Were you personally offended by Charlie Hebdo's anti-religious satire? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 06:41:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Were you personally offended by Charlie Hebdo's anti-religious satire? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Where you personallyoffended by Charlie Hebdo's anti-religious satire?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 61

Author Topic: Were you personally offended by Charlie Hebdo's anti-religious satire?  (Read 2930 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« on: January 19, 2015, 02:48:50 PM »

While Charlie Hebdo's satire doesn't offend me, it's natural to feel offended at some points. People who claim they never been offended by any satire are less than sincere.

Of course, there's a fine difference between being offended and saying so out loud, and reacting with inexcusable violence. We shouldn't demonize those merely offended by Charlie Hebdo publications.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 01:54:55 PM »

What I meant is that no one should feel personally offended by a cartoon mocking their religion.

Why not? If there's a right to offend then surely there must also be a right to be offended. Which is, needless to say, completely different from a right to firebomb offices and/or gun down people at an editorial meeting.

I can't control other people's feelings, obviously. The point was that I strongly dislike the ideological ramifications of such feeling.

Please explain what do you mean by "ideological ramifications".
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies