Clinton aides already talking about VP options
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:20:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Clinton aides already talking about VP options
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Clinton aides already talking about VP options  (Read 9020 times)
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2015, 07:30:13 PM »

Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2015, 07:51:04 PM »

I honestly doubt she'd want someone from the Obama cabinet, because Obama. Castro might be an exception though.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2015, 08:05:24 PM »

The VP nominee will be someone nobody is currently discussing.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2015, 08:15:43 PM »

Interesting. Who are you thinking?
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2015, 08:41:02 PM »

henster
YaBB God

« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2015, 08:49:39 PM »

What does he bring to the ticket? He's white and from a safe state I don't see why Clinton would pick him in any case.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2015, 09:00:54 PM »

What does he bring to the ticket? He's white and from a safe state I don't see why Clinton would pick him in any case.

[Going to copy Mister Mets' sound defense of a Schatz VP pick]

He's a white guy in an interracial marriage (his wife is Asian.)

He's young and liberal, which can help with the base.

His record is just long enough that he doesn't appear too inexperienced, but there isn't anything distracting that would scare centrist voters.

A Lieutenant Governor appointed to the Senate, he knows when to be the running mate and when to be the mainattraction.

He was Chair of a Senate Subcommittee on Communications, Technology, and the Internet, which helps establish him as a policy expert on something important and modern.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2015, 09:04:43 PM »

I'd say Kaine or Booker would both be good choices. She won't pick Bennet, since he's up for re-election, and contrary to everyone here who seems to think that CO will be Safe R in the presidential election, I think Hillary could win CO without Bennet on the ticket (she could also win Virginia without Kaine on the ticket, but that's certainly not why she would pick Kaine.)
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2015, 10:12:00 PM »

Booker would be pretty solid, and I think a few years as VP would be a great way to groom him to run in 2024, 2028, or even 2020 if need be.  He's likeable, still young, has executive and legislative experience, bipartisan credentials.

Clinton really doesn't need to shore up liberal support, but to really tap into the populist vote I think a Clinton/Warren ticket would be unstoppable.  I feel like she'd also destroy almost anyone in a debate
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2015, 04:53:40 AM »

Someone with significant experience in multiple capacities. Someone scandal-free. Someone who isn't prone to screw up in front of the camera, or in front of a journalist. Doesn't have to be overly charismatic, but some likeability is desirable. Because the top of the ticket would be a woman, a white male would probably scare fewer people off.

Tim Kaine it is.

Plus, knows how to run the party into the ground with being DNC chair for a 63 seat loss in the House.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2015, 09:02:46 AM »

I honestly doubt she'd want someone from the Obama cabinet, because Obama. Castro might be an exception though.

Yes, Castro is only in Obama's Cabinet because they're grooming him for some kind of future office.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2015, 01:49:37 PM »

I'm betting Schatz, Beshear, Booker, or Kaine, with my ultimate pick being Kaine.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2015, 02:28:27 PM »

I would probably start from Booker, Castro, Schatz, Tester/Bullock, Kaine/Warner/McAuliffe, and Bennet/Hickenlooper

Booker

Major Advantage: appeal to the black vote
Major Disadvantage: as others have pointed out, he's single.  Gay rumors aside, who could a sitting VP date without a scandal?

Castro

Major Advantage: appeal to the Hispanic vote
Major Disadvantage: lack of experience, highest elected office was mayor

Schatz

Major Advantage: young, progressive and charismatic, LG and legislative experience
Major Disadvantage: white male from safest Dem state in the country

Tester

Major Advantage: Populist Dem with repeated statewide success in a McCain state
Major Disadvantage: not young, possibly too moderate for base, difficult to hold seat

Bullock

Major Advantage: won running against Citizens United in McCain state
Major Disadvantage: John Walsh appointment scandal

Bennet

Major Advantage: young, charismatic, outsider status, from swing state
Major Disadvantage: up in 2016 in swing state, lack of religious affiliation

Hickenlooper

Major Advantage: popular governor of swing state, arguable outsider status
Major Disadvantage: not young, gun rights backlash

Kaine

Major Advantage: elected governor and senator in swing state by wide margins, relatively young
Major Disadvantage: early Obama 2008 supporter, could be too boring

Warner

Major Advantage: governor and senator in a swing state, including a 2:1 win in 2008
Major Disadvantage: nearly lost his swing state to Some Rich Dude in 2014 for lack of effort

McAuliffe

Major Advantage: close personal friend of the Clintons, fundraising prowess
Major Disadvantage: very sketchy business dealings and personality

For me, it would be between Kaine, Hickenlooper and Tester.  I wonder why the latter two, particularly Hickenlooper, are mentioned so infrequently?  Hillary is going to have to campaign nationally as pro-gun control, so I don't really see the drawback there.  Also, Hickenlooper wouldn't create a GOP senate pickup opportunity if they do win.
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2015, 03:30:15 PM »

I've thought for awhile that Bennet would probably be her best bet (young and comes from a state/region that she may struggle with). But as others have already said, the fact that he'll likely be in an at least semi-competitive re-election race makes him unlikely to be picked. Barring him, Kaine makes sense.

I do think she would do well to pick someone who could bring some populist credentials to the ticket. Which could be an opening for somebody like Merkley or Schatz.

I'd be surprised if she picked anybody other than a white guy since I think she'll try and make up the ground Obama lost with white voters. 
Senate Minority Leader Lord Voldemort
Joshua
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: -5.91

« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2015, 04:23:15 PM »

I'm betting Schatz, Beshear, Booker, or Kaine, with my ultimate pick being Kaine.

Huh?
RodPresident
Brazil

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -3.30

« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2015, 05:04:18 PM »

Another thing that we can think is about of Hillary choosing another female, but young enough to be seen as VP. This can be Maggie Hassan, Heitkamp, Klobuchar, McCaskill or Baldwin would be options.
Angel of Death
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2015, 08:06:04 PM »

Seems like a pathetic attempt to get Colleen Hanabusa that Senate seat.
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2015, 08:42:16 PM »

I've heard Martin Heinrich's name tossed around in the past. He's young, he's been in the Senate since 2013 (with 4 years in the House), and he might put some anti-NSA people at ease.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2015, 12:02:50 AM »

Huh?

Steve Beshear, Governor of Kentucky, and ardent advocate of the Affordable Care Act. He's term limited. I imagine if the Clintons decided to try to rebuild the Democratic Party's strength among white voters Beshear is one route.
Senate Minority Leader Lord Voldemort
Joshua
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: -5.91

« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2015, 12:37:46 AM »

Huh?

Steve Beshear, Governor of Kentucky, and ardent advocate of the Affordable Care Act. He's term limited. I imagine if the Clintons decided to try to rebuild the Democratic Party's strength among white voters Beshear is one route.

It was just the fact that he's 70 and would be 72 on election/inauguration day. If he was 20 or even 10 years younger he would have been prime.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2015, 02:10:25 AM »

Another thing that we can think is about of Hillary choosing another female, but young enough to be seen as VP. This can be Maggie Hassan, Heitkamp, Klobuchar, McCaskill or Baldwin would be options.

Hassan and Klobuchar, yes. Picking Baldwin is risky as she's very liberal and may alienate swing voters.

McCaskill and Heitkamp are outright NO's for the clinton vetting team for one simple reason: Without them, their senate seat flips.
Panda Express

« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2015, 02:22:16 AM »

Bennet.  - Mike Coffman would make it Leans R; Cynthia Coffman, Scott Tipton, or Scott Gessler would make it a Toss-Up.

Coffman makes it Lean R? Nope. Maybe tossup.

Not to mention that if the republicans put up someone 'strong' for the seat (Faucolner, Issa, Valadao, Swearingen), they might be able to attack Harris over it bad enough to make the senate race competitive enough where democrats end up throwing some money there that should be going to some other race.

Nope. Wrong again. You aren't doing so well in this topic - you're batting 0 for 2.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2015, 02:37:21 AM »

Bennet.  - Mike Coffman would make it Leans R; Cynthia Coffman, Scott Tipton, or Scott Gessler would make it a Toss-Up.

Not to mention that if the republicans put up someone 'strong' for the seat (Faucolner, Issa, Valadao, Swearingen), they might be able to attack Harris over it bad enough to make the senate race competitive enough where democrats end up throwing some money there that should be going to some other race.

Nope. Wrong again. You aren't doing so well in this topic - you're batting 0 for 2.

1. Bennet is nowhere near popular in Colorado, and Coffman just won reelection by 9 points against a very strong challenger, significantly outperforming Gardner in his district. He also won narrowly in 2012 despite Obama winning his district 52-47. He has real crossover support in his district, and I fail to see why you think Bennett, who wouldn't be in the senate if Republicans hadn't nominated a nutjob last time around, would possibly start with an edge over Coffman.

2. Considering the democrats spent money in the OREGON and MICHIGAN senate races last cycle (actually true) even though they ended up being nowhere near competitive, I won't be surprised if they do throw money at California if the republicans put up someone who can poll within 10 points or so, which the four candidates I mentioned can definitely do.

Panda Express

« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2015, 05:57:35 AM »

1. Bennet is nowhere near popular in Colorado, and Coffman just won reelection by 9 points against a very strong challenger, significantly outperforming Gardner in his district. He also won narrowly in 2012 despite Obama winning his district 52-47. He has real crossover support in his district, and I fail to see why you think Bennett, who wouldn't be in the senate if Republicans hadn't nominated a nutjob last time around, would possibly start with an edge over Coffman.

2. Considering the democrats spent money in the OREGON and MICHIGAN senate races last cycle (actually true) even though they ended up being nowhere near competitive, I won't be surprised if they do throw money at California if the republicans put up someone who can poll within 10 points or so, which the four candidates I mentioned can definitely do.

No, wrong again. That's not how politics works. You're now batting 0-3. Not even the Arizona Diamondbacks would take you at this point.
dmmidmi
dmwestmi
United States

« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2015, 08:45:42 AM »

No, wrong again. That's not how politics works. You're now batting 0-3. Not even the Arizona Diamondbacks would take you at this point.

Ouch.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies