Chance Clinton Doesn't Run
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 07:57:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Chance Clinton Doesn't Run
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Chance Clinton Doesn't Run  (Read 5616 times)
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 23, 2015, 11:30:27 PM »

I know a lot of Republicans are mighty scared of Clinton given her poll numbers, and it seems their best hope is for her not to run.

What's the chance Clinton gives this gift to the GOP?  It appears some are suggesting it's possible.

I say it's basically a 0% chance because the national Democratic party would destroy Clinton if she doesn't run, given her massive advantages in GE polling matchups.  They just won't let her pass up a run, even if she doesn't want one.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 11:39:28 PM »

F__ the national Democratic party. If the Democrats try to attack Clinton for not running, I would leave the Democratic party, and so should she. Further, any party that tries to interfere with the civil liberties of private citizens would be inherently totalitarian and should be destroyed immediately.

The last thing the Democrats should want is a candidate who is physically and mentally unprepared to run. Even if elected, such a person would be a bad president and only serve to eviscerate the party further than the damage Obama has already done (down-ballot).
Abraham Reagan
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 2.96

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 11:42:44 PM »

Clinton not running is about as likely as Ted Cruz becoming a democrat.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 11:43:17 PM »

Like 1-2%.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 11:48:13 PM »

It's hilarious how Democrats are hanging onto her heels like a bunch of pathetic losers anyway, after what they did to her in 2008. I think it would be hilarious if she didn't run and just gave them all the big F.U.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2015, 11:54:54 PM »

It's hilarious how Democrats are hanging onto her heels like a bunch of pathetic losers anyway, after what they did to her in 2008. I think it would be hilarious if she didn't run and just gave them all the big F.U.

Hey, better late than never for them to realize the error of their ways. Tongue
moderatevoter
ModerateVAVoter

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2015, 11:55:09 PM »

That actually would be hilarious.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2015, 01:20:54 AM »

I know a lot of Republicans are mighty scared of Clinton given her poll numbers, and it seems their best hope is for her not to run.

What's the chance Clinton gives this gift to the GOP?  It appears some are suggesting it's possible.

I say it's basically a 0% chance because the national Democratic party would destroy Clinton if she doesn't run, given her massive advantages in GE polling matchups.  They just won't let her pass up a run, even if she doesn't want one.

How could the national Democratic party "destroy" Clinton?
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2015, 02:23:16 AM »

35%. Remember, democrats had to beg her to even consider running. This idea that she's near-certain to run is silly, though based on her book, paid speeches, and the massive drafting effort, it is likelier than not that she will run.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2015, 02:28:06 AM »

What's the chance Clinton gives this gift to the GOP?  It appears some are suggesting it's possible.

I say it's basically a 0% chance because the national Democratic party would destroy Clinton if she doesn't run, given her massive advantages in GE polling matchups.  They just won't let her pass up a run, even if she doesn't want one.

It almost sounds like the DNC mob is going to go after her.

You better run or Chelsea's next.
heatmaster
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2015, 08:48:41 AM »

Over hyped and overrated; remember in 2008? Hillary as we all know was the prohibitive favorite for the nomination and along came this guy Obama; so what makes me think,  even 'if' she gets the nomination, that doesn't mean she's got the election wrapped up. I recall that in 1960, Vice President Nixon was deemed a strong possibility for winning the presidency,  by virtue of the fact he had no primary competition,  what happened?  A guy called John Kennedy who had been seasoned and steeled by a vigorous primary campaign,  by virtue of the fact of him selecting Lyndon Johnson narrowly won that election. The lesson is this, Hillary might not have to endure a competitive primary campaign, that doesn't mean she has a lock on the election. For example say her opponent is one of the following individuals,  Jeb Bush, Mitt Romney, John Kasich, Chris Christie or Rick Perry and one of these individuals go with a female Vice Presidential nominee, e.g. Joni Ernst, Haley,  Susanna Martinez or even Condoleezza Rice. Then everyone might need to throw out the conventional wisdom play book and go back to the drawing board. Democrats & Republicans don't have the wisdom of 20/20 vision in hindsight and as none of us are blessed with the ability of being able to see into the future. Everyone is clinging to the comfort blanket of C.W. & not learning from the lessons of history. Democrats have the hope that a movement conservative like Cruz, Paul, Huckster or Santorum will be the party's standard bearer and therefore the election is there's.  We Republicans are hungry, not stupid...I think cynical pragmatic thinking will prevail and our party will be looking at demographics and electoral votes, when the primary season gets closer. The election is going to be closely fought affair, Democrats are going to be angry that they have to fight for every vote,  all because Republicans are hungry and got smart. Anyone remember 1980? Jimmy Carter despite all the problems,  underestimated Reagan like every one else. But he didn't count on events or someone like John Anderson or the "there you go again" moment in that debate to produce the outcome we got. As the 1980 election illustrates,  depending on conventional wisdom is not a smart call. You have to consider events, issues, the identity of the candidates and yes even maybe those pesky debates. There are so many different scenarios to consider as well. Remember 1968? no one believed in January of that year, the events which would occur. The Tet offensive,  Bobby Kennedy running for President,  his assassination and the assassination of MLK,  the withdrawal of LBJ from the presidential contest,  the riots in Chicago & what happened?  Well the rest is history. The object lesson is this, there will be different dynamics and paradigm's at play in 2016. You heard it here. So please take note.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2015, 09:19:08 AM »

It looks as if Hillary Clinton's chances of not being the Democratic nominee are essentially actuarial (as in health).
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2015, 11:12:45 AM »

It almost sounds like the DNC mob is going to go after her.

You better run or Chelsea's next.

What I meant was that Hillary would be ostracized by the party for choosing not to run and they might try to take away things like speaking engagements from her.
Württemberger
Rookie
Germany
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2015, 11:18:22 AM »

Probably roughly 10%.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2015, 11:42:26 AM »

Less than 5%.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2015, 12:40:37 PM »

I recall that in 1960, Vice President Nixon was deemed a strong possibility for winning the presidency,  by virtue of the fact he had no primary competition,  what happened?  A guy called John Kennedy who had been seasoned and steeled by a vigorous primary campaign,  by virtue of the fact of him selecting Lyndon Johnson narrowly won that election. The lesson is this, Hillary might not have to endure a competitive primary campaign, that doesn't mean she has a lock on the election. For example say her opponent is one of the following individuals,  Jeb Bush, Mitt Romney, John Kasich, Chris Christie or Rick Perry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWXRNySMW4s
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2015, 03:29:34 PM »

30%
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2015, 04:11:04 PM »

Hillary won't run
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2015, 05:48:03 PM »
« Edited: January 24, 2015, 05:57:40 PM by SPC »

About 1%
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2015, 06:16:56 PM »

Same chance that Nixon wouldn't run in 1960 or Gore in 2000
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2015, 06:18:21 PM »
« Edited: January 24, 2015, 06:21:35 PM by SMilo »

Same chance that Nixon wouldn't run in 1960 or Gore in 2000

I hope that means 33% Wink

I know they're independent events, but we're due for a gift!
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2015, 12:10:02 AM »

As a Republican, I would love to have Elizabeth Warren as the Democratic nominee, or Bernie Sanders for that matter.

Both would lose on the issues, plus Warren has baggage.

In terms of the Hillary Clinton question, I am almost certain she will run - I'd give it 90% chance she runs. But, will she be the nominee? Probably. But, of all her prospective opponents (Joe Biden, Elizabeth Warren, Bernie Sanders, Martin O'Mally, Jim Webb) Webb probably has the best chance of defeating her. Why? Biden is undisciplined, O'Mally has lower name I.D. than Warren with liberal activists, Warren is all over the place, and Sanders doesn't come across as presidential - plus he will have no money. Webb will likely do well with voters who supported Barack Obama over Hillary Clinton in 2008 - the left wing of the party, as well as independents in certain states. He could also compete with Hillary for union households as he is running as a populist.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2015, 12:41:25 AM »

What, actually looked at a different candidate and thought, huh, this guy isn't terrible, let's go with him.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2015, 02:13:23 AM »

I really hope she doesn't.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2015, 03:27:39 AM »

I hope she doesn't either. That way we can nominate an Elizabeth Warren or Bernie Sanders and end up with a President Mitt Romney or President Jeb Bush.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies