Republican House continues to have excellent priorities
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:33:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Republican House continues to have excellent priorities
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Republican House continues to have excellent priorities  (Read 1141 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 22, 2015, 02:41:01 PM »
« edited: January 22, 2015, 03:54:37 PM by True Federalist »

so brave.

(Adding a link that isn't behind a paywall. - TF)

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2015/01/21/378966874/gop-led-house-drops-20-week-abortion-limit-will-advance-funding-ban
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 03:07:20 PM »

An excellent bill. Taxpayer money shouldn't be used to kill innocent lives.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 03:16:47 PM »

I don't believe in my money being used to kill innocent lives in Afghanistan, Iraq and Syria. When to I get an exemption so I don't have to pay taxes to fund the Defense Department?

Also its good to see that Republicans are finally in favor of a tax hike. Luckily we have President Obama, so he'll be able to veto it.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 09:52:20 PM »

Meh ... which bill makes it first is a lazy way to evaluate the priorities of a Congress. For example Lets look at the first 25 laws of the 110th Congress when the Democrats took both houses of Congress in 2006.  

The first law to pass was a bill naming a recreation in a National Park; 12 of the first 25 laws of that session were bills naming post offices and the like.

There was also:
1 earmark
1 amendment to an advisory committees membership
5 reauthorizations of obscure laws (commemorative coin surcharges, SBA data-gathering, Judicial financial disclosure, and 2 advisory committees. Yawn).
3 welfare related bureaucratic changes dealing with cancer screening grants
A ban on the interstate cockfighting weapons industry
Foreign aide to Eastern Europe
Continuing budget resolution

Guess that means the Democrats' priorities in 2006 were about cockfighting weapons.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 10:29:12 PM »
« Edited: January 22, 2015, 10:33:42 PM by shua »

I don't believe in my money being used to kill innocent lives in Afghanistan, Iraq and Syria. When to I get an exemption so I don't have to pay taxes to fund the Defense Department?

Yeah, you're right. If we stop using taxpayer funds to kill some innocent life, people are going to argue for not killing innocent life at all. What then, are we going to stop killing criminals too?

But truthfully the GOP Congress are being idiotic cowards on this.  If they can't stand up against late-term abortions, what are they doing calling themselves pro-life?
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 10:45:00 PM »

I agree with the second part, but restricting abortions for women who are raped past 20 weeks who didn't make a police report? There are definitely things to fix. There are reasons why the GOP killed it and that's because the rhetoric resulting from this can kill them.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 10:55:01 PM »

Ever heard of the Hyde Amendment?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 11:39:54 PM »

I agree with the second part, but restricting abortions for women who are raped past 20 weeks who didn't make a police report? There are definitely things to fix. There are reasons why the GOP killed it and that's because the rhetoric resulting from this can kill them.

I can understand and appreciate the reasons for a rape exception for early term abortions. I can understand and appreciate the reasons for health exceptions, both for the mother and for terminal/painful illnesses for the baby, for late term abortions. I don't even know if this bill had that. But I can't understand a rape exception for a late term abortion. And even allowing that, how can something be worth snuffing out a growing life over but not worth reporting to the police? 
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2015, 01:18:25 AM »

Also its good to see that Republicans are finally in favor of a tax hike. Luckily we have President Obama, so he'll be able to veto it.

The "fiscal conservatives" never have a problem with pissing away trillions in pointless wars.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2015, 03:15:04 AM »

I can understand and appreciate the reasons for a rape exception for early term abortions. I can understand and appreciate the reasons for health exceptions, both for the mother and for terminal/painful illnesses for the baby, for late term abortions. I don't even know if this bill had that. But I can't understand a rape exception for a late term abortion. And even allowing that, how can something be worth snuffing out a growing life over but not worth reporting to the police? 

My response to this would get me banned...
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2015, 09:12:39 AM »

Did Akin sneak back in or something?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to: