Has anyone in your family talked to you about their 2016 election preferences?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:27:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Has anyone in your family talked to you about their 2016 election preferences?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Has anyone in your family talked to you about their preferences in the 2016 US presidential election?
yes (spouse/partner)

yes (someone else in household)

yes (relative I don't live with)

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 64

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Has anyone in your family talked to you about their 2016 election preferences?  (Read 6576 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 19, 2015, 09:07:25 PM »

Inspired by Naso's latest:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=206023.msg4457074#msg4457074

I get it if it's your spouse, or someone else who you talk to every day, but Naso seems to have quite a few relatives he doesn't live with who keep giving him updates on who they'd like to see as president.  Just wondering if this is at all normal for Atlas posters.

Also, to clarify, I'm talking here about preferences for specific candidates, not just which party they want to see win.  For that reason, I don't think there's an easy equivalent to draw in countries with parliamentary systems.  (I guess something like "I hope Turnbull challenges Abbott" or something?)
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 09:08:50 PM »

Yes, of course I've spoken with all my relatives and friends about who they would like to see win and to rank primary candidates (normal Atlas poster)
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 09:26:42 PM »

My mom and grandmother are ready for Hillary
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 09:40:13 PM »

No, not a single person, none nada. I am fortunate to be largely among the sane. To have a preference at this point, in either party, to me is close to nutter.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 09:45:15 PM »

My parents are voting Republican.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 09:46:55 PM »

My family members don't talk to me about anything.  On the rare occasions when they do talk to me about politics, I tend to think I was adopted.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 09:47:14 PM »

Not about 2016. However, everyone in my family knows I love Hillary. Also, I got my parents to vote for Anthony Brown.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2015, 09:48:13 PM »

All of my crazy teabagging relatives are always more than happy to tell me who they worship at the moment.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2015, 09:49:53 PM »

My mom's supporting Clinton, my dad's supporting Bush.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2015, 09:49:59 PM »

My grandma and I talk about this at least twice a week. She is still in love with Rick Perry, and I still stand with Rand, so it doesn't seem very interesting.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2015, 09:56:52 PM »

Good timing for this topic, as our "4 family dinner" (Valpo cousins and our family) occurred yesterday. Basically, everyone is a liberal independent or a liberal Democrat, except for me (the moderate indy) and my dad (the moderate, business-oriented Republican). Politics and current events always come up, without fail.

Pretty much everyone expressed reserved support for Hillary, but were enthusiastic for Warren. They also LOLed at all of the GOP field, especially trashing Bush, Romney, and Pence (since we also discussed his war on public education here in Indiana).

Only my dad expressed the intent to vote Republican, but also joined in on the Bush- and Pence-hating and also nodded in tacit approval of Warren. I volunteered that I would consider Romney (which brought out some curious looks and smirks) and Kasich (which was taken much better), liked Warren, but wasn't sold on Hillary, but the politics conversation quickly changed once my brothers new puppy tried getting food on the table.

Friend-wise, most liberals I call friends are enthused about Hillary, and most Republican friends of mine hate her. Only one Republican friend gave a specific candidate, and that was Romney (she was a huge Romney supporter in 2012 and hates Obama).
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2015, 10:18:32 PM »

Ready for Hillary, sadly.
Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix
E: -6.90, S: -6.17

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2015, 10:24:55 PM »

"I'll tell you one thing: there's no way in hell I'm voting for Hillary," my conservadem redneck grandfather barks at me as I slowly cover up my Ready for Hillary shirt with my jacket.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2015, 10:46:48 PM »

My uncle in Nashville is undecided for the GOP primary. He's quite anti Hillary though.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2015, 10:58:26 PM »

The cult of personality has little appeal among my people. We like Democrats much better than Republicans, but as for individual candidates, who gives an Inks?
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2015, 11:02:09 PM »

My dad despises Hillary and told me he will vote for Romney over her if that is the match-up. And to my knowledge the only times he voted Republican for president were 1984 and 2000.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2015, 11:09:48 PM »

One of my cousins, who is a schoolteacher in NJ, is apparently a huge Chris Christie fan, which came up Xmas eve.

My other cousins are more liberal, and the older generations are mostly Repub, but no other sentiments of that sort came up.  When I was asked about Christie, I simply voiced my disapproval regarding his short-sighted cancellation of the ARC Tunnel, and left it at that.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2015, 11:22:28 PM »

Nope, too early and my family tend to be either very soft-spoken conservatives or very jaded apathetic liberals anyway

So until the Republican clown car gets rolling, no one cares. Then it'll be hoping for the victory or defeat of Hillary.

Lankester Merrin
fathermerrin2013
Rookie
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2015, 11:24:30 PM »

no, people in my family have lives
Oak Hills
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2015, 11:35:56 PM »

I've talked a bit about 2016 with my parents (i.e. speculation on who's running, making fun of potential candidates), but we haven't talked about whom we prefer.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2015, 11:45:56 PM »

My friends are generally on the progressive side. I don't really know or care what their views on the economy are, but they do strongly support gay rights and women's rights and I haven't asked, but that does probably mean they'll support Hillary as well.

My family (mom, dad, 1 sis, 1 bro) is generally happy that Rob Portman declined a run for President. They don't like him as much as they do Kasich, who my family wants to see run. And FTR, the 4 of them are all conservative Republicans, though my mom is "officially" a registered Democrat, and my sister isn't registered to vote.

As for other candidates, they're okay with most other potential GOP candidates (most notably Bush and Huckabee), but they can't stand Palin for the obvious reason that she's a wacko.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2015, 03:01:24 AM »

Other than my dad, a registered Republican who's now to the left of me, I don't recall anyone else in my family; my dad wants Warren.

My extended family, as I've lamented here before, is rather conservative, so I eschew politics around them if I can.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2015, 03:02:52 AM »

My mom (who usually only votes Democratic at the local/state level; voted Kerry/McCain/Romney) said that she will enthusiastically vote for Hillary Clinton. (yes yes I know)
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2015, 04:23:48 AM »

Other than my dad, a registered Republican who's now to the left of me, I don't recall anyone else in my family; my dad wants Warren.

lol
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2015, 04:59:44 AM »

Dad- Scott Walker
Mom- Jim Webb
Sister 1- Hillary Clinton
Sister 2- Martin O'Malley
Brother- Rand Paul

Your family includes both Webb and O'Malley supporters (in January 2015, one year before Iowa)?  I'm impressed (or appalled?) that we have people here whose family members even know who O'Malley and Webb are.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies