Finnish parliamentary election – April 19th 2015
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:48:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Finnish parliamentary election – April 19th 2015
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9
Author Topic: Finnish parliamentary election – April 19th 2015  (Read 33998 times)
ag
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: April 20, 2015, 08:43:17 AM »

Well, what I meant was that they don't seem very religious. Both are liberal on social issues and the woman doesn't wear a headscarf, for example.
Islam is a religion, not a political movement.

Islam does not have a separation between the secular world and the spiritual world as christianity does (Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and unto God the things that are God's). Mentioning that the people in question do not adhere to the political side of Islam is a relevant fact in a political discussion. In Sweden we've had islamist MPs like Mehmet Kaplan (now minister of housing) and Abdizirak Waberi with close contacts to the Muslim brotherhood.

Even if I were to accept your (patently wrong) distinction with Christianity, you would ne hard-pressed to find one with Judaism. Be my guest, please, continue.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #176 on: April 20, 2015, 08:45:42 AM »

We should just drop the moderate and/or secular vs. fundi and/or Islamist thing and start talking about domesticated versus wild Muslims. Might as well drop that PC nonsense. Wink

Sure. I will, from now on, talk about cannibal whites, vs. non-cannibals. Which one are you, btw? Have you stopped eating brown babies for Christmas?
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #177 on: April 20, 2015, 08:53:14 AM »

Well, what I meant was that they don't seem very religious. Both are liberal on social issues and the woman doesn't wear a headscarf, for example.

Islam does not have a separation between the secular world and the spiritual world as christianity does (Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and unto God the things that are God's). Mentioning that the people in question do not adhere to the political side of Islam is a relevant fact in a political discussion. In Sweden we've had islamist MPs like Mehmet Kaplan (now minister of housing) and Abdizirak Waberi with close contacts to the Muslim brotherhood.

Even if I were to accept your (patently wrong) distinction with Christianity, you would ne hard-pressed to find one with Judaism. Be my guest, please, continue.

Why is he wrong?

I would suggest on behalf of everybody here that you restrict yourself to Mexican affairs as European politics is clearly agitating you.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #178 on: April 20, 2015, 08:55:19 AM »

Islam does not have a separation between the secular world and the spiritual world as Christianity does (Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and unto God the things that are God's). Mentioning that the people in question do not adhere to the political side of Islam is a relevant fact in a political discussion. In Sweden we've had islamist MPs like Mehmet Kaplan (now minister of housing) and Abdizirak Waberi with close contacts to the Muslim brotherhood.

Even if I were to accept your (patently wrong) distinction with Christianity, you would be hard-pressed to find one with Judaism. Be my guest, please, continue.

How? It is in the Bible and while churches haven't always been willing to obey by this it certainly gives a very different theological basis for how Christians view their relationship to the state and has formed the basis for Western secularism. Islam provides much more detailed instructions for how to create a society and how to live your life than Christianity, which only gives us vague guiding points.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #179 on: April 20, 2015, 09:17:49 AM »

I would suggest on behalf of everybody here that you restrict yourself to Mexican affairs as European politics is clearly agitating you.

Has there been a vote? Or is it you Christianity, or another sort of proper Gottglaubigkeit, that entitles you to speak "on behalf of everybody"?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #180 on: April 20, 2015, 09:25:10 AM »

It's amusing that Hifly would say something like that, seeing as he is one of the forum's most despised and ridiculed posters.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #181 on: April 20, 2015, 09:28:59 AM »

It's amusing that Hifly would say something like that, seeing as he is one of the forum's most despised and ridiculed posters.

Well, a white man ordering a brownie around. Everything is normal.

My German last name, of course, is the testimony of the times before his ancestors ordered my ancestors into what would become Russia. I guess, mine were insufficiently domesticated.

Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #182 on: April 20, 2015, 09:34:27 AM »

I thought you had me on ignore? If not, please do so immediately.

Ag I'm intruiged to hear about your take on the point issued re Islam and social secularism, but you haven't addressed it.

In addition, I'm also of Iranian descent, so your reference to colour is interesting. But I guess you had to bring race into it seeing as you couldn't address my question.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #183 on: April 20, 2015, 09:36:00 AM »

My German last name, of course, is the testimony of the times before his ancestors ordered my ancestors into what would become Russia. I guess, mine were insufficiently domesticated.

Hifly is (partly?) Iranian. You are in all likelyhood the Whitie here.
Zanas
Zanas46
France

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #184 on: April 20, 2015, 10:05:59 AM »

Well that's been derailing ATLAS level !
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #185 on: April 20, 2015, 11:46:24 AM »
« Edited: April 20, 2015, 11:48:04 AM by ag »

Hifly is (partly?) Iranian. You are in all likelyhood the Whitie here.

And I am (partly) Swiss (actually, that is true). As I said multiple times: color - is a state of the mind.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #186 on: April 20, 2015, 11:48:53 AM »

Well that's been derailing ATLAS level !

Sorry.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #187 on: April 20, 2015, 11:51:55 AM »

Islam and social secularism,

I am more interested in Christianity and the same.
FredLindq
« Reply #188 on: April 20, 2015, 11:54:45 AM »

Please!!

I am Reading this thread to get info about Finnish politks not religion.

Order!!! :-)

So what do you think. My guess is still Centre, NCP, Finns and christiandemocrats.

SFP will be outside, I thinkt that they will not cooperate with the "Finns".
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #189 on: April 20, 2015, 12:09:01 PM »

Please!!

I am Reading this thread to get info about Finnish politks not religion.

Order!!! :-)

So what do you think. My guess is still Centre, NCP, Finns and christiandemocrats.

SFP will be outside, I thinkt that they will not cooperate with the "Finns".

Same here.  On this topic.  It seems Sipila does not rule out Finns party being part of the ruling bloc insisting that it will not hurt Finland's reputation.    Meanwhile Soini said that Finns Party is ready to take part in government formation talks.   And Stubb seems to want to carry on as NCP leader and seems ready to be Sipila's cabinet.    Also it seems NCP-Social Democrat relations are broken anyway so it does not seem to be any altnerative to Centre-Finns-NCP. 

But whatever the coalition make up it will be a uphill climb to restore competitiveness and
growth and halt the rise in public debt.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #190 on: April 20, 2015, 12:21:29 PM »

I do wonder if I would be a "moderate" Muslim.
Lurker
Norway
« Reply #191 on: April 20, 2015, 12:25:35 PM »

People seem to be awfully upset over semantics here. Even if the term might be a bit unfortunate, the meaning is entirely clear.

Btw, I have never seen simillar reactions to anyone being described as, say, a liberal or conservative Christian, even if those are vague terms as well.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #192 on: April 20, 2015, 12:28:50 PM »
« Edited: April 20, 2015, 12:41:36 PM by TimTurner »

Well I would say that actually many Muslims view the term as offensive - because it might suggest they are less devoted and religious.  Also I think Muslims view the religion as intrinsically moderate as well.
Oh sorry I didn't see jaichind's post.
Helsinkian
Finland

« Reply #193 on: April 20, 2015, 01:31:16 PM »
« Edited: April 20, 2015, 01:49:38 PM by Helsinkian »

Not to fan the flames of the religion discussion... But I would like to point out that the Finnish media has written extensively on the religiousity of two politicians: Juha Sipilδ of the Centre Party and Timo Soini of the Finns Party. To top it all we got this weird comment from Timo Airaksinen, professor of philosophy, interviewed by YLE on the election result:

"We will soon have a multicultural society, and yet our future Finance Minister is a devout Catholic [Soini] and our future Prime Minister is a Laestadian [Sipilδ]. And they are from regions where religion still means something. That does somewhat frighten an old atheist like myself." (translated)
http://yle.fi/uutiset/filosofi_timo_airaksinen_vaalivoittajien_uskonnollisuutta_ei_ole_nostettu_esiin/7941844

So the philosopher is implying that Catholicism or Laestadianism (both are small religious groups in Finland) don't have a place in a multicultural society, which strikes me as a strange definition of the term "multicultural"... It's even stranger when you consider the fact that a big portion of Finland's Catholics are immigrants.

Note: even though Airaksinen thinks Soini to be the future Finance Minister, that's not self-evident. He might prefer another portfolio.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #194 on: April 20, 2015, 02:53:34 PM »

Let's all take a nice breather folks, and enjoy the fresh air outside. This discussion has derailed and risks becoming way too heated for it to be appropriate on here. Thanks.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #195 on: April 20, 2015, 05:29:24 PM »

I thought you had me on ignore? If not, please do so immediately.

Ag I'm intruiged to hear about your take on the point issued re Islam and social secularism, but you haven't addressed it.

In addition, I'm also of Iranian descent, so your reference to colour is interesting. But I guess you had to bring race into it seeing as you couldn't address my question.

I hardly ever put anyone on ignore. I can handle reading stupid and offensive posts.

Beyond that I'll just add that laestadians kind of don't have a place in a civilized society. Tongue
Helsinkian
Finland

« Reply #196 on: April 20, 2015, 06:10:07 PM »
« Edited: April 20, 2015, 06:12:06 PM by Helsinkian »

Largest party in each municipality:

Green = Centre Party
Black = Finns Party
Blue = National Coalition Party
Orange = Social Democratic Party
Pink = Left Alliance
Yellow = Swedish People's Party
Purple = Christian Democrats
Grey = Others (Εland)

TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #197 on: April 21, 2015, 06:44:01 AM »

Hmm...interesting.  You see that ring of blue around a dot of yellow - I'm assuming that that's Helsinki proper surrounded by rich suburbs that would naturally vote for the center-right.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #198 on: April 21, 2015, 06:51:36 AM »

Hmm...interesting.  You see that ring of blue around a dot of yellow - I'm assuming that that's Helsinki proper surrounded by rich suburbs that would naturally vote for the center-right.

Yellow is the Swedish Peoples Party.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #199 on: April 21, 2015, 07:04:16 AM »

Yellow is the Swedish Peoples Party.
The People's Party is centrist.  Does it lean towards the right or the left?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies