Country music or pop punk?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:26:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Country music or pop punk?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which do you prefer?
Country

Pop Punk

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 22

Author Topic: Country music or pop punk?  (Read 1678 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 24, 2015, 01:28:34 AM »

Obviously pop punk.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 01:31:44 AM »

There's definitely good country out there, though most is trash. I don't know that I can say the same for pop punk. I do like Charli XCX though, but I don't know if she counts.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 01:37:05 AM »
« Edited: January 24, 2015, 01:43:22 AM by SMilo »

If Your Eyes Are on Me, You're Looking at Country!

One wall of my room is basically a shrine for Kacey Musgraves so honestly can't say anything else. (I don't hate pop punk either though just country is tops).
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 01:37:57 AM »
« Edited: January 24, 2015, 01:40:08 AM by incredibly specific types of post-punk music »

There's definitely good country out there, though most is trash. I don't know that I can say the same for pop punk. I do like Charli XCX though, but I don't know if she counts.

...what the hell? Why the hell would she?

Like for reference, this is probably the most played and covered pop punk song of all time.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 01:42:25 AM »

Pop Punk, although I don't hate either.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2015, 01:56:34 AM »
« Edited: January 24, 2015, 01:59:49 AM by bedstuy »

I love country music and I hate the anti-country knee jerk reaction that happens.  People just sort of assume country is all like the 3 songs they've listened to on the radio for 15 seconds.  That's ridiculous.  Country is a huge genre with many, many great artists and interesting sub-genres.  You don't have to like it, but don't act like you're too intellectual or "hip" for it.

If I go through the pop punk band list on wikipedia: Most of those bands are awful garbage music for annoying 15 year olds in 1999.  The two I like are not pop-punk.  Husker Du is not pop music.  Weezer is not punk music.  Thus neither can be pop-punk.

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2015, 01:58:27 AM »

...what the hell? Why the hell would she?

Plenty of people have labeled her pop punk, from Slate to Rolling Stone to the BBC:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/albumreviews/charli-xcx-sucker-20141217
http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-25330600
http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2014/12/02/charli_xcx_breaking_up_video_watch_the_singer_kiss_her_ex_goodbye_with_a.html
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2015, 02:03:07 AM »
« Edited: January 24, 2015, 02:07:23 AM by incredibly specific types of post-punk music »

I love country music and I hate the anti-country knee jerk reaction that happens.  People just sort of assume country is all like the 3 songs they've listened to on the radio for 15 seconds.  That's ridiculous.  Country is a huge genre with many, many great artists and interesting sub-genres.  You don't have to like it, but don't act like you're too intellectual or "hip" for it.

If I go through the pop punk band list on wikipedia: Most of those bands are awful garbage music for annoying 15 year olds in 1999.  I only like two of the bands listed and dispute both of their listings.  Husker Du is not pop music.  Weezer is not punk music.  Thus neither can be pop-punk.

Unsurprisingly that list is terrible, but if you seriously think JAWBREAKER and say The Wonder Years fit that description there's something very wrong.

Also basically every pop punk show I've been to in the last 5 years or so has been a bunch of people with a median age of probably around 27 getting extremely intoxicated and jumping around and crowdsurfing. Stupid music for 15-year olds is more like this.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2015, 02:17:00 AM »

I love country music and I hate the anti-country knee jerk reaction that happens.  People just sort of assume country is all like the 3 songs they've listened to on the radio for 15 seconds.  That's ridiculous.  Country is a huge genre with many, many great artists and interesting sub-genres.  You don't have to like it, but don't act like you're too intellectual or "hip" for it.

If I go through the pop punk band list on wikipedia: Most of those bands are awful garbage music for annoying 15 year olds in 1999.  I only like two of the bands listed and dispute both of their listings.  Husker Du is not pop music.  Weezer is not punk music.  Thus neither can be pop-punk.

Unsurprisingly that list is terrible, but if you seriously think JAWBREAKER and say The Wonder Years fit that description there's something very wrong.

Also basically every pop punk show I've been to in the last 5 years or so has been a bunch of people with a median age of probably around 27 getting extremely intoxicated and jumping around and crowdsurfing. Stupid music for 15-year olds is more like this.

Well, if you're 30, you might go to a Blink 182 concert at the county fair to relive your glory days, rather than because you actually like pop-punk.  I can imagine liking Blink 182, if you have bad taste in music like a 14 year old.  I can also imagine liking Blink 182, despite knowing how mediocre it is, because it transports you to another time in your life.  Music can trigger a sense memory and bring you back to moments in the past.

But, as a music fan, I think Blink 182, Sum 41 and Good Charlotte sucked in 2002 and they suck now.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2015, 02:20:53 AM »

But those bands are both: 1-Not representative of most pop punk, especially ones at shows (not concerts) in bars where most people are drunk and 2-I don't like any of them except Blink 182.

Seriously Jawbreaker is not Good Charlotte.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2015, 03:06:02 AM »

Country (normal American), even though BRTD's characteristically weird definition of 'pop punk' includes a higher proportion of genuinely decent stuff than the way the term is normally used.
Knives
solopop
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2015, 03:29:25 AM »

COUNTRY.

Johnny Cash
Patsy Cline
Dolly Parton
John Denver
Loretta Lyne
Willie Nelson
Dixie Chicks
Carrie Underwood
Kacey Musgraves
Brandy Clarke

>>>>>>>>>>> 

every pop punk artist
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2015, 06:02:37 AM »

Country is such trash 99% of the time.  Pop punk. 
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2015, 06:18:23 AM »

Country, by far. If only for John Cash and Willie Nelson.

Really? I have a couple of CDs at home -and listened to them-. I think that songs like the linked below meet with my concept of 'pop music'. However, it's not the type of 'pop' associated with Taylor Swift and similar artists (or whatever). What the hell is 'pop music'?  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoKeH7JYE48

On the other hand, I doubt that Avril Lavigne is 'punk' as she's listed on Wiki.
checkers
Not Great Bob
Australia

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2015, 06:57:34 AM »
« Edited: January 24, 2015, 07:01:26 AM by beatrice »

If we're defining pop punk so broadly as to include say Hüsker Dü, well then, that. If not ... I suppose there are some unambiguously country artists I enjoy, such as Johnny Cash (boring answer).

EDIT: I have to admit, I quite enjoyed the Jawbreaker song that BRTD linked.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2015, 08:30:04 AM »

Country is such trash 99% of the time.  Pop punk. 
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2015, 09:16:21 AM »

Country (sane)
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2015, 10:26:02 AM »

Pop punk, but not exactly the way BRTD would define it.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies