has tinder ruined our society once and for all?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:23:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  has tinder ruined our society once and for all?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Huh
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 27

Author Topic: has tinder ruined our society once and for all?  (Read 3250 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2015, 08:47:28 PM »

I was actually acquainted with Grindr long, long ago. My good friend and roommate in sophomore year used it very frequently and had a revolving door of men coming in and out of the apartment. The difference of course is that Grindr serves a purpose in the gay community that it doesn't really in the straight community (because the baseline assumption is that everyone is straight).

I'm a big fan of online dating usually. Like OkCupid is great. I think it's a much better way of dating that meeting a stranger in a bar and finding out like two weeks later than you're totally incompatible on something. But Tinder is just weird and creepy.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2015, 08:36:44 AM »

I'm not a big fan of Tinder but I also don't mind it that much. Never used it myself though. Did give my friend a job!

You don't mind people basically choosing who to chat with based solely on physical attractiveness?  Colored me shocked, Staf. 

Not sure which way you're running with that joke, but of course I don't. Why would I? I'm not a prude like Lief.

To answer Swedish Cheese, nope actually not. Her date turned into a job interview and she got hired for a legal firm of some kind. Hilariously, her job was to translate legal documents from Swedish to English in spite of not speaking any Swedish. I had to help her a fair bit with that sh*t.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2015, 08:37:26 AM »

I was actually acquainted with Grindr long, long ago. My good friend and roommate in sophomore year used it very frequently and had a revolving door of men coming in and out of the apartment. The difference of course is that Grindr serves a purpose in the gay community that it doesn't really in the straight community (because the baseline assumption is that everyone is straight).

I'm a big fan of online dating usually. Like OkCupid is great. I think it's a much better way of dating that meeting a stranger in a bar and finding out like two weeks later than you're totally incompatible on something. But Tinder is just weird and creepy.

If Tinder was a poster would you support banning it?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2015, 09:18:12 AM »

It's depressing that the site is getting more Tinder-ish. (AFAIK the OKCupid mobile app is virtually identical.)

What exactly does that mean?

I'm not bothered by any particular person using Tinder. I mean, do whatever you like. But I don't want it to become a fixture, a swipe stamping on a human face forever. Apparently it's extremely popular among undergraduates now? My younger brother started using it as a freshman.

Yikes!
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2015, 09:56:11 AM »

I'm not a big fan of Tinder but I also don't mind it that much. Never used it myself though. Did give my friend a job!

You don't mind people basically choosing who to chat with based solely on physical attractiveness?  Colored me shocked, Staf. 

Not sure which way you're running with that joke, but of course I don't. Why would I? I'm not a prude like Lief.

Where I was going?  Your past attitude towards innocent, kindly opebo suggested to me that relations are reserved for two with a deep, metaphysical/personal connection and months of pair bonding.  It seems you've entered the world of acceptance when it comes to shallow, emotionless bang-bang based on hotness.  Welcome aboard!  Maybe I'll venture over to Sweden and we can make it rain at some rave where they play dramatic European techno. 
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2015, 10:42:20 AM »

You mean Tender?  He's not so bad.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2015, 10:45:19 AM »

Where I was going?  Your past attitude towards innocent, kindly opebo suggested to me that relations are reserved for two with a deep, metaphysical/personal connection and months of pair bonding.  It seems you've entered the world of acceptance when it comes to shallow, emotionless bang-bang based on hotness.  Welcome aboard!  Maybe I'll venture over to Sweden and we can make it rain at some rave where they play dramatic European techno. 

Huh? I have casual sex all the time. I have nothing against people enjoying sex without being in love or whatever. I'm no fan of prostitution though. Like, when my friend hooked up with a guy over Tinder and then showed up with his gloves that she stole because she viewed it as payment for services rendered I subjected her to a fair bit of rude jokes. Tongue

And I'm afraid dramatic European techno raves isn't really my scene for picking up girls...
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2015, 10:46:03 AM »

I think they're about equally creepy. Tongue
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2015, 12:25:15 PM »

If Tinder was a poster would you support banning it?

No, of course not. I would befriend him and defend from you and the rest of the ban brigade.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2015, 12:51:47 PM »

I think they're about equally creepy. Tongue

I ain't creepy. Just a bit strange, in a nice way.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2015, 12:53:55 PM »

I have never heard of Tinder until Lief sent me a PM about it.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2015, 01:08:58 PM »

I have never heard of Tinder until Lief sent me a PM about it.

Its pretty much worldwide, but there are certain areas that it is bigger in than others.  Probably more popular in the NY metro area than pretty much anywhere else.
Panda Express

« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2015, 06:30:51 PM »

To answer Swedish Cheese, nope actually not. Her date turned into a job interview and she got hired for a legal firm of some kind. Hilariously, her job was to translate legal documents from Swedish to English in spite of not speaking any Swedish. I had to help her a fair bit with that sh*t.

Am I understanding this story correctly? We have 3 people - Gustaf, Gustaf's (female) friend and Guy From Tinder

Gustaf's female friend gets - Sex + a job/paycheck
Guy On Tinder gets - Sex + his documents translated
Gustaf gets - to do all the work translating the documents?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2015, 07:09:24 PM »

Am I understanding this story correctly? We have 3 people - Gustaf, Gustaf's (female) friend and Guy From Tinder

Gustaf's female friend gets - Sex + a job/paycheck
Guy On Tinder gets - Sex + his documents translated
Gustaf gets - to do all the work translating the documents?

Lol, no, they didn't have sex. Even my friends aren't quite *that* unethical. I also didn't get to do ALL the work. Just answer questions about it during a long road trip. Tongue

I'm also pretty sure I got something out if it, like a nice dinner or something. I'm not that nice of a person, you see. Wink
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies