2012: Bill Clinton endorses Romney
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:53:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  2012: Bill Clinton endorses Romney
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2012: Bill Clinton endorses Romney  (Read 1203 times)
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 25, 2015, 04:01:11 PM »

Let's say Bill Clinton, out of personal hatred for Obama, decided to endorse Romney. I assume they wouldn't have allowed him to speak at the RNC like Zell Miller or Lieberman, but could it have moved any votes?
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 04:04:41 PM »

This would literally never happen
Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix
E: -6.90, S: -6.17

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 04:05:59 PM »

Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 04:06:59 PM »

I don't think so. While it's true that, IMO, Clinton netted Obama a huge number of votes in 2012, especially with his economic speech at the 2012 convention, I don't think he would have ended up helping Romney if he endorsed him. The reason being that the massive backlash against him in that case from his own party would have been so great, that it would have drowned out any message he had supporting Romney. It would have become all about Bill, instead of Obama and Romney, and probably would end up just energizing Obama's base. Further, I think it would have been seen as unhinged personal animus rather than an endorsement on the merits and that would have undermined its effectiveness as well.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 04:19:13 PM »

This would be the equivalent of someone like Rick Santorum endorsing Obama: It would be more about the endorser than the endorsed. Rather than moving votes, the effect would be that people would wonder if the mental state of the endorser was ok.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 10:33:03 PM »

Clinton endorsing Obama and working hard on his behalf no doubt served to win over at least a few votes and energize the base a bit.  So something comperable would be Reagan not dying/getting Alzheimer's and going out on the campaign trail to stump hard for Mitt.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 07:18:44 PM »

This is the equivalent of Hillary endorsing McCain in 2008... A disaster for Obama that never would have happened.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2015, 07:19:08 PM »

Clinton endorsing Obama and working hard on his behalf no doubt served to win over at least a few votes and energize the base a bit.  So something comperable would be Reagan not dying/getting Alzheimer's and going out on the campaign trail to stump hard for Mitt.
He would be over 100 years old- he was in good shape physically but I seriously doubt he would be doing much at that point.

Yeah, I get that.  I was just trying to draw a Republican parallel to Bill's role as surrogate for Obama
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies