Presidential Debate Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:07:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Presidential Debate Thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Presidential Debate Thread  (Read 1057 times)
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 24, 2015, 12:17:45 PM »

Though I am still on the road until Monday, I have been asked by both Presidential candidates, Senator Bore and Secretary Potus to moderate their debate. I thought I could start now since I have the chance at the moment.

In my capacity as GM, I have pledged to support neither candidate over the other. Indeed, I like them both as friends and have worked closely with both of them. Here's how I figure the debate will go:

Each candidate may make an opening statement, then I will ask a question to one candidate and the other will be allowed to respond. The candidates will be permitted to ask each other a single question and a follow up and then there will be closing statements.

I randomly flipped a coin to decide who goes first and Potus won the toss. His opening statement will be followed by Bore's.

Gentlemen, whenever you're ready.
Potus
Potus2036

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 03:56:42 PM »

Thank you, Cynic, for moderating this debate. Thank you Senator Bore for being a worthy, and civil opponent.

This is an election of vision. Atlasia faces trying times. A weak economy, growing fears of inflation, and wounds to national unity that are only just scarring over. These are the domestic issues the next President will face. Couple those concerns with a dangerous world beyond our borders, and the demand for a clear governing vision comes into focus.

I have offered that vision, both in the campaign and during my service as Secretary of State. The concerns of Atlasians here at home must be addressed by responsible policies. And they deserve to have the success of their President measured in clear terms. That's why I made the First 30 Day Pledge. Additionally, my tenure as Secretary has seen a very large dedication to peace abroad.

In this debate, I will once again offer and defend my vision. I hope that voters will join me in fighting for a new prosperity.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 02:18:59 PM »

Thank you, Mr. Secretary.

Senator, your opening statement, sir?
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 02:40:45 PM »

Hello everyone, first I'd like to thank GM Cynic for hosting this debate, and thank Potus for agreeing to take part in what I hope will be a civil and informative debate.

To introduce myself to those people not familiar, I'm bore, the current regional senator for the northeast and also speaker of the senate. Before succeeding Scott to the senate I was a representative in the northeast assembly on and off for about a year, eventually becoming speaker.

I'm running for the presidency because I believe atlas would be better off by choosing, to use my opponents term, my vision. I want to see an atlas whose swords have been made into ploughshares, where all people are treated equally, where all people, no matter their birth, have excellent education and healthcare. Furthermore, I want to see an atlas of activity, with people of different political viewpoints being able to defend their own views, where newspapers exist and the law is clear.

I don't think these are controversial ideals, but I do think my presidency would be especially focused on delivering them, be it through working hard with the senate (I think my, and Bacon King's experience with that body would enable me to work productively with it) or focusing on international development to build a more just world.

Finally, before I get accused of being a hippy idealist, I'd like to say that a bore presidency would recognise the truth the best way to achieve something is not always the most obvious way. For instance to bring lasting peace we can't make our army powerless and there is no point implementing a tax designed to reduce inequality if it is roundly ignored.

Thank you for reading and I look forward to the debate.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 09:32:27 PM »

Thank you, Senator.

The first question to Secretary Potus is on the economic front. What are your thoughts on the current Senate proposal to in ten years time raise the minimum wage to $25 an hour and do you feel that such a high minimum wage would be a boon or a detriment to the economic growth of Atlasia? Why or why not?
Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
Peru

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 09:51:38 PM »

Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 09:54:32 PM »

This is disgusting, cancerous smut.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 10:05:15 PM »

Senator TNF, in the past, has labelled his own legislation what it really is. Massive minimum wage hikes, new programs, enormous expansion of unionization are all trademarks of his means. They are, however, not his end.

TNF supports legislation like this as a means to his own ends. He knows that a $25 dollar minimum wage would be such an enormous shock to the economy, such a bizarre adjustment for the market to make, that it would fundamentally weaken capitalism.

The TNF-Labor agenda here isn't to make working families better off. It isn't to grow the economy or help people. The Senator is trying to force so many massive adjustments on the market that it causes our mixed economy to end. TNF is using this as a stepping stone to communism.

I ask that every anti-communist in this country, Labor or TPP or Fed or any party, to join our campaign. I've got a record of opposing policies such as energy nationalization from its conception to its final vote. I'll stand strong against the communist fringe in this country.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 10:08:49 PM »

Senator, your response?
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 06:30:16 AM »

Potus seems to be under the misapprehension that he is running against Senator TNF, which he patently is not. I'm not entirely sure atlasia can trust someone who confuses the presidency and myself with the midwest regional senate seat and TNF.

But, like atlasians of all stripes, including many laborites, for instance former Governor Talleyrand and Griffin, who no one can accuse of being a moderate hero, I don't support a 25 dollar minimum wage. The consequences of one would be disastrous. This is neither surprising nor does it put me at odds with my party or the centre left of atlasia more generally. It's worth noting however that the 25 dollar minimum wage is set for ten years hence, which given the rate of inflation currently probably isn't all that much of an increase in real terms.

Besides, the red menace that Potus warns us about is really not that much of a menace at all. Even if all the trots currently registered in atlasia won a senate seat they still wouldn't have a majority. TNF is a great senator who I am glad we have in atlasia (no other senator has been so consistently active or produced so many bills, even if they have had to be amended), but as he would himself acknowledge hardly the mainstream voice of the senate or of labor. I invite those people who think I think and vote  exactly like TNF to check almost any controversial senate bill over the past year, for example the Civil Rights Bill that is just finishing the senate now.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2015, 11:27:41 AM »

Senator, you brought up the case of the Civil Rights Bill. With the news of several threats made on Atlasian politicians, what will your administration do to both suppress that kind of violence and make sure the bill is enforceable?
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2015, 10:48:42 AM »

My administration would enforce the law that ultimately passes, come what may.

I think this is an issue that me and potus can agree on. Whether you do or do not agree with the law, barring something incredibly immoral like the fugitive slave act, you must abide by it and not threaten the lives of supporters of it.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2015, 03:50:29 PM »

Mr. Secretary?
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2015, 01:03:05 PM »

It is the duty of the Executive Branch to implement the laws of the legislature. That's the constitutional responsibility of the President, and the day the President can unilaterally change the law via selective enforcement is the day checks and balances fall out of balance.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2015, 01:02:20 PM »

I'm not sure if Cynic is going to continue moderating this debate?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies