I don't think the red is used correctly here. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:26:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  I don't think the red is used correctly here. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I don't think the red is used correctly here.  (Read 533 times)
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« on: January 21, 2015, 07:02:14 AM »

It is used correctly. The first sentence makes it seem as if only Japanese actions led to the landing on the coast of Thailand. The "though" goes along with the second sentence and the clarification that they did have assistance. Depending on the language structure of your native tongue, this may be seen as redundant/unnecessary.

Another example could be:

"I drove to the home improvement store, bought 50 pieces of lumber and drove home." (implies only I was involved)".

"I drove to the home improvement store, bought 50 pieces of lumber and drove home. I had some assistance, though: my friend lent me his truck to carry the lumber." (I had assistance)

Even though (no pun intended) my examples use a similar example (one of assistance), this can imply in many other situations. Essentially, "though" is used as a way to clarify a previous statement with something that may be the opposite or change the perspective, and can be used much like "despite the fact that".
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies