Clinton aides already talking about VP options
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:03:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Clinton aides already talking about VP options
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Clinton aides already talking about VP options  (Read 9032 times)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2015, 08:54:36 AM »

I think Heinrich or Julian Castro or Tim Kaine will be picked to be the VP candidate, Michael Bennett wouldn't be ideal, because he is running for reelection.

But Clinton doesn't need a heavyweight as a VP candidate anyways, she has Bill and he knows how to win, and it would just compliment her.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2015, 11:59:37 AM »

Bennet.  - Mike Coffman would make it Leans R; Cynthia Coffman, Scott Tipton, or Scott Gessler would make it a Toss-Up.

Coffman makes it Lean R? Nope. Maybe tossup.

Not to mention that if the republicans put up someone 'strong' for the seat (Faucolner, Issa, Valadao, Swearingen), they might be able to attack Harris over it bad enough to make the senate race competitive enough where democrats end up throwing some money there that should be going to some other race.

Nope. Wrong again. You aren't doing so well in this topic - you're batting 0 for 2.

1. Bennet is nowhere near popular in Colorado, and Coffman just won reelection by 9 points against a very strong challenger, significantly outperforming Gardner in his district. He also won narrowly in 2012 despite Obama winning his district 52-47. He has real crossover support in his district, and I fail to see why you think Bennett, who wouldn't be in the senate if Republicans hadn't nominated a nutjob last time around, would possibly start with an edge over Coffman.

2. Considering the democrats spent money in the OREGON and MICHIGAN senate races last cycle (actually true) even though they ended up being nowhere near competitive, I won't be surprised if they do throw money at California if the republicans put up someone who can poll within 10 points or so, which the four candidates I mentioned can definitely do.

No, wrong again. That's not how politics works. You're now batting 0-3. Not even the Arizona Diamondbacks would take you at this point.
If you think I'm wrong, then offer counterarguments. If all you're going to do is sit there and yell 'wrong' and attack me, then there's no need for you to post.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2015, 12:45:18 PM »

Bennet.  - Mike Coffman would make it Leans R; Cynthia Coffman, Scott Tipton, or Scott Gessler would make it a Toss-Up.

Coffman makes it Lean R? Nope. Maybe tossup.

Not to mention that if the republicans put up someone 'strong' for the seat (Faucolner, Issa, Valadao, Swearingen), they might be able to attack Harris over it bad enough to make the senate race competitive enough where democrats end up throwing some money there that should be going to some other race.

Nope. Wrong again. You aren't doing so well in this topic - you're batting 0 for 2.

1. Bennet is nowhere near popular in Colorado, and Coffman just won reelection by 9 points against a very strong challenger, significantly outperforming Gardner in his district. He also won narrowly in 2012 despite Obama winning his district 52-47. He has real crossover support in his district, and I fail to see why you think Bennett, who wouldn't be in the senate if Republicans hadn't nominated a nutjob last time around, would possibly start with an edge over Coffman.

2. Considering the democrats spent money in the OREGON and MICHIGAN senate races last cycle (actually true) even though they ended up being nowhere near competitive, I won't be surprised if they do throw money at California if the republicans put up someone who can poll within 10 points or so, which the four candidates I mentioned can definitely do.

The midterm electorates are more favorable to Republicans, so unless there's a disaster, 2016 is probably going to better for Democrats.

While Ken Buck was a flawed candidate for Republicans, he's not a complete nutjob. He was elected to Congress later, and was designated the freshman class President by the US House.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/thespot/2014/11/13/ken-bucks-freshman-class-president/115220/

I'm sure Republicans will run against Bennet, but several of his 2010 problems won't apply. Historically, appointed Senators do poorly, so he's better-positioned now that he has won an election. Then there's the 2016 electorate. There is an open question of what turnout wll be like without Obama on the ticket, although we also don't know what the political environment will be like in Colorado when Hillary makes her decision for Veep. If Bennet is leading a no-name Republican by twelve points, the calculus is different than if the race were tied and Republicans nominated a top-tier contender.
PresidentTRUMP
2016election

« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2015, 02:50:48 PM »

I think Heinrich or Julian Castro or Tim Kaine will be picked to be the VP candidate, Michael Bennett wouldn't be ideal, because he is running for reelection.

But Clinton doesn't need a heavyweight as a VP candidate anyways, she has Bill and he knows how to win, and it would just compliment her.

Really?!?! Where was he in 2008 when she lost the primary to a one term senator? Guess he wasn't around.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2015, 02:53:50 PM »

Really?!?! Where was he in 2008 when she lost the primary to a one term senator? Guess he wasn't around.
This time, Clinton's team plans to use Bill on the trail.

If 2014 is any indication, Bill won't be much help though...
PresidentTRUMP
2016election

« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2015, 02:58:36 PM »

If Bill Clinton is a big part of the plan to help her win, shes in BIG trouble...all im going to say about that...
bobloblaw
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2015, 06:16:56 PM »

Kamala Harris for VP? Cheesy

A Clinton/Harris ticket would make my fiancι's head explode.

Amazing. Nearly all the VP candidates mentioned are unqualified. Much worse choices than Quayle or Palin. Kamala Harris?Huh Has ther been a less qualfied VP??? Ok, Admiral Stockdale.

The problem for Hillary will be is she chooses a Superstar, the VP candidate outshines the Presidential candidate.
bobloblaw
« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2015, 06:19:19 PM »

Until all the corruption in Newark comes to light.

With the exception of Kaine, theses are all horrible choices that will bite Hil in the @ss when they screw up on camera.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2015, 06:27:36 PM »

Seriously, Martin Heinrich is the perfect choice for her.

• Young white male
• From western state with huge Latino population
• Will have 8 years in congress (4 in house, 4 in Senate)
• Bland enough to play second fiddle, but not too much to be un excited about
"'Oeps!' De blunders van Rick Perry Indicted"
DarthNader

« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2015, 06:37:48 PM »

• Young white male

Very similar to Al Gore 1992 (I think he had 8 years each House/Senate).
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2015, 07:37:21 PM »

Ι remember Bill doing pretty good in 2012.

• Young white male

Except the fact that if he becomes VP then Martinez will appoint a Republican to his seat.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2015, 08:11:25 PM »

Ι remember Bill doing pretty good in 2012.

• Young white male

Except the fact that if he becomes VP then Martinez will appoint a Republican to his seat.
Unless Martinez appoints herself or Heather Wilson, the democrats will likely win it back in 2018.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2015, 08:32:28 PM »

Brian Schatz is a white male, but he's also Jewish.  So he does have the 'minority thing' covered.

Other possibles not previously mentioned
1.Martin O'Malley if he runs well
2.Jack Merkl
3.Tom Vilsack
4.Elizabeth Warren
5.Maggie Hassan
6.John Lynch
7.Anthony Foxx
8.Sherrod Brown
9.Jack Reed
10.James Webb if he runs well
11.Gary Locke
12.Kirsten Gillibrand
13.Maria Cantwell
14.Sally Jewell
15.Sylvia Burwell
16.Ken Salazar
17.Janet Napolitano
18.Jeh Johnson
19.John Kerry for the ultimate ticket.
moderatevoter
ModerateVAVoter

« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2015, 09:00:47 PM »

Brian Schatz is a white male, but he's also Jewish.  So he does have the 'minority thing' covered.

According to his Wikipedia page, Heinrich is Lutheran.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #64 on: January 28, 2015, 09:50:46 PM »

Schatz is also married to an Asian, so that could also help with the minority vote and max out the Asian vote.
bobloblaw
« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2015, 10:30:05 PM »

""The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.""

The modern day liberal thinks that selfishness can be legislated out of existenance.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2015, 12:08:53 AM »

Other possibles not previously mentioned
1.Martin O'Malley if he runs well
2.Jack Merkl
3.Tom Vilsack
4.Elizabeth Warren
5.Maggie Hassan
6.John Lynch
7.Anthony Foxx
8.Sherrod Brown
9.Jack Reed
10.James Webb if he runs well
11.Gary Locke
12.Kirsten Gillibrand
13.Maria Cantwell
14.Sally Jewell
15.Sylvia Burwell
16.Ken Salazar
17.Janet Napolitano
18.Jeh Johnson
19.John Kerry for the ultimate ticket.
Considering that Jews are overrepresented in the Congress, I'm not sure they count as minorities.

As for your picks.

O'Malley's bland, but if he runs a solid campaign, he'd be a relatively safe choice.
Vilsack will be an elderly guy who also served in the Obama administration. I really don't see Hillary picking anyone elderly without extraordinary circumstances. That'll exclude Jack Reed as well.
Warren doesn't seem interested in national office, and doesn't add anything demographically (Northeastern elderly woman) although it's plausible that they'll add an advocate for populist policies. It would be a major risk.
Democrats want Hassan to run for Senate in New Hampshire, and her qualifications aren't that impressive. If she picks a woman, it would likely be someone impressive in soem way.
John Lynch is a bit old, but an immensely popular former Governor isn't the worst pick.
Foxx is plausible.
Brown would be great if he were ten years younger. It would be a ticket of people who have been in politics for decades which has some negatives.
Webb's gone pretty negative against Clinton, and might not have the ideal family life (twice-divorced with a much younger third wife.) He's also pretty old.
Jewell and Burwell haven't face elections.
Jeh Johnson has a strong defense record, but that's an area where Hillary's strong. He could help with African American turnout, and seems qualified. He is a New York trial lawyer though.
Kerry doesn't add anything to the ticket, and is an elderly guy with plenty of baggage.

I have no idea who Jack Merkl is.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2015, 12:11:58 AM »

Jewell can't succeed because she is naturalized, so she wouldn't be picked for VP.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2015, 03:59:12 PM »

I meant Jack Markell the governor of Delaware.
oeoyeleye
Rookie

« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2015, 06:13:25 PM »

I really hope that Hillary Clinton and the people around her have learned their lesson and will not treat the primary as light stretching before the real race, the general election.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #70 on: January 30, 2015, 10:14:35 PM »

Apparently Colorado law prevents Bennet from running for Senate and Vice President at the same time:

http://blogs.denverpost.com/thespot/2015/01/30/colorado-sen-michael-bennet-vice-president/116873/
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #71 on: January 30, 2015, 10:18:16 PM »

It'll come down to Kaine or Heinrich, me thinks.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #72 on: January 30, 2015, 11:26:41 PM »

Ray Mabus is the ideal pick.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #73 on: January 30, 2015, 11:58:18 PM »
« Edited: January 31, 2015, 12:03:44 AM by PR »

A Clinton-Kaine ticket is the best bet. Classic southerner, safe, won't embarass the ticket.

Gross.

EDIT: After two solid presidential election victories by a Hawaiian born-and-raised, son of a black Kenyan father and a white Kansan mother, who had an Irish Catholic running mate from the Northeast who has a reputation for being "embarassing"/gaffe-prone, I'd like to think that the increasingly diverse presidential election-year electorate is largely past its fascination with "safe" white Southern male Democrats.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies