Should general elections be held earlier for weather-related reasons? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:25:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  Should general elections be held earlier for weather-related reasons? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should general elections be held later for weather-related reasons?
Yes - move them to October

Yes - move them to September or earlier

No - move them later

No - keep the status quo

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 31

Author Topic: Should general elections be held earlier for weather-related reasons?  (Read 21411 times)
Nichlemn

« on: January 20, 2015, 05:43:28 PM »

Now, I only know what the weather is like in the USA in early November by climate charts. But it seems to me that it's late enough to have a fair chance of wintry weather in many places. It's well established that poor weather has adverse effects on voter turnout. So wouldn't it be better if general elections were held in October? It seems to me that the primary reason for holding it as late as November was that the harvest would be over by then, an antiquated rationale.

Of course, there are many other reforms that would make voting easier and make this largely unnecessary, like expanding vote-by-mail, absentee voting, early voting and so on. But if those weren't an option, would this be a good idea?

(edit: poll should say "earlier")
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies