Should I change my avatar?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:02:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Should I change my avatar?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Which avatar should I choose?
I-KS
I-MO
D-MO
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Should I change my avatar?  (Read 3895 times)
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2015, 05:40:39 PM »

Go with whatever you identify with. We could use a some more D-KS, though. Smiley
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2015, 06:04:16 PM »

Is there some sort of KS/MO rivalry I was unaware of? A holdover from the John Brown days?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2015, 06:06:47 PM »

Is there some sort of KS/MO rivalry I was unaware of? A holdover from the John Brown days?

Basically, people who live in KC hate Kansas because everybody thinks KC is in Kansas and they're tired of correcting them, and people who live in Kansas hate KC because it isn't in Kansas despite the name.

I'm sure J-Mann will back up all of the facts I have presented here.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2015, 06:30:11 PM »

Is there some sort of KS/MO rivalry I was unaware of?

Yes.

A holdover from the John Brown days?

...Yes.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2015, 06:37:25 PM »

Jesse, go commando like angus and I do.  You don't fit into any mold, young friend.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2015, 06:59:32 PM »

D-MO, just like Opebo, wifikitten, KCDem and semocrat08.
Panda Express

« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2015, 07:06:03 PM »

It really is dumb for Kansas City to be called Kansas City. Why not rename it Missouri City? Or literally anything else? Nobody is going to take that city seriously unless the name gets changed.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2015, 07:13:11 PM »

Well, there are two Kansas Cities ... KCK and KCMO. The Missouri side is what everyone knows of as Kansas City, though.

And the overall rivalry / dislike does go back 150 years ... rather meaningless but sort of built into our subconscious. I feel very similarly about Oklahomans. The IQ drop is quite noticeable when you cross the border; different breeds of cat, those Okies.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2015, 07:31:56 PM »

Well, there are two Kansas Cities ... KCK and KCMO. The Missouri side is what everyone knows of as Kansas City, though.

And the overall rivalry / dislike does go back 150 years ... rather meaningless but sort of built into our subconscious. I feel very similarly about Oklahomans. The IQ drop is quite noticeable when you cross the border; different breeds of cat, those Okies.

I'm going to pretend I didn't see this...
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2015, 07:41:16 PM »

I see you changed your avatar and finally switched out of a party full of people who look down upon your state, culture and beliefs! Smiley
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2015, 07:54:09 PM »

Definitely opinion, though I remember a trip from my youth that shaped this view. I'd grown up around Kansans my entire life and knew the general expectations of behavior in social situations, places of business, etc. In other words, how people behaved and interacted.

We crossed the border into Oklahoma and stopped at a Dairy Queen. No Dairy Queen is going to be an intellectual haven, but I remember everyone who worked there being so damn dumb. Like, drooling-on-themselves, don't-know-how-to-string-together-words-to-form-sentences dumb. I remember Asking my aunt and uncle, "Did something happen? Everyone just seems stupid all of the sudden!"

That was an isolated instance that has formed a very subjective view of the state as a whole, and look at Kansas -- they've elected the likes of Sam Brownback and Tim Huelskamp twice!

However, statistics may back up my gut: http://www.thestreet.mobi/story/12712489/1/the-10-dumbest-states-in-america.html
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2015, 08:04:01 PM »

J-Mann, you're hardly breaking any news to us that Oklahoma is full of stupids.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2015, 09:12:20 PM »
« Edited: January 26, 2015, 09:14:46 PM by Harry »

Only the 3rd dumbest? I'll take it! Cheesy

Although obviously Mississippi's average IQ isn't 10 points below Massachusetts's. That "fact" shreds the credibility of the whole list.

ETA: I'm also pretty skeptical that Mississippi's average SAT score is 100 points HIGHER than Massachusetts's average, but at least that one could theoretically be true if only a small, smart subset of Mississippians take it while virtually all Massachusites do.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2015, 11:21:08 PM »

J-Mann, you're hardly breaking any news to us that Oklahoma is full of stupids.

Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2015, 11:49:00 PM »

You should stick with what you have. I live in VA and work on campaigns here but I love NM too much to not have it has my as my avatar.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2015, 02:11:22 AM »

The association for me between J-Mann and I-KS is too strong. Anything else would feel wrong.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2015, 11:30:59 AM »

The association for me between J-Mann and I-KS is too strong. Anything else would feel wrong.

Having a Missouri avatar would take an adjustment for me, too. Someone mentioned that I-MO is considered "iconic" and I may be overshadowed ... I don't remember any I-MO posters, though. Who wore that avatar?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2015, 01:52:45 PM »

Having a Missouri avatar would take an adjustment for me, too. Someone mentioned that I-MO is considered "iconic" and I may be overshadowed ... I don't remember any I-MO posters, though. Who wore that avatar?

Spiral has I-MO. In the more distant past, I think Jamespol's "jesmo" persona had that avatar (which stayed around for surprisingly long despite how incredibly obvious he was; I guess that's pre-Modadmin Atlas for you). I don't see it as being terribly iconic, all due respect to my buddy Spiral.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2015, 02:31:06 PM »

Alright -- D-MO won with 51 percent of the vote. We'll try it out.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2015, 02:35:46 PM »

We have found the Great Successor
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to: