Is George W. Bush still hurting the Republican Party
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:23:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Is George W. Bush still hurting the Republican Party
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Bush legacy hurting the Republicans?
Yes, it still plays a big role

No, the Republicans haven't nominated good candidates

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 88

Author Topic: Is George W. Bush still hurting the Republican Party  (Read 6538 times)
hangfan91
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 25, 2015, 03:20:37 PM »

McCain probably lost in 2008 because Obama was a fresh breathe of change away from the Bush administration.

Is Bush still to blame for the Republican party's troubles? Or is it the wackiness of the tea party?
Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix
E: -6.90, S: -6.17

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 03:57:41 PM »

McCain probably lost in 2008 because Obama was a fresh breathe of change away from the Bush administration.

Is Bush still to blame for the Republican party's troubles? Or is it the wackiness of the tea party?

Both.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 05:17:37 PM »

Both.
More so the latter than the former at this point.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 05:19:52 PM »

Both.

Most definitely.  I feel as if the Democrats will start talking about GWB a lot more in order to rev-up minority/Millennial turnout in 2016, especially if Jeb is the nominee.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 05:25:54 PM »

Doubt it, he was and may become so again if Jeb gets nominated.

But for now, it's the Tea Party that formed in response to the fall of neoconservatism in light of Dubya.

They've moved the GOP away from conservatism in favor of regression, which simply doesn't sit with most voters.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 05:27:03 PM »

Let's compare. At the 2016 national conventions...

The Democrats will have:
1. Barack Obama, an outgoing president who is very popular with his own party.
2. Bill Clinton, a former president who is very popular with his party and with a number of non-Democrats.
3. Jimmy Carter, a former president who was rather mediocre but is somewhat well-regarded as a humanitarian/elder statesman figure.

The Republicans will have:
1. George W. Bush, a former president who is unpopular with much of his party and with most non-Republicans, to the point that he was not welcome at the 2008 and 2012 conventions and probably won't attend the 2016 convention either.
2. George H. W. Bush, a former president whose ideology is so divorced from the modern GOP that it's hard to see him feeling welcome to play an active role in the party without some sort of time machine. And even if he wanted to, he's too feeble and unhealthy at this point to be involved.

For people who don't like the Tea Party, the Establishment Republican Party is usually associated with George W. Bush. And independent voters don't like him either, albeit for a different set of reasons.

I definitely think the GOP is going to need a Kennedy-esque figure to serve as the foundation for rebuilding their brand in the national consciousness.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 05:28:00 PM »

Both.

Most definitely.  I feel as if the Democrats will start talking about GWB a lot more in order to rev-up minority/Millennial turnout in 2016, especially if Jeb is the nominee.

George W. Bush made me leave the GOP. The Tea Party ensured that I would never come back.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 05:53:56 PM »

Maybe a little, but not as much as people seem to think.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2015, 06:29:05 PM »

Yes, he'll come up, and whoever the republican nominee is will have to make clear that he/she won't go back to his policies, something Romney failed to do. But he won't be the HUGE drag that he was on the party in '06/'08, and he won't be used as a person to 'tie present, negative economic numbers to' like he was in '12.

Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2015, 06:31:55 PM »

Let's compare. At the 2016 national conventions...

The Democrats will have:
1. Barack Obama, an outgoing president who is very popular with his own party.
2. Bill Clinton, a former president who is very popular with his party and with a number of non-Democrats.
3. Jimmy Carter, a former president who was rather mediocre but is somewhat well-regarded as a humanitarian/elder statesman figure.

The Republicans will have:
1. George W. Bush, a former president who is unpopular with much of his party and with most non-Republicans, to the point that he was not welcome at the 2008 and 2012 conventions and probably won't attend the 2016 convention either.
2. George H. W. Bush, a former president whose ideology is so divorced from the modern GOP that it's hard to see him feeling welcome to play an active role in the party without some sort of time machine. And even if he wanted to, he's too feeble and unhealthy at this point to be involved.

Pretty sure the Republicans win on this count, since Democrats have Carter. Without him, your point would be much stronger.
Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix
E: -6.90, S: -6.17

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2015, 06:58:41 PM »

Both.

Well, yeah, while both are still having significant negative effects on today's GOP, I can agree that the latter's effects are more significant atm.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2015, 07:06:58 PM »

Yes, he will prevent his brother from winning the 2016 election. If Republicans are lucky, that will occur in the primary instead of the general election.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2015, 07:37:34 PM »

At this point, I legitimately believe George W. Bush could actually be a net asset.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2015, 07:42:35 PM »

Honestly, I think that he's much less of a liability as he was in 2008, and that Barack Obama will be a liability forever, to some degree. His presidency is the reason we lost all the Blue Dogs in the South, as the election of a Black president was the final straw with Southern voters.

As for 2012, that's what happens when you run the craziest candidates you can find.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2015, 07:44:51 PM »

Honestly, I think that he's much less of a liability as he was in 2008, and that Barack Obama will be a liability forever, to some degree. His presidency is the reason we lost all the Blue Dogs in the South, as the election of a Black president was the final straw with Southern voters.

If that was the "final straw" for them, then you shouldn't want them back.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2015, 07:58:55 PM »

@Wolverine: I could argue that Bush is the final nail in the coffin for the Northeast, as the election of rural born-again hick pretty much got rid of what few Rockefeller Republicans there were...sure Toomey,Kirk, Johnson, Collins, and Ayotte exist...but four of them are likely dead politically in 2016 and Maine will probably be DEEP ATLAS RED for good once Collins retires

So don't cry about the South for the Dems, they have the Northeast and California to more than make that up.

As for Obama, he brought in Virginia and brought the coastal South that didn't even vote for Clinton back to competitiveness.

And anyway, Clinton was considered an scourge for a long time and personally very disregarded in spite of well received policies...sorta like Reagan...propped up by hindsight by  harsher ideologues, and one day so will Obama....if Christie or some GOP actually beats Clinton.

As for Carter, he's made a new name and like Truman, most of what he did is now considered quite sensible in the situation anyway.
hopper
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2015, 09:10:13 PM »

As for 2012, that's what happens when you run the craziest candidates you can find.
Yes to some degree the Blue Dogs lost of Obama being black but that is not the whole reason why the Blue Dogs lost in the South.
Nichlemn

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2015, 09:14:37 PM »

To a small degree, particularly among voters who came of age in the Bush Administration. However, his approval rating is up to neutral/positive these days (although it's still plausible that someone might abstractly "approve" of a former President while subconsciously holding his party in a negative light for actions taken place in his Presidency).
hopper
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2015, 10:36:41 PM »

@Wolverine: I could argue that Bush is the final nail in the coffin for the Northeast, as the election of rural born-again hick pretty much got rid of what few Rockefeller Republicans there were...sure Toomey,Kirk, Johnson, Collins, and Ayotte exist...but four of them are likely dead politically in 2016 and Maine will probably be DEEP ATLAS RED for good once Collins retires

So don't cry about the South for the Dems, they have the Northeast and California to more than make that up.

As for Obama, he brought in Virginia and brought the coastal South that didn't even vote for Clinton back to competitiveness.

And anyway, Clinton was considered an scourge for a long time and personally very disregarded in spite of well received policies...sorta like Reagan...propped up by hindsight by  harsher ideologues, and one day so will Obama....if Christie or some GOP actually beats Clinton.

As for Carter, he's made a new name and like Truman, most of what he did is now considered quite sensible in the situation anyway.
Yes Kirk and Johnson will probably lose. Toomey and Ayotte can still win I think.

Don't think Maine is in the bag once Collins retires. They elected a Republican for ME-02.

Yes Obama brought you guys NC and VA but not SC and not even GA.

Yes people like Carter personally and they respect him more than they did say more than even a few years ago. I will go that far for Carter.
hopper
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2015, 10:45:55 PM »

Both.

George W. Bush made me leave the GOP. The Tea Party ensured that I would never come back.
The Tea Party was a fad. Its not that popular anymore.
Angel of Death
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2015, 11:40:16 PM »

Relevant FiveThirtyEight post
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2015, 12:10:01 AM »

To a small degree, particularly among voters who came of age in the Bush Administration. However, his approval rating is up to neutral/positive these days (although it's still plausible that someone might abstractly "approve" of a former President while subconsciously holding his party in a negative light for actions taken place in his Presidency).

I didn't know that, but it doesn't surprise me. People don't seem to think or care much about Bush these days.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2015, 12:56:52 AM »

They do when they tout up Jeb Bush to remind us all of him.   
stegosaurus
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 1.83

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2015, 08:52:04 AM »

http://www.gallup.com/poll/171794/clinton-elder-bush-positively-rated-living-presidents.aspx

W was over 50% approval as of June 2014. I think it's fair to say that most people have gotten over it.

It's Ted Cruz and the other braindead reactionaries that the media showcases as somehow representative of the GOP as a whole that harms the party nationally.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2015, 09:51:28 AM »

I wouldn't call that approval with an ex-President so much as positive opinion of W as a human being. 63% and 52% of Americans do not approve of Bush Sr and Carter's job as President.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies