Do you like garlic?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:04:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Do you like garlic?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Love it

Like it

So-so

Dislike it

Hate it

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 66

Author Topic: Do you like garlic?  (Read 2825 times)
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 25, 2015, 06:17:36 PM »

I love garlic. 
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 06:18:21 PM »

Yeah garlic is amazing. I put it in basically everything I cook.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 07:12:30 PM »

It's practically universally required to make good food.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 07:17:03 PM »

Onions and garlic both.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 07:17:45 PM »
« Edited: January 25, 2015, 10:19:31 PM by L.D. Smith, Knight of Appalachia »

Yup (sane and Italian descended), and as you can guess this means I love stopping by Gilroy, CA...Garlic Capital of the World
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 07:32:16 PM »

Garlic is a great tool to enhance a wide range of dishes, and it is easy to use. When I was first cooking for my family, I used it in almost every dish. Now after 30 years of experience, I find that there are some flavor profiles that get buried if garlic takes over the dish. I still use it frequently, but not universally.

Here are two simple dishes that feature garlic that I posted last year.

Why yes, and I did so tonight. Here's the simple dish I prepared if anyone else would like to know.

muon's farfalle pomodoro

Start a pot of water to boil.
Chop 1 ripe tomato into small pieces (think bruscetta size) and use a second if you want more flavor.
Chop 6 basil leaves and mince 1 clove of garlic.
Add 1 lb of farfalle (bow tie) pasta and a teaspoon of salt to the boiling water and stir to loosen the pasta.
Heat 1/4 cup of olive oil in a small pan.
Add the minced garlic and black pepper to the hot oil then stir for about a minute.
Stir the farfalle again to keep it loose.
Add the chopped tomatoes and basil to the hot oil and stir for two minutes, then turn off the heat.
Grate a half cup of parmesan cheese.
Stir the farfalle again, and after 12 minutes (Chicago altitude) remove from the heat.
Drain the pasta and return to the pan.
Add the tomato mix to the pasta and stir with additional salt to taste.
Stir in the grated cheese and serve.

muon, that sounds absolutely amazing.

Do you have any recipes that call for white wine? I have some chardonnay that I'd like to use up but for various reasons don't want to actually drink.

That would probably work well for muon's chicken limone.

Cut a pound of chicken breasts into finger-sized strips (cutlets work well as a starting point).
Spread on a flat easy to clean surface a cup of flour mixed with white pepper and sea salt.
Dredge the chicken strips in the flour.
Lightly saute the chicken in a large pan, turning the pieces and remove just before they would begin to brown (about 2 minutes per side).
Cut a half a sweet onion into small pieces and mince two cloves of garlic.
Saute the onion and garlic in the same large pan.
When the onions have softened (but not caramelized) add a half cup of white wine and the juice of a whole lemon.
Turn down the heat to simmer and return the chicken to the pan.
Add a teaspoon of dried thyme and a teaspoon of capers and cover the pan to steam the chicken for 10 minutes.
Chop a half cup of fresh parsley and add it after the 10 minutes.
Steam for another 2-5 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.

Serve with rice or a small pasta like orzo and preferably a chilled white wine (that you would drink).

BTW this can be converted easily into muon's chicken piccata by using whole cutlets lightly browned, black pepper instead of white, using shallots, green onions and garlic in a butter saute, skipping the thyme, and putting slices of whole lemon on the chicken as it steams (but for about 5 minutes less time since the cutlets were browned in this version).
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 09:52:41 PM »

I use garlic in just about every dish (normal Italian)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 09:56:43 PM »

Haha, I'm of Italian descent, you see.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2015, 10:17:04 PM »

I have functioning tastebuds, so yes.
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2015, 10:49:49 PM »

Yes (not a vampire)
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2015, 11:02:52 PM »

I have overfunctioning tastebuds (or maybe just too many), so no.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2015, 01:26:19 PM »

No, I actually don't like it...I love it!
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2015, 01:40:54 PM »

LOVE IT!  (Normal)
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2015, 03:33:49 PM »

We go through about 3 bulbs per week at my house.  I really like it, but I can only eat a couple of cloves straight up because it starts to give my nose a burning sensation.  If it's cooked in food, then I usually do about five cloves per pound of meat or fish, more for chicken or pork. 
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2015, 04:14:46 PM »

Absolutely love it, although I don't overdo it. It's also very good for you.

I use veggies instead of meat when I make marinara, and garlic is a key ingredient, of course.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2015, 04:49:10 PM »

Of course!!
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2015, 05:13:10 PM »

muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2015, 07:36:47 PM »

You garlic lovers would probably appreciate the soup that this thread inspired me to make tonight.

Thinly slice 3 cloves of garlic and lightly brown them in 1/4 cup of olive oil. Remove and save the garlic but leave the oil in the pan. Fry 4 thin slices of bread in the oil (day old bread works well). Remove the bread when lightly browned on both sides and allow to cool. The bread should have absorbed the oil. When cool, cut the bread into 3/4" squares.

In a pot add 4 cups chicken stock, two teaspoons paprika, 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and fresh ground black pepper. Add the fried bread and bring the broth to a simmer. After simmering 10 minutes, add the reserved toasted garlic. Continue simmering for another 10 minutes.

While the soup is simmering beat 3 eggs until slightly foamy. After the soup is simmered, turn off the heat and add the egg letting it form strands in the soup (stracciatella). Serve hot.

I enjoyed my soup with a cold crisp Cote de Provence rose.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2015, 07:49:58 PM »
« Edited: January 26, 2015, 08:12:43 PM by angus »

You garlic lovers would probably appreciate the soup that this thread inspired me to make tonight.

Thinly slice 3 cloves of garlic and lightly brown them in 1/4 cup of olive oil. Remove and save the garlic but leave the oil in the pan. Fry 4 thin slices of bread in the oil (day old bread works well). Remove the bread when lightly browned on both sides and allow to cool. The bread should have absorbed the oil. When cool, cut the bread into 3/4" squares.

In a pot add 4 cups chicken stock, two teaspoons paprika, 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and fresh ground black pepper. Add the fried bread and bring the broth to a simmer. After simmering 10 minutes, add the reserved toasted garlic. Continue simmering for another 10 minutes.

While the soup is simmering beat 3 eggs until slightly foamy. After the soup is simmered, turn off the heat and add the egg letting it form strands in the soup (stracciatella). Serve hot.

Interesting.  Imperial cooks from the Xia Dynasty discovered a similar recipe about 4000 years ago, sans Côtes de Provence Rosé.  We do something similar, but with thin slices of bean curd instead of thin slices of day-old bread, and with a splash of chinkiang black vinegar instead of chicken stock.  I take mine with room-temperature red wine, but then I take everything with room-temperature red wine.  

I assume garlic featured heavily in tonight's menu.  I didn't cook, as I was stuck in traffic.  My usual 25-minute drive home took over an hour tonight, with the snow and slow traffic.  By the time I got home, pork chops, vegetables, seaweed, and rice were already prepared, but I did observe that the garlic supply in the garlic basket appeared to be about an inch shorter than it was this morning, and all the dishes tasted garlicky.  Garlic is really a staple food in our house, and we never let ourselves run out of it.  That said, I'm the only one in the house who actually eats it by the clove raw.

This is where you really miss opebo.  You have to admit it, muon, that one of his redeeming qualities was his ability to describe the textures and tastes of his meals in ways astonishingly sensual.  One could almost smell (and taste!) the foods he was eating as he described them.

traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2015, 07:58:43 PM »

Ooooo.  I am going to have to bookmark this post for future reference.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2015, 02:23:01 AM »

Garlic is wonderful. I try to put it in as many dishes as I can.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2015, 04:42:01 AM »

Love it - as well as any other foods that are stinky, pungent or that make one's breath repulsive (perhaps this is why the Atlas Forum has difficulty getting laid? Wink ).
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2015, 10:40:25 AM »

I have a hunch that factors other than garlic breath may better explain that phenomenon.

Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2015, 11:30:57 AM »

I use garlic powder in most of the things I cook.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2015, 08:12:36 AM »

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies