:03:26 PM »

ITT, BRTD admits he has religious levels of obsession with opebo.

No you're missing the point. I'm just including him in what's basically a list of "people I like".
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2015, 06:30:49 AM »

What I meant is that no one should feel personally offended by a cartoon mocking their religion.

Why not? If there's a right to offend then surely there must also be a right to be offended. Which is, needless to say, completely different from a right to firebomb offices and/or gun down people at an editorial meeting.

I can't control other people's feelings, obviously. The point was that I strongly dislike the ideological ramifications of such feeling.

Such feeling is a natural outflow of feeling personally attached to one's religion, rather than just giving it some sort of dry intellectual assent.

OK, I'm not religious, so my knowledge of this is somewhat limited, but I'm pretty sure that there are many Catholics who take their faith seriously and yet don't give a damn about Charlie Hebdo's cartoons making fun of Jesus or the Pope. How would the fact that someone is making fun or your faith diminish it in any way? At most, your reaction could be one of pity toward the cartoonists if you believe God will punish them eventually.

If someone jokes about a person's mom, some people will take offense, others will laugh it off. Some might be a little offended but still think it's a little funny.  It's the same thing.  God, Jesus, Mohammed - these are people who mean a lot to those who are religious.

There is a fundamental difference between persons and ideas. Ideas, by virtue of being ideas (and from the point where we accept to live in a free society) are inherently subject to the possibility of rebuttal and mockery.

Muslims don't get offended by cartoons of Muhammad because they mock the person, but because they defy the ban on depictions of the Prophet and thus mock the beliefs of Islam.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2015, 08:30:19 AM »

Muslims don't get offended by cartoons of Muhammad because they mock the person, but because they defy the ban on depictions of the Prophet and thus mock the beliefs of Islam.

i'm glad you're here to tell us what muslims think
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2015, 01:44:39 PM »

And you are quite entitled to be discomforted by other people taking offence to something (or whatever). That is the whole point.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2015, 01:54:55 PM »

Please explain what do you mean by "ideological ramifications".
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2015, 01:59:37 PM »

What about 'Piss Christ?'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piss_Christ
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2015, 02:10:07 PM »

I feel like the Charlie Hebdo people would've been disappointed if no one had been offended by their cartoons.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2015, 02:58:00 PM »

I don't think it's anti-religious, and it's definitely not satire.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2015, 03:23:56 PM »

Of course he is, but a Muslim flipping out over him being mocked would be like me doing the same over someone mocking Guy Picciotto, or Seth MacFarlane, or Quentin Tarantino, or one of the hipster Christian bloggers I follow...or hell even opebo or Libertas.

This is one of the weirdest comparisons that I've read recently. It's funny the idea of Muhammad filming Reservoir Dogs or being a bearded hipster who writes his experiences and shows his outfits in a blog. Speechless. Truly.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2015, 04:02:17 PM »

i'm glad you're here to tell us what muslims think

I've got to admit, that's a pretty good burn.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2015, 05:20:11 PM »

Not offended. For the reason mentioned before. Really you CAN'T desecrate Jesus, so any attempts to do so are nothing to be worried about. It's like throwing grains of sand at a tank.

This is one of the weirdest comparisons that I've read recently. It's funny the idea of Muhammad filming Reservoir Dogs or being a bearded hipster who writes his experiences and shows his outfits in a blog. Speechless. Truly.

I don't read any blogs about outfits. Can't think of when that was ever done. No the bloggers I'm thinking of mostly just post about current events and what they think Jesus would think about them and how Jesus was nothing like organized churches or the right wing agenda and was actually basically a proto-progressive SJW.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2015, 10:22:27 PM »

The only thing that offended me about it was that it was a piss poor piece of art that received government funding.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2015, 12:18:26 AM »

The more important point is that if you believe in Jesus, then you should NOT be offended by that, because it Jesus is real and is God then it means NOTHING.
Redalgo
United States

« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2015, 01:10:02 PM »

I've never read Charlie Hebdo and probably never will but anti-religious writings and statements from others have felt offensive to me in the past.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies