An Open Seat in Vermont... Could be a tough race. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:50:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2006 Elections
  An Open Seat in Vermont... Could be a tough race. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: An Open Seat in Vermont... Could be a tough race.  (Read 13554 times)
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« on: April 22, 2005, 02:03:26 PM »

It's true that Sanders won't have the organization strength of the DNC behind him like an actual Democrat would.  But this isn't going to matter.  It probably hurt him when he was first running for Congress, but at this point, already having run statewide eight times in a tiny state, Sanders has all the organization he needs.  Every voter in Vermont knows Bernie and probably knows whether or not they will vote for him.  Next to him, Douglas is an unknown lightweight.

Sanders is not universally liked, and Douglas would give him a close race.  But this race will be about Sanders, and it is his to lose.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2005, 08:15:48 PM »

One question for anybody more familiar with Vermont.  Do the Democrats have anybody on the ballot against Sanders?  I know they don't fund anybody which is everything, but I was just curious if some no-name Democrat ends up on the ballot against him.

Sometimes there is a Democrat running on the ballot against Sanders, sometimes there is not.  Someone ran in 2004 and got 7% of the vote against him, but no one ran in 2002 AFAIK.  I would guess that the Democrats would strongly urge no one to run if its Sanders v. Douglas for Senate.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2005, 11:27:17 PM »

I can't imagine why any serious Democrat would run in this race.   They would be a national embarrasment...when was the last time a major party nominee got single digit support in  a Senate race?....at least Jack E. Robinson got 13%.

That said, I'm almost certain Sanders would never run as a Democrat.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies