Why all the Castro hype?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:09:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Why all the Castro hype?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why all the Castro hype?  (Read 3996 times)
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 23, 2015, 06:06:35 AM »

Why, not just here but everywhere, are the Castros being made out to be thesr invincible commodities that will single handedly turn Texas blue (red)? They're Latinos, big whoop. Did Mel Martinez make Florida suddenly solid red?
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 06:50:33 AM »

They're Hispanic and dems love playing identity politics.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 08:23:48 AM »

In the event that Movement Conservatism collapses in Texas, they are the ones who can most quickly fill a political vacuum.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 11:03:14 AM »

Let's be honest.  Both parties do
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 02:00:50 PM »

Let's be honest.  Both parties do
Yep. There are still plenty of republicans claiming that Rubio/Cruz being hispanic nominees means more hispanic votes, and that Carson/Cain being black nominees means more black votes.
stegosaurus
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 1.83

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2015, 02:23:27 PM »

Relative to the rest of the TXDP bench, they are probably underrated.

Wendy Davis, anyone?
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2015, 02:24:36 PM »

I agree, I can't imagine Fidel or Raul winning Texas under any circumstances
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -10.00

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2015, 02:57:57 PM »

I agree, I can't imagine Fidel or Raul winning Texas under any circumstances
Though imagine if they did.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2015, 03:43:33 PM »

They clearly would play well in CO, NV, and FL, not TX, and there are latinos in ILLINOIS, too that will make it even more playable, the senate race, should we target Latinos.

It clearly is a risky choice, but with Jeb on the ticket, and his brother got 44% of the HISPANIC, vote, it clearly would be a risk worth taking.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2015, 06:18:26 PM »

They clearly would play well in CO, NV, and FL, not TX, and there are latinos in ILLINOIS, too that will make it even more playable, the senate race, should we target Latinos.

It clearly is a risky choice, but with Jeb on the ticket, and his brother got 44% of the HISPANIC, vote, it clearly would be a risk worth taking.
the LATINOS in ILLINOIS ALREADY VOTE DEMOCRAT YOU MORON!

YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT POLITICS.

You don't need to scream at people.

And yes, the Castros are overrated.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2015, 06:44:41 PM »

the LATINOS in ILLINOIS ALREADY VOTE DEMOCRAT YOU MORON!

YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT POLITICS.

You don't need to scream at people.

And yes, the Castros are overrated.
Rauner picked up some crossover support in the GOV races, he has a Latina female as his LT GOV, who spoke fluent Spanish.
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2015, 07:03:38 PM »

Of course the Castros are overrated. They are untested on a national level.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2015, 07:17:37 PM »

If she wasn't polling badly in CO, Castro might be an interesting pick, but she is doing mediocre in CO, and I think it is more likely Hickenlooper or Sherrod Brown or Tim Kaine would be a safer choice.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2015, 08:30:43 PM »

As I've said in every thread in which this has come up: can anyone name one (1) accomplishment Julian Castro had as Mayor of San Antonio?

I've posted this in like 5 threads and no one has even attempted to answer.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2015, 08:40:27 PM »

As I've said in every thread in which this has come up: can anyone name one (1) accomplishment Julian Castro had as Mayor of San Antonio?

I've posted this in like 5 threads and no one has even attempted to answer.

He got universal pre-K passed and funded with a minimal tax raise.

That was to answer your question. I don't personally think the Castros are that exciting, the keynote at the '12 DNC was decent but not amazing by any stretch. They are most certainly overhyped (we don't know if they're overrated yet, since, well, they haven't shown us much yet).
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2015, 08:41:13 PM »

If you get elected to significant political office, gain a minor amount of fame, graduate Harvard Law and become a cabinet secretary by age 40, you're going to get a political buzz for about higher offices.  If you have a unique story or identity, that's another layer.  

Does all this hype actually matter?  Probably not, but who knows.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2015, 10:09:44 PM »

If you get elected to significant political office, gain a minor amount of fame, graduate Harvard Law and become a cabinet secretary by age 40, you're going to get a political buzz for about higher offices.  If you have a unique story or identity, that's another layer.  

Do you really think that Castro would be the HUD Secretary today if he was the white mayor of San Antonio? I know that sounds bad but it is absolutely true and there are definite electoral prospects in prominent latino politicians in a state that is (possibly) turning blue.

The only reason the brothers are hyped is because of their skin color and the state that they come from. Personally, I don't find them inspiring.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2015, 10:32:48 PM »

Do you really think that Castro would be the HUD Secretary today if he was the white mayor of San Antonio? I know that sounds bad but it is absolutely true and there are definite electoral prospects in prominent latino politicians in a state that is (possibly) turning blue.

The only reason the brothers are hyped is because of their skin color and the state that they come from. Personally, I don't find them inspiring.

I'm sure race plays a role for some people.  But, you're being fairly dismissive.  Is there any white big city mayor who has the same type of resume as Julian Castro?  I can't think of anyone 

And, it's not like HUD Secretary is Attorney General or Secretary of Defense. Andrew Cuomo was appointed HUD Secretary and he didn't have nearly the qualifications of Julian Castro.  It's not like the previous HUD Secretaries have been grizzled Washington Insiders who make Julian Castro seem like a lightweight.  Julian Castro makes Andrew Cuomo circa 1997 seem like a lightweight. 
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2015, 10:38:22 PM »
« Edited: January 23, 2015, 10:52:40 PM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

The Castro brothers aren't hyped because they're Mexican-American. There are many Mexican-American politicians in the US. They're hyped because they come from an impoverished community and have attained elite pedigrees by attending elite universities. Julian and Joaquin have the additional advantage of being young and fairly charismatic.

The Castros are hyped because they're ideal politicians. The Democratic Party wants to advance them because they have tremendous potential. I think it's shameful that party elites tend to privilege "good" Black or Latino politicians, who successfully rose through the ranks in the meritocracy by getting into an Ivy, and tend to avoid Black or Latino politicians who maintain close connections to their community, "act" Black or Latino etc. Nevertheless, it's a fact that the most successful Black/Latino politicians are situated in the Ivory Tower. It shouldn't surprise anyone that they're hyped.

Mexican-American politicians who should receive more hype than the Castros from an electoral standpoint:
Raul Ruiz
Hilda Solis

On another note, the casual dismissal of the Castros by posters on this site is rather telling. It's an implicit admonishment of racial minorities for supporting politicians who share their experience. I think they're over-hyped but it's a good thing that the Democratic Party tries to appeal to ethnic minorities by promoting "star" candidates. Is it self-interested? Sure but this is how democracy is supposed to work. One of the virtues of our political system is its inclusivity. Nothing embodies "e pluribus unum" more than crass ethnic politics. We may speak different tongues, eat different foods but come November, we all practice the sacred rites of the American civic religion. It's beautiful.

In practice, an ethnic or racial criterion in voting preferences yields results. Latino politicians tend to prioritize immigration, advocate for small reforms to streamline the process and advance a more radical philosophy. White progressive politicians might support the liberalization of immigration restrictions but they're certainly not champions of immigration reform. This is merely one example, there are countless others. In short: I think the Castros are overrated but I think they're overrated for all of the right reasons.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2015, 11:16:13 PM »

The Castro brothers aren't hyped because they're Mexican-American. There are many Mexican-American politicians in the US. They're hyped because they come from an impoverished community and have attained elite pedigrees by attending elite universities. Julian and Joaquin have the additional advantage of being young and fairly charismatic.

The Castros are hyped because they're ideal politicians. The Democratic Party wants to advance them because they have tremendous potential. I think it's shameful that party elites tend to privilege "good" Black or Latino politicians, who successfully rose through the ranks in the meritocracy by getting into an Ivy, and tend to avoid Black or Latino politicians who maintain close connections to their community, "act" Black or Latino etc. Nevertheless, it's a fact that the most successful Black/Latino politicians are situated in the Ivory Tower. It shouldn't surprise anyone that they're hyped.

Mexican-American politicians who should receive more hype than the Castros from an electoral standpoint:
Raul Ruiz
Hilda Solis

On another note, the casual dismissal of the Castros by posters on this site is rather telling. It's an implicit admonishment of racial minorities for supporting politicians who share their experience. I think they're over-hyped but it's a good thing that the Democratic Party tries to appeal to ethnic minorities by promoting "star" candidates. Is it self-interested? Sure but this is how democracy is supposed to work. One of the virtues of our political system is its inclusivity. Nothing embodies "e pluribus unum" more than crass ethnic politics. We may speak different tongues, eat different foods but come November, we all practice the sacred rites of the American civic religion. It's beautiful.

In practice, an ethnic or racial criterion in voting preferences yields results. Latino politicians tend to prioritize immigration, advocate for small reforms to streamline the process and advance a more radical philosophy. White progressive politicians might support the liberalization of immigration restrictions but they're certainly not champions of immigration reform. This is merely one example, there are countless others. In short: I think the Castros are overrated but I think they're overrated for all of the right reasons.

I think we basically agree, but here's another important point.

We don't need to judge these people as potential Presidential hopefuls today.  Nobody is forcing anyone to have an opinion on the Castro Bros.  Just wait until there's a reason to care on way or the other or anything to go on as evidence.  Julian Castro is somewhere in the odd career path of a Presidential candidate, sure. But, he's not at the point where he can be prove that he has the goods.  We have no possible way of knowing whether he'll be a good Presidential candidate in 2020 or whatever.  So, the hype can't be substantiated or refuted. 

And, that's the fundamental stupidity of this premature speculation.  It's wildly accurate and completely unsubstantiated.  So, either we hype up somebody because they were good on Meet the Press once, or we hype someone up because we have some useless piece of empirical data, "he a moderate Southern governor!!!, et al."  If you have lived in San Antonio, or you know Julian Castro, fine.  But, otherwise, shut the hell up, pro or con.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2015, 01:19:36 AM »

He was a favorite early on, but now he like the other contenders, whom are competeting.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2015, 04:32:05 PM »

These are candidates Democrats are eager to promote, especially the mayor asked to give a keynote speech and given a cabinet post.

Democrats also have a dearth of potential Hispanic candidates for national office/ prominent Hispanic surrogates. So it makes sense to promote these guys.

Julian Castro is a plausible candidate for Veep, and could run for President in 2020 as a former cabinet official. He'll also have the right of first refusal in any opening for statewide office.'

Joaquin might have to win a statewide race, or get his own cabinet posting, due to the difficulties of minority party US House Members to become national figures.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies