Blue states with glass ceilings (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:08:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Blue states with glass ceilings (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Blue states with glass ceilings  (Read 3586 times)
The Arizonan
United States

« on: January 21, 2015, 09:21:44 PM »

I've noticed how blue states like California and New York have elected female senators, but not female governors which is weird. Is it psychologically easier to send a woman to Washington than to the governor's mansion?
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 10:04:33 PM »

I didn't mean every single blue state, but the ones my question applies to.

I haven't seen anyone from Arizona on the forum. This is a first

Really? What about Carl Hayden?
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 10:22:53 PM »

I've noticed how blue states like California and New York have elected female senators, but not female governors which is weird. Is it psychologically easier to send a woman to Washington than to the governor's mansion?

Washington had Patty Murray, Maria Cantwell, and Christine Gregoire.

New Hampshire has Shaheen, Ayotte, and Hassan.

North Carolina had Kay Hagan/Liddy Dole and Bev Purdue.

Technically if we're talking "blue," Louisiana had Kathleen Blanco, Mary Landrieu, and John Breaux, all Democrats.

Rhode Island just elected a female governor as well, yet has never sent a woman to the Senate I believe.

So it's definitely a thing having female Dem Senators and Governors.

I didn't mean all of the blue states and I forgot to check my post before posting.

Louisiana is a red state, for all intents and purposes. It was a blue state not too long ago.

As for Rhode Island, they recently elected Gina Raimondo. They've never sent a woman to the Senate even though Nancy Meyer and Claudine Schneider made serious runs for the office.
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 11:19:23 PM »

How many women run for governor, though? As far as I know, the only serious candidate for governor of California got the Democratic nomination in 1994, and so the fact that Jerry Brown's sister didn't become governor probably had more to do with it being the wrong year than anything else. The incumbent Republican Wilson was easily re-elected in a Republican year. The last time a Republican incumbent governor lost was 1938.

More women run for governor than you may think. For every one that gets elected, there are a handful that didn't.
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 06:26:53 PM »

I remember how Pennsylvania had two congresswomen not too long ago. Kathy Dahlkemper lost reelection and Allyson Schwartz ran for governor and lost the primary last year. I actually thought that she had a chance of making it into the governor's mansion.

Mississippi is the greatest offender when it comes to having a glass ceiling. They've never even elected a congresswoman.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies