Do you support Grexit?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:06:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Do you support Grexit?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Do you support Grexit
Yes

No

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 59

Author Topic: Do you support Grexit?  (Read 2919 times)
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2015, 06:20:04 PM »

No, I support making the Euro a real common currency rather than the monstrosity we have now.
Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2015, 06:27:34 PM »

It's like crashing against a wall, certain narratives will remain the same in spite of developments.

Grexit and a general contraction in size of the eurozone. The EZ is clearly not working and it is endangering the general European project.

The Eurozone is not working because there's a misguided political direction and a defective institutional architecture. Neither of the two is the Greece's fault. Another question is if you need a scapegoat. On the other hand, there's not 'European project' at this point.

Greece is part of the problem. As is a general difference in opinion about the role of the ECB and a variety of other policy questions. Which is why it makes sense to limit the euro to an area where you have a broad agreement on those matters. There is no point in lumping together countries on the other hand that have immense cultural differences concerning these issues.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2015, 04:44:47 AM »

There is no point in lumping together countries on the other hand that have immense cultural differences concerning these issues.

Cultural differences in the origin of a bad institutional design and the role of the ECB? LOL. Greece is only a symptom of that and your sentence - which just reflects a extended thinking- only proves that the so called European project is dead for many. Actually you are Eurosceptic, it's only that you haven't realised.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2015, 04:54:28 AM »

No, he is for Europe, as long than Germany is running it.
Beezer

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2015, 06:01:36 AM »

No, I am for cooperation on a variety of topics that Europeans can agree on. I do think that the EU sans Euro has been a fantastic success story. W/o European integration, some countries in Europe might have slid back into authoritarianism during the last economic crisis. Being within the European fold has kept them on a relatively tight leash though. I enjoy traveling through a Europe w/o borders and having the ability to relatively easily move between member states.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I don't get what there is to lol about. The Germans wanted this kind of ECB. German politicians would in all likelihood never have signed up to a project guided by a less Bundesbanky ECB while other nations begrudgingly signed up to such a framework. So as you can see some of the problems are down to rather different interpretations of the role and scope of a central bank.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2015, 03:27:53 PM »

It's like crashing against a wall, certain narratives will remain the same in spite of developments.

Grexit and a general contraction in size of the eurozone. The EZ is clearly not working and it is endangering the general European project.

The Eurozone is not working because there's a misguided political direction and a defective institutional architecture. Neither of the two is the Greece's fault.

Considering that a major symptom of "misguided political direction" has been allowing Greece to join the Eurozone, and that a big chunk of the "defective institutional architecture" has been having Greece in the Eurozone, I would not have Greece acquited of the blame so easily.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2015, 04:06:44 PM »

The Eurozone is not working because there's a misguided political direction and a defective institutional architecture. Neither of the two is the Greece's fault.

Considering that a major symptom of "misguided political direction" has been allowing Greece to join the Eurozone, and that a big chunk of the "defective institutional architecture" has been having Greece in the Eurozone, I would not have Greece acquited of the blame so easily.

No, the issue is than Eurozone policies are decided by Germany, for Germany.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2015, 04:11:04 PM »

Well, then expell Germany and see what is left Smiley
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2015, 04:16:01 PM »

No, but, I mean, if they really want a common money, they must compromise. Euro can't be a Deutsch Mark than other countries happen to use, unless you want to destroy European Union in the process.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2015, 04:18:56 PM »

No, but, I mean, if they really want a common money, they must compromise. Euro can't be a Deutsch Mark than other countries happen to use, unless you want to destroy European Union in the process.

Well, the reasonable compromise would be to have Germany and a few other willilng countries to keep the euro and the rest (the non-willing) do whatever they like - they can create their own "southern euro" if they so like.  Alternatively, I suggest annexing Greece to Bavaria - that way Greeks would have some representation in the Bundestag.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2015, 04:21:16 PM »

Well, the reasonable compromise would be to have Germany and a few other willilng countries to keep the euro and the rest (the non-willing) do whatever they like - they can create their own "southern euro" if they so like.  Alternatively, I suggest annexing Greece to Bavaria - that way Greeks would have some representation in the Bundestag.

The issue is while it may please Germany, it won't ever please European Union and Eurocrats.
Beezer

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2015, 05:17:03 PM »

What makes you think Germany is running the show? It can't govern the EZ on its own...numerous other countries support Germany's stance or actually advocate a tougher line (see Finland) which is why you have a focus on reforms and austerity.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies