If Obama had picked a different VP...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 11:54:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  If Obama had picked a different VP...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: If Obama had picked a different VP...  (Read 2667 times)
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 25, 2015, 01:47:56 PM »

If Obama had picked a different VP (particularly a younger one), how well do you think that VP would be positioned to run in 2016? Do you think Clinton would still be considered the favorite by most people?

Some of the options:
-Bayh (currently 59 years old)
-Kaine (56)
-Sebelius (66)
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 03:14:25 PM »

If Obama's primary motivation in choosing a VP in 2008 would have been establishing a clear successor, he would have picked Clinton.  Biden was chosen as VP in part because he was clearly not in a position to succeed Obama.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 03:47:14 PM »

Read in Game Changer that Sebelius and Bayh were both considered weak choices who simply weren't good enough to be VP.

I still think that Obama should of picked Jack Reed. Foreign policy credentials and elder statesmen image imo
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 04:03:59 PM »

Read in Game Changer that Sebelius and Bayh were both considered weak choices who simply weren't good enough to be VP.

I thought Game Change said that it was a coin flip between Bayh & Biden. Probably would've been Bayh had he not been Hillary's most likely VP.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 04:53:44 PM »

Bayh would have been an unbelievably terrible choice. I would not have voted for Obama.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 04:57:48 PM »

I don't know why Sebelius would have been considered. She is a Cabinet type politician.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 05:18:03 PM »

She'd probably still be leading them by a huge margin, but by a lot less than she's currently leading Biden.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 05:34:22 PM »

If Sebelius were VP, 2016 chatter for her would have started back in 2008. I'd guess she and Hillary would probably poll fairly close now. The other guys wouldn't be nearly as close but I agree with Ice they'd be closer than Biden.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2015, 06:19:09 PM »

I thought Game Change said that it was a coin flip between Bayh & Biden. Probably would've been Bayh had he not been Hillary's most likely VP.

Yeah I couldn't remember if it was Bayh or Kaine who was considered crap along with Sebelius Tongue
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2015, 06:38:03 PM »

One reason for selecting Joe Biden was that he lived off his Senate income with practically no personal assets other than his home and his savings. He could never be connected to any corrupt deals or conflicts of interest.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2015, 06:47:52 PM »

Bayh would have been an unbelievably terrible choice. I would not have voted for Obama.

Could you please elaborate?
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2015, 07:20:51 PM »

Interesting question.

I think there would have been a lot of behind the scenes manuevering.

It might be like California with Newsom and Harris both wanting the governorship.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2015, 07:24:12 PM »

Interesting question.

It might be like California with Newsom and Harris both wanting the governorship.

She can't want it that badly if she's running for senate 2 years before it opens up.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2015, 11:20:14 PM »

Al Gore might've been fun.  And minus Rielle Hunter, I feel like John Edwards could've been a solid choice.  Good-looking, fairly charismatic, solid liberal credentials, national exposure from being Kerry's number 2 in 04.  But what would've become of Joe Biden?  Secretary of State instead of Hillary?
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2015, 11:28:35 PM »

Al Gore might've been fun.  And minus Rielle Hunter, I feel like John Edwards could've been a solid choice.  Good-looking, fairly charismatic, solid liberal credentials, national exposure from being Kerry's number 2 in 04.  But what would've become of Joe Biden?  Secretary of State binstead of Hillary?

I was wondering the same thing. Would Obama have pick Biden as SoS instead and appoint Hillary to another cabinet position (Secretary of Defense perhaps), or does she remain in the Senate?

I mean, her time as SoS played a huge part in her current position right now. Would she still be the prohibitive frontrunner if she had remain a Senator or served in the Cabinet in a different capacity?
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2015, 11:34:08 PM »

Al Gore might've been fun.  And minus Rielle Hunter, I feel like John Edwards could've been a solid choice.  Good-looking, fairly charismatic, solid liberal credentials, national exposure from being Kerry's number 2 in 04.  But what would've become of Joe Biden?  Secretary of State binstead of Hillary?

I was wondering the same thing. Would Obama have pick Biden as SoS instead and appoint Hillary to another cabinet position (Secretary of Defense perhaps), or does she remain in the Senate?

I mean, her time as SoS played a huge part in her current position right now. Would she still be the prohibitive frontrunner if she had remain a Senator or served in the Cabinet in a different capacity?

I feel like if she wasn't appointed Secretary of State, she wouldn't have a political incentive to take another cabinet position.  Other than State (and potentially even State), no position would offer her the national coverage that she'd receive by staying in the Senate, supporting (or on perhaps a few occasions opposing) the President's agenda.

She'd also maintain the independence to distance herself from the President if/when necessary to keep herself clear of any association with the administration come 2016, but that offers up a greater chance of being challenged from the left.  Warren v. Hillary 2016?  Or would Warren still believe the benefits of having the first female President outweigh ideological impurity?
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2015, 11:48:46 PM »

Interesting question.

She can't want it that badly if she's running for senate 2 years before it opens up.
That came after Newsom essentially forced her hand.

Apparently Obama offered Biden his choice of being Veep or Secretary of State.

Clinton might not be the prohibitive frontrunner if she hadn't served as Secretary of State. It gave her a higher profile, while allowing her to take credit with Obama supporters for working in his administration. If she wasn't given this chance, the biggest opportunity for her might have been Governor of New York.

This is a What If, so we could just imagine Biden rubbing Obama the wrong way, and Obama still picking Clinton as Secretary of State.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2015, 11:52:43 PM »

Clinton might not be the prohibitive frontrunner if she hadn't served as Secretary of State. It gave her a higher profile, while allowing her to take credit with Obama supporters for working in his administration. If she wasn't given this chance, the biggest opportunity for her might have been Governor of New York.

This is a What If, so we could just imagine Biden rubbing Obama the wrong way, and Obama still picking Clinton as Secretary of State.
[/quote]

That's really interesting, I didn't know Obama had such a deep respect/preference for Biden.  Were the two really close during their time in the Senate together?
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2015, 12:58:34 AM »
« Edited: January 26, 2015, 01:12:53 AM by Intell »

Initial VP Choices considerd by the public

Major Presidential Contenders Considered for VP 

Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton of New York
Governor Bill Richardson of New Mexico
Senator Joe Biden of Delaware

Governors Considerd for VP

Governor Tim Kaine of Virginia
Governor Ed Rendell of Pennsylvania
Governor Kathleen Sebelius of Kansas
Governor Brian Schweitzer of Montana

Senators Considered for VP

Senator and former Governor Evan Bayh of Indiana
Former Senator Sam Nunn of Georgia
Senator Jack Reed of Rhode Island

Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2015, 01:11:17 AM »

Short List Candidates Considerd by the Media

Delaware Senator Joe Biden
Indiana Senator Evan Bayh
Virginia Governor Tim Kaine
Kansas Governor Kathleen Sebelius
New Mexico Governor Bill Richardson
Rhode Island Senator Jack Reed
Connecticut Senator Chris Dodd
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2015, 01:14:24 AM »

Obama's Final List for VP Choice

Senator Joe Biden of Delaware
Senator Evan Bayh of Indiana
Governor Tim Kaine of Virginia
Governor Kathleen Sebelius of Kansas
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2015, 04:50:13 AM »

Could you please elaborate?

The worst of the thankfully defunct right-wing DLC.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2015, 09:43:35 AM »

That's really interesting, I didn't know Obama had such a deep respect/preference for Biden.  Were the two really close during their time in the Senate together?
[/quote]Not really. They developed more respect for one another during the primary, and the aftermath.

At the time Obama was willing to select Biden as his running mate, he presumably had a high opinion of the guy.

Random link on the topic, which I think was in Game Change.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2009/01/jill-biden-tell/
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2015, 01:07:39 PM »

Still wonder if Al Gore would of been a good choice? Can't see him wanting to be a VP again for 8 years but really well qualified, and Gore 2016?
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2015, 03:03:50 PM »

All I know is that Delaware would have fallen right into the GOP's hands!  Tongue
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies