Over 80 percent of Americans support mandatory labels on foods containing DNA
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:41:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Over 80 percent of Americans support mandatory labels on foods containing DNA
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Over 80 percent of Americans support mandatory labels on foods containing DNA  (Read 6057 times)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 19, 2015, 11:47:54 AM »
« edited: January 19, 2015, 11:49:46 AM by Governor Varavour »

Over 80 percent of Americans support “mandatory labels on foods containing DNA”

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The Oklahoma State survey result is probably an example of the intersection between scientific ignorance and political ignorance, both of which are widespread.

In this case, excessive and unnecessary warning labels on food products could confuse consumers, and divert their limited attention from real dangers.[/quote]

Hey, but GMO labeling isn't just playing off of fearmongering in an un-informed populace, right? This is admittedly strange though- don't people learn about DNA in high school? I know we did. There are also more gems of public ignorance:

These people are totally qualified to determine whether DNA is a risk to humans and to elect the government! Isn't democracy great!
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 01:36:30 PM »

Stop pandering to the Big DNA lobby that keeps the sheeple under a false sense of security. The public has a right to be informed.

I don't want DNA in muh foods.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 02:01:02 PM »

it's fair enough. Do you guys know what DNA stands for? It's "Deoxyribonucleic acid". (see I did THE RESEARCH!)

Let's break that down:

deoxy - no oxygen, we need oxygen to breath

nucleic - radioactive, like Hiroshima or Chernobyl

acid - melts peoples skin

May I ask you, do you - or your kids - to eat oxygen-free, radioactive, face-melting hamburgers!? Then say no to the Food Industry!!
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 06:28:27 PM »

General populace is pretty uninformed, what else is new?
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 06:44:41 PM »

Clearly the next step is to ban dihydrogen monoxide (DHMO).
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 06:49:44 PM »

True, and I remember the same point being made with a proposed ban on DHMO. The thing is, Simfan is right; most everyone who has gone to high school should know what DNA is.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 08:14:09 PM »

Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2015, 08:40:59 PM »

Well yes, but it's not that simple.  Millions of people have unwittingly become so physiologically dependent on DHMO, suddenly taking it away from them can result in death in just a few days.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2015, 08:57:50 PM »

Well yes, but it's not that simple.  Millions of people have unwittingly become so physiologically dependent on DHMO, suddenly taking it away from them can result in death in just a few days.

Only Bushie and his family will remain to repopulate the Earth.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2015, 01:38:08 AM »

Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2015, 03:08:36 AM »

I mean what's wrong with labels of foods containing DNA, people have the right to know what's on they're food, saying that I support the scientific evidence on foods that contain DNA, that there isn't any harm eating them.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2015, 03:41:50 AM »

Over 80% of Americans surveyed by this poll probably assumed that "DNA" referred to modified DNA, thus GMOs.I hope
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2015, 07:24:56 AM »

I would very much like to have the DNA of what I eat put on the label. In college my brother took part in an experiment where they bought a lot of fish from local supermarkets, tested the DNA of everything, and over a third of the fish was, genetically, a different species than what the stores claimed them to be
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2015, 12:54:57 PM »

I'm part of that 80%, including whether or not something is organic.

I would very much like to have the DNA of what I eat put on the label. In college my brother took part in an experiment where they bought a lot of fish from local supermarkets, tested the DNA of everything, and over a third of the fish was, genetically, a different species than what the stores claimed them to be

That is crazy, and it's why I do not ever trust businesses to make ALL decisions. I feel I definitely have a right to know what I am eating. At the local Giant Eagle the price of salmon, e.g., really varies - there's salmon here and salmon there. That's evidently "salmon" and "mystery salmon."
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2015, 03:23:54 PM »

Over 80% of Americans surveyed by this poll probably assumed that "DNA" referred to modified DNA, thus GMOs.I hope

I'm guessing they were thinking human DNA, given the recent story about human DNA being found in some meat products.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2015, 08:55:57 PM »
« Edited: November 12, 2015, 12:35:55 AM by Chancellor »

I mean what's wrong with labels of foods containing DNA, people have the right to know what's on they're food, saying that I support the scientific evidence on foods that contain DNA, that there isn't any harm eating them.

I really hope this is sarcastic. All food contains DNA.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2015, 01:07:49 AM »

I'm not sure that many of those Americans could give a more coherent reason for supporting labeling GMOs than DNA, so that's pretty cold comfort.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2015, 01:11:39 AM »

I think, it means modified DNA, eg. GMO, which are perfectly safe to consumes, but labels won't hurt anything.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2015, 07:33:27 AM »

salt?
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2015, 10:29:49 AM »

Hey, but GMO labeling isn't just playing off of fearmongering in an un-informed populace, right? This is admittedly strange though- don't people learn about DNA in high school? I know we did. There are also more gems of public ignorance:

These people are totally qualified to determine whether DNA is a risk to humans and to elect the government! Isn't democracy great!

There is no shortage of narcissists on the internet.

What we have learned from this exercise is most people in the country aren't 16 years old like you.  DNA's structure was only elucidated in the 1950s.  A fuller understanding of its role wasn't achieved until years later.  And it takes years after a discovery for it to finally trickle down into high school textbooks.  Even textbooks that are routinely used in medical schools are outdated.  It is cost and logistically prohibitive to updated textbooks every single year.  There are plenty of retirees who were never taught about DNA or at a minimum it was only briefly touched on.  I don't know for sure when the era of robust emphasized wide spread high school education about DNA began.

Further if you read the author's own statement...

The average person will go their entire life without ever being asked a direct question about DNA.  When you grow up and you are 50 we'll see how you do with a pop quiz about high school calculus or chemistry.  The author goes on to say this...

It's amazing that you took all that to mean "I'm smarter than everyone else and we should take away those people's right to vote."

And by the way who says you need to even know what DNA is to understand broad concepts of genetics?  You do realize there was tons of genetics research done before the discovery of the double helix?  I don't have to even know DNA exists to know identical twins look the same.  Gregor Mendel conducted his experiments over a century before the discovery of the double helix.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2015, 10:58:03 AM »

The bid to label and ban GMO is akin to the creationists demanding that we teach creationism in our schools. The moronic stupidity on the Left is just as bad as on the extreme right. It's dangerous - possibly more dangerous - because if you restrict our food supply to non-GMO, we risk not being able to feed everyone. GMO IS one reason we're going to feed an expanding global population.

Chipotle banning GMO food to placate liberal Democrats who were perpetually frightened by anything that landed on their plates was retarded. Here's a hint - corn is genetically modified. And has been for thousands of years.

The scientific community has repeatedly said GMO and the like in our food is perfectly safe. It's like how they said aspartame is perfectly safe, and yet some deluded liberals scream that aspartame is dangerous. Yes, if you chug it down by the boatload.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2015, 11:50:21 AM »

The bid to label and ban GMO is akin to the creationists demanding that we teach creationism in our schools. The moronic stupidity on the Left is just as bad as on the extreme right. It's dangerous - possibly more dangerous - because if you restrict our food supply to non-GMO, we risk not being able to feed everyone. GMO IS one reason we're going to feed an expanding global population.

Chipotle banning GMO food to placate liberal Democrats who were perpetually frightened by anything that landed on their plates was retarded. Here's a hint - corn is genetically modified. And has been for thousands of years.

The scientific community has repeatedly said GMO and the like in our food is perfectly safe. It's like how they said aspartame is perfectly safe, and yet some deluded liberals scream that aspartame is dangerous. Yes, if you chug it down by the boatload.

Ah, another Republican that can't tell the difference between a fact and religious faith.  Here's a helpful key:

GMO=FACT
creationism=religious faith

Not surprising.  Republicans never want to put FACTS on food labels.  The last thing a Republican wants is an informed electorate or consumer.

GMO, DNA, and whatever buzz words people want to throw out are irrelevant.  This Republican game has been going on for decades.  The smoke screen isn't fooling anyone.

http://articles.latimes.com/1990-03-08/news/mn-2914_1_food-labels

And anyone that says there are no issues with GMO crops is either completely stupid or knowingly pushing propaganda.

http://news.yahoo.com/monsanto-admitting-guilt-zombie-gmo-wheat-settlement-210908016.html
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2015, 12:11:13 PM »

There is nothing inherently wrong with consuming GMO's (indeed most are so stringently tested - Hawaian Papya aside, and that was a very unusual case - they are significantly safer than "normal" foods). the interesting thing (beyond the exact need for GMO's which are often overstated by techno utopians  - much of the real issues of food is related to unsexy issues like logistics) is the environmental and social impacts which are mixed. Which raises the question why just GMO's? Farming is an incredibly environmentally and socially destructive act, "organic" or not. Should food labels also have I dunno, the water usage? Or the use of soluble fertilisers? Or the use of immigrant labour? Or the carbon and methane emissions? Or the land usage? Etc.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2015, 01:13:29 PM »

There is nothing inherently wrong with consuming GMO's (indeed most are so stringently tested - Hawaian Papya aside, and that was a very unusual case - they are significantly safer than "normal" foods). the interesting thing (beyond the exact need for GMO's which are often overstated by techno utopians  - much of the real issues of food is related to unsexy issues like logistics) is the environmental and social impacts which are mixed. Which raises the question why just GMO's? Farming is an incredibly environmentally and socially destructive act, "organic" or not. Should food labels also have I dunno, the water usage? Or the use of soluble fertilisers? Or the use of immigrant labour? Or the carbon and methane emissions? Or the land usage? Etc.

I'm not sure I would label GMO foods as "safer".  We literally have thousands of years worth of data on "natural" foods and GMO food is such a new field.  You see this in the pharmaceutical industry as well.  You can do a study with a drug on thousands of people but only find certain horrible side effects once it is approved and administered to tens of millions of people over the course of years.  Having said that I don't have any reason to believe the few modifications I've read about are poisons or in any way nutritionally unusual.

I do agree with the environmental concerns.  That's why I posted that information about the zombie wheat.  GMO is different from a lot of other environmental impacts from modern farming in that you could literally have one gene escape into the environment and devastate global farming.  For example a gene that resists herbicides.

And I do agree with your questioning the necessity of widespread GMO use.  Crop yields in the US this year have been very good.  Unlike some of the other guys who are posting in this thread I have a true genuine interest in this topic.  The farm reports have been crazy.

The corn and soybean harvest is so large they are literally just dumping it outside in the parking lot and hoping they can get it inside somewhere before it is ruined.  The only other choice is selling it at a loss.  So yeah in an environment like that I think we have a little latitude to consider trimming GMO usage.

The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2015, 01:15:59 PM »
« Edited: November 12, 2015, 01:28:01 PM by Reagan Revolutionary »

Ah, another Republican that can't tell the difference between a fact and religious faith.  Here's a helpful key:

GMO=FACT
creationism=religious faith

Not surprising.  Republicans never want to put FACTS on food labels.  The last thing a Republican wants is an informed electorate or consumer.

GMO, DNA, and whatever buzz words people want to throw out are irrelevant.  This Republican game has been going on for decades.  The smoke screen isn't fooling anyone.

The momentum for an overhauling of food labels has been increasing in recent years, fueled by the demands of consumers, who have become more concerned with eating healthier foods, and by growing scientific data that has established a firm association between diet and certain illnesses, such as cancer and heart disease.

Similar changes were last proposed toward the end of the Jimmy Carter Administration but were abandoned by the Ronald Reagan Administration as part of its emphasis on deregulation.

http://articles.latimes.com/1990-03-08/news/mn-2914_1_food-labels

And anyone that says there are no issues with GMO crops is either completely stupid or knowingly pushing propaganda.

News emerged this week about a possible settlement between Monsanto and the farmers whose wheat was allegedly contaminated by unauthorized genetically modified seeds produced by the biotech firm. Lawyers for a contingent of soft-white wheat farmers in Kansas told a Kansas City federal judge that an agreement had been reached in a class-action lawsuit between Monsanto and a group of wheat farmers in Oregon, where “zombie” GMO wheat contaminated fields last year, throwing off wheat exports in the process.

http://news.yahoo.com/monsanto-admitting-guilt-zombie-gmo-wheat-settlement-210908016.html
We already have food labels. They’re on the nutrition label and they list the ingredients that go into the food itself. (Oh, by the way? Your whole “Republicans never want to put facts on food labels is laughable” given your first article. The HHS Secretary was a Republican, nominated by a Republican President, while the FDA Commissioner was also a Republican appointee. So yeah, nope.)

To add if it was GMO or organic is superfluous. The whole GMO v. organic movement is in fact based on hysteria, not reasonable information. This is a movement purely predicated on hysteria of the safety of our food rather than any serious movement that uses scientific data and evidence to prove that GMO foods are dangerous to us.

If this movement was in any way a serious movement that had scientific backing to demonstrate that labeling food GMO or organic would make a difference to consumers, I would be more favorable to the idea of labeling or banning GMO. There isn’t. Again: movement based on hysteria, rather than credible science, designed to create more costs for producers to commit to unnecessary actions because again, liberals (they are predominantly liberals who are calling against GMO and for organics. The Whole Foods Shoppers stereotype) think their food is crawling with the dead husks of rats. (Interesting side note - some of the hard candy we eat? Coated with the exoskeletons of insects).

Let me put it this way. The anti - GMO movement is essentially a movement predicated on the premise that somehow GMO made food is somehow bad for you. That’s empirically disproven by the scientific community. That’s where my religious analogy comes in. Just as scientists have proven evolution, they have also proven that the GMO movement is pretty much debunked and based on hysteria/belief about x and y, not a scientific basis for understanding.

The whole debate about Monsanto was never about the quality of the food they produce. It’s all about the seed arrangement they have with farmers, which have caused the drama.

Here’s a few comments about GMO from the scientific community

http://www.geneticliteracyproject.org/2014/07/08/climate-change-vs-gmos-comparing-the-independent-global-scientific-consensus/
http://www.realclearscience.com/blog/2013/10/massive-review-reveals-consensus-on-gmo-safety.html

Your own article doesn’t even signify what health risks this “zombie wheat” caused.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies