Which candidate do you think is completely overrated?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:27:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Which candidate do you think is completely overrated?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Which candidate do you think is completely overrated?  (Read 4740 times)
Abraham Reagan
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 2.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 20, 2015, 07:00:40 PM »

A lot of people talk about possible dark horse candidates coming and stealing the GOP primary like John Kasich or Mike Pence, but on the flip side, which candidate(s) do you think could be a major bust even though they may be considered a leading contender?
Devils30
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 07:02:10 PM »

Jeb.....Might not be what the GOP base wants and even if he's the nominee the Bush name destroys him vs Clinton.
stegosaurus
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 1.83

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 07:16:11 PM »

Clinton the Inevitable is an obvious choice, since we've already been through this once.

I don't think Jeb qualifies since everyone is assuming the "fresh blood" thing and his relative centrism is going to wipe him out. If anything, making the GE at all would be beating expectations for him.

I'll say Rubio. For all the hype, he is basically an inarticulate boob with no original ideas.
Württemberger
Rookie
Germany
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 07:48:15 PM »

Definitely Hillary Clinton. Almost everyone is acting as if it is a done deal that she will win in 2016.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 08:29:15 PM »

Jeb, Kasich, Biden (not running), Warren (ditto)
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 09:42:38 PM »

Carson.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 09:51:33 PM »

Hillary and Jeb.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 09:59:54 PM »

Hillary Clinton, easiest question in the world. If Hillary decides not to run I'm going to laugh at all the Hillary hacks and the entire Democratic Party. Not to mention people act like she's got the election in the bag, as if the country can't possibly get more Republican, because you know, demographics and stuff.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2015, 11:03:50 PM »
« Edited: January 20, 2015, 11:06:05 PM by OC »

Hillary Clinton, easiest question in the world. If Hillary decides not to run I'm going to laugh at all the Hillary hacks and the entire Democratic Party. Not to mention people act like she's got the election in the bag, as if the country can't possibly get more Republican, because you know, demographics and stuff.

Hilary Clinton is a Wallstreet Democrat, we have Martin O'Malley or Jim Webb or Joe Biden who will run despite a Clinton withdrawal who is less Wallstreeters. Hilary Clinton isn't a base Democrat, she is a consensus Democrat and just like if Harry Reid loses his seat, we will have a liberal democrat to replace Reid in Durbin or Schumer, and for president in 2016 with Martin O'Malley or Gillibrand in 2020.

But, Jeb by far is the most overrated candidate, he is still losing to Clinton, and GOP donors want him instead of Romney
OpinionatedGuy
Rookie
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2015, 11:04:00 PM »

Bush
Christie
Probably Clinton

Definitely, definitely Cruz. This guy isn't going anywhere this time.

How so? From where I stand he is easily one of the most politically talented Republicans in Washington today, and should not be discounted from winning the GOP nod.
yankeesfan
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2015, 12:02:32 AM »

Definitely, definitely Cruz. This guy isn't going anywhere this time.
I think he's the most underrated.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2015, 03:10:35 AM »

Rudy Giuliani
dmmidmi
dmwestmi
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2015, 07:57:27 AM »

A Clinton victory isn't inevitable, so she has to go on this list. I have a feeling that Warren would invite some very strong and negative reactions among suburban voters.

I have no idea why people talk about Kasich, Walker, and Jeb as if they're Presidential candidate material. Now that we have communication and media channels that aren't the radio, it's difficult for a candidate whose personality and demeanor is as interesting as watching paint dry to win a major party nomination.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2015, 08:26:39 AM »

Rand Paul- I really like his father, Rand comes across as a prick.
PresidentTRUMP
2016election

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2015, 08:37:52 AM »

Romney & Clinton
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2015, 12:46:33 PM »

Why would someone who has a 99% chance of winning the nomination and a 50% chance (at worst) of winning the general not run? Unless they really don't want to be president, which we already know isn't a problem for Hillary.

Anyway, the fact that so many clueless pundits and "political experts" still think Hillary could lose the Democratic primary shows that if anything, she's underrated.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2015, 12:52:26 PM »

Ben Carson
bobloblaw
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2015, 06:38:58 PM »

HillARY Clinton is the most overrated.
Bakersfield Uber Alles
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2015, 08:32:16 PM »

I don't doubt that she could win in 2016, but I think that Hillary's numbers are a bit high, especially in the Democratic primary.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2015, 02:44:28 AM »

Clinton would probably depend on who you ask. Yes she isn't assured to be President so I suppose in that sense she's over-rated. But she's basically assured to be the Democratic nominee if she runs (which is very likely) and would be the favourite (at least right now) against any of the current Republican field.

Something feels off about Jeb. Think he's a lightweight and his lack of recent campaigning will be exposed.

Rubio still ranks pretty high in betting stakes for "who will be the nominee for Team Republican", so naturally he's over-rated.

I think Walker gets over-rated by a lot of the conservatives on this board. The idelogical superstar that will save the Republican party (OK exaggerating but you get the point) he ain't.
Württemberger
Rookie
Germany
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2015, 08:43:36 AM »

Finally someone on this forum with common sense.
Württemberger
Rookie
Germany
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2015, 08:50:33 AM »

Why would someone who has a 99% chance of winning the nomination and a 50% chance (at worst) of winning the general not run? Unless they really don't want to be president, which we already know isn't a problem for Hillary.

Anyway, the fact that so many clueless pundits and "political experts" still think Hillary could lose the Democratic primary shows that if anything, she's underrated.

She is underrated? Ummm.. "Hillary will win Texas", "Hillary will win white women by 20 points", "Hillary will win 50 states", "Hillary is unbeatable", "Hillary will castrate the GOP field"... Does that ring a bell? LOL!
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2015, 10:11:49 AM »

She is underrated? Ummm.. "Hillary will win Texas", "Hillary will win white women by 20 points", "Hillary will win 50 states", "Hillary is unbeatable", "Hillary will castrate the GOP field"... Does that ring a bell? LOL!

I'll give you the fact that she used to be overrated in the GE (the "Hillary will sweep Appalachia/carry Texas!!1!1!" stuff was insufferable), but that seems to have calmed down a lot since the midterm slaughter and her approval ratings coming down to earth. I haven't seen any people saying those first three things any time recently aside from trolls trying to mock Hillary supporters, and the last two are just generic crowing that supporters of any candidate do.

However, the fact remains that she has been and still is underrated in the Democratic primary. Warren isn't running, so the only way Hillary doesn't get the nomination is if she doesn't run or dies.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2015, 10:51:16 AM »

Clinton, in the sense that some people seem to her as President in waiting.

Pence, because a guy who has a margin of victory seven points lower than Romney's, seems like an especially weak potential nominee.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2015, 11:11:22 AM »

Because she's been in the extremely high stress position of the national political spotlight for over 20 years consecutively and is too tired for another grueling 10 years of campaigns and governing, by the end of which she'll be nearly 80.

Because she doesn't want her grandchild to grow up with scurrilous accusations on her character like people saying she's a witch and she killed Vince Foster, etc. Because she's sick of such things herself.

Because no matter what she does the press will always treat her every move as a political calculation and will never admit that she has genuine opinions and hopes for this country, like a normal human being.

Because she's actually an incredibly smart woman who understands that just because she seems inevitable today, that doesn't mean anything come a year and a half from now.

Because she's been demonized, vilified, slandered, misunderstood, humiliated, cheated on, condescended to, and erased, and she just doesn't give that much of a crap anymore.

Because she doesn't owe anybody anything, including her "supporters" and hacks and other people in the Democratic party who want her to run for their own selfish interests.

Because she too shares the desire for a new generation to step up.

Any of those reasons might be a reason.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies