Atlas Ministry of Purity Crimes Self-Reporting Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 05:54:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Atlas Ministry of Purity Crimes Self-Reporting Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9
Author Topic: Atlas Ministry of Purity Crimes Self-Reporting Thread  (Read 17735 times)
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: January 23, 2015, 08:00:46 AM »

What's embarrassing about this thread is that it displays severe ignorance. All of the "jokes" in it are only funny if one is some combination of dumb and sexist. I.e. one thinks, for example, that objecting to sexual harassment means thinking "men can't talk to women". And so on.

A priest and a rabbi would  have no problem walking into a bar together! This is an outrage. Distortion of facts will not be forgotten by The Regime.

Eh...I think you sort of missed my point. It wasn't that jokes need to conform to reality. Or even be inoffensive - I love jokes that a lot of people find offensive. But if your joke about how anti-racist people are really dumb because political correctness has gone mad!1 is only funny to someone who is a bigoted racist then you're probably better off not telling the joke. And the same goes for sexism. It's not a terribly complex issue.

The idea that someone has to be a sexist to find satire about anti-sexism amusing is itself a worthy subject of satire.

Do you guys do anything other than mischaracterize other peoples' posts? What you just said is not what I said. I explicitly said something different and if you re-read the post (or just use common sense) maybe you'd get it. I joke about sexism all the time. In fact, one of my jokes on sexism was posted in this very thread. Amusingly, it seems that none of the misogynists understood it. Which isn't entirely surprising of course. It's sort of like when conservatives think the Onion is real.

Shua is deliberately contrary Smiley

And he is very good at it.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #76 on: January 23, 2015, 08:21:16 AM »

The whole thread is about satirizing the random insults Gustaf and his followers love to spread on the decent people.

I thought the thread was about Simfan's existential crisis.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #77 on: January 23, 2015, 10:41:49 AM »

...Christ.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #78 on: January 23, 2015, 11:04:47 AM »

Damn, Simi.........throwing water on a fire isn't what we needed here.

For today - We are ordering Chinese food for lunch today.  We will be oppressing a minority group in an act of pure racism to feed our hungry white bellies.  Of course, the Chinese further oppress as there's a WOMAN cooking.....

Between our racist and misogynistic acts, we expect to be banned long before the weekend lets out.  Cry
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #79 on: January 23, 2015, 12:03:31 PM »

lol being sexist is so funny lol!!!
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #80 on: January 23, 2015, 12:07:53 PM »

You know what guys? How about we float a pilot later this evening and see how it goes?
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #81 on: January 23, 2015, 12:20:26 PM »

I thought Mattress Girl, from Columbia, was serving that purpose for you fairly effectively.  I wonder what ever happened to her.  Do you think she still lugs the bed around everywhere?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #82 on: January 23, 2015, 12:30:18 PM »

YES! Cheesy
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #83 on: January 23, 2015, 12:56:00 PM »

lol demonising introvert young people is so funny lol!!!

introverted =/= being a dick
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #84 on: January 23, 2015, 01:18:29 PM »

Oh cool, we're at the stage of a Gustaf argument where he starts attacking people who disagree with him for not understanding the understated genius of his posts.

Also I look forward to reading Simfan's latest treatise later today when I get a chance.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #85 on: January 23, 2015, 02:11:18 PM »
« Edited: January 23, 2015, 02:17:18 PM by traininthedistance »

Been staying out of this (only so many times you can call liars out on their lies), but I finally have to say something:

lol demonising introvert young people is so funny lol!!!

Speaking in my official capacity as someone who is painfully introverted in real life (seriously you have no idea), but still manages to somehow avoid these sorts of bitter delusions: you're full of sh*t.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #86 on: January 23, 2015, 02:27:38 PM »

Simfan, all sexuality is not intrinsically disordered, not is having disordered inclinations necessarily sinful. Sin requires knowledge and consent; a fleeting sexual thought you didn't intentionally seek out is not consent. As for the former question, Simfan, we're Catholics not Shakers. While there may be some Catholic thinkers who hypothesize that if man had never fallen he would also never feel sexual inclination, they're first of all far from ubiquitous, and second, are engaging in a pointless hypothetical. We might as well hypothesize about what would have happened if we were instead created on Mars. If man never fell, we wouldn't have had the incarnation either, and the Church goes so far in the Easter Proclamation to declare "O happy fault that earned for us so great, so glorious a Redeemer." In any case, in Genesis the command to be fruitful and multiply comes before the fall. Indeed, it comes right after the statement that man is made in the image and likeness of God.

When you're walking down the street and see an attractive girl, you aren't sinning just to notice her. I mean, if you start imagining her naked or committing a sex act with her, and consent to that thought, then yes that would be sinful. But just noticing her, or, heck, imaging going on a date with her is not. There is also some degree to which over-scrupulousness will make it harder not to sin. If you start seeing sexual intentions everywhere, you'll start having them everywhere. We get so hung up about sex being sinful without the proper telos (and given our society, for good reason), but don't forget there is a proper telos!
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #87 on: January 23, 2015, 07:47:36 PM »

What's embarrassing about this thread is that it displays severe ignorance. All of the "jokes" in it are only funny if one is some combination of dumb and sexist. I.e. one thinks, for example, that objecting to sexual harassment means thinking "men can't talk to women". And so on.

A priest and a rabbi would  have no problem walking into a bar together! This is an outrage. Distortion of facts will not be forgotten by The Regime.

Eh...I think you sort of missed my point. It wasn't that jokes need to conform to reality. Or even be inoffensive - I love jokes that a lot of people find offensive. But if your joke about how anti-racist people are really dumb because political correctness has gone mad!1 is only funny to someone who is a bigoted racist then you're probably better off not telling the joke. And the same goes for sexism. It's not a terribly complex issue.

The idea that someone has to be a sexist to find satire about anti-sexism amusing is itself a worthy subject of satire.

Do you guys do anything other than mischaracterize other peoples' posts? What you just said is not what I said. I explicitly said something different and if you re-read the post (or just use common sense) maybe you'd get it. I joke about sexism all the time. In fact, one of my jokes on sexism was posted in this very thread. Amusingly, it seems that none of the misogynists understood it. Which isn't entirely surprising of course. It's sort of like when conservatives think the Onion is real.

So your jokes on anit-sexist extremists are funny to people who aren't sexist but other people's aren't?  Ok. I don't get it why, but at least I can respect that it is out of egoism rather than ideology.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #88 on: January 23, 2015, 10:38:12 PM »

What's going on? Hello? Is verybody oky?

Just wondering.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #89 on: January 24, 2015, 12:01:39 AM »

As he's somebody involved in academia in the Northeast roughly my own age, and apparently with interests in roughly similar subjects, I already find Simfan's Update much easier to relate to than Bushie's, and would love to see it continue.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #90 on: January 24, 2015, 06:14:58 AM »

Did you already take the GRE Simfan? How much did you get?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #91 on: January 24, 2015, 08:35:13 AM »

Oh cool, we're at the stage of a Gustaf argument where he starts attacking people who disagree with him for not understanding the understated genius of his posts.

Also I look forward to reading Simfan's latest treatise later today when I get a chance.

I'd rather say we're at the stage where you can't back up your lies and thus resort to some weird attack on me as a person. Tongue

If you think you can actually make sense of what you posted, be my guest. I genuinely have no idea what you thought you were saying with that quote.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #92 on: January 24, 2015, 08:43:06 AM »

So your jokes on anit-sexist extremists are funny to people who aren't sexist but other people's aren't?  Ok. I don't get it why, but at least I can respect that it is out of egoism rather than ideology.

Jesus, this isn't THAT complicated. When Memphis says that catcalling women is a normal form of interaction and women should have to take it I call him sexist. If he then makes a joke about how the CRAZY feminazis don't allow people to say hi to a woman anymore, that is only a funny joke to someone who believes that catcalling women is ok. A normal person like me would realize that catcalling a woman isn't the same as talking to them normally. The notion of these anti-sex extremists is obviously false to anyone who isn't a sexist. Just because I oppose rape, pedophilia and sexual harassment I'm not some anti-sex prudish buzzkill. The idea that those things are linked is sexist and offensive.

I was making fun of sexists in my post. In the same way that making fun of anti-racists is only funny to racist people making fun of sexists may not be funny to sexists. It may not be funny anyway if the joke is poor, of course. But the treatment of it suggests that people didn't even get the point, which I suspect is due to their own sexism.

Anyway, I love insane and offensive humour and I've made jokes on all kinds of taboo subjects. But all of these jokes comes from a perspective of fundamentally being a good person. If I joke about racism the point of the joke will fundamentally be that we laugh at racists because they're dumb. A joke that is about laughing at black people because they're dumb is a different thing. I feel a bit silly explaining this difference but I guess it was required.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #93 on: January 24, 2015, 09:38:23 AM »

So then Gustaf, how did I mischaracterize what you said?  You believe that satirizing anti-racists is only funny to racists, and that satirizing anti-sexists is only funny to sexists, correct?  That's frankly absurd. Just because people oppose an awful ideology doesn't mean they are without fault in they way they respond to it.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #94 on: January 24, 2015, 09:58:21 AM »

So then Gustaf, how did I mischaracterize what you said?  You believe that satirizing anti-racists is only funny to racists, and that satirizing anti-sexists is only funny to sexists, correct?  That's frankly absurd. Just because people oppose an awful ideology doesn't mean they are without fault in they way they respond to it.

No I'm not saying that. I'm saying that in this case making fun of this anti-sexism is sexist. I'm not saying it holds true in every instance. I joke about checking my privilege all the time for instance. But those jokes are made in a way where I do realize that I have privilege.

See, the joke in this thread is that crazy anti-sexists think everything is sexist. Saying hi to a woman is sexist. Today I said hi to a woman, look at me, I'm a sexist. Haha.

The problem with that is that no one has ever actually said anything close to that. The people making these jokes were called out for actual sexism. Things like defending rape. Things like defending catcalling. They're trying to blur the lines between perfectly acceptable things (like saying hi to a woman in a normal fashion) and really bad things like sexual harassment. This is, frankly, pretty vile because it's an attempt to normalize violations of people. This is a very real problem because things like rape or sexual harassment happen more because people view it as normal or as part of normal interaction between the sexes.

These jokes fall into a category of jokes that aren't really jokes (as evidenced by how extremely painful most of them are). They're about making an ideological point and asserting a power structure. It's similar to jokes about racial minorities, for example, which are more about asserting dominance than about trying to be funny (at least in many cases).

TL;DR version: these jokes are only funny to people who think that criticizing catcalling is basically the same thing as saying a friendly hello. I can think of other jokes about causes I support that wouldn't be premised on a bad ideology and in fact I make such jokes all the time. But if a joke only makes sense to a sexist you're probably better off not making it.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #95 on: January 24, 2015, 10:15:02 AM »

Well, now we're just going in circles.
better leave this thread to Simfan.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #96 on: January 24, 2015, 10:19:33 AM »

No, not yet. I was talking about my plans to take it and preparing.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #97 on: January 24, 2015, 10:27:44 AM »

Well good luck on that! I fear that when I'll know your results it will be another punch in the guts for my ego. I know Foucaulf got an insanely good one (something like 168/170) which made me feel like sh*t, I've no doubt you can do as well. Wink
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #98 on: January 24, 2015, 10:34:01 AM »

Well good luck on that! I fear that when I'll know your results it will be another punch in the guts for my ego. I know Foucaulf got an insanely good one (something like 168/170) which made me feel like sh*t, I've no doubt you can do as well. Wink

Well I've taken tips from him so let's hope so. If I can replicate my SAT results everything should be fine.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #99 on: January 24, 2015, 11:35:29 AM »

The GRE is sexist

http://www.genderacrossborders.com/2009/11/13/racism-and-sexism-in-standardized-testing/
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies