Unmournable Frenchies (reaction to Charlie Hebdo) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 05:53:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Unmournable Frenchies (reaction to Charlie Hebdo) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Unmournable Frenchies (reaction to Charlie Hebdo)  (Read 1242 times)
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: January 25, 2015, 05:07:57 PM »

As a former reader of The eXile, I'm a big fan of John Dolan. I like and agree with this article in general but I thought the accusations of anti-Frenchism were random and not backed up.

I can imagine the same reaction if this happened in Denmark, or England, or even American.

The tumblr leftists don't have a problem with France, they have a problem with White people. Brown people are oppressed and oppressed people can do no wrong in their eyes and when they do do something wrong, it's somehow actually the fault of White people, even when it's White people getting killed.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 05:22:54 PM »

Cole is basically Kanye West. "Hey France, that was a terrible tragedy but drone bombings on the Afghan-Pakistan border are the worst tragedy ever!"
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 05:40:06 PM »

I don't think this is an Anglo or a Francophobic thing so much as 'the far left are being terrible' thing.

It's not only a far-left thing. Somewhat surprisingly, when the Muhammad cartoons scandals of 2006 broke out, the firsts to denounce Charlie Hebdo for their "provocation" were often right-wing politicians, with Chirac leading the charge.

but Chirac wasn't calling them racist after they got killed.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 05:42:27 PM »

I also note that Dolan has the ever-tiresome Anglo cultural cringe of treating 'French “liberté” with sex, language, obscenity, and secularism' as THE COOLEST THING EVER!, and wastes no time in sh**tting all over people like Will Rogers, who is just as legitimate a representative of the English idiomatic tradition as somebody like Françoise Sagan is of the French one. I'm not surprised.

I like the fact that he carve the sugar way away, which make things look reasonable and focus on the what the person say without the sugar coating.

He's not doing that. He's lying.

He's not attacking Will Rogers. When Will Rogers was alive, that was how some people talked. He's attacking people who still talk like Will Rogers, like Jim Hightower and any Democrat who says "folks"

That was actually my favorite part of this article, it was dead on.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 05:53:02 PM »

It was probably a mistake to focus on Cole. There are plenty of people actually saying that the Charlie Hebdo cartoonists are unmornable. Thankfully few of them write for major news sources/websites.

They do unfortunately control most social science programs at universities now.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies