As inequality soars, the nervous super rich are already planning their escapes
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:53:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  As inequality soars, the nervous super rich are already planning their escapes
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: As inequality soars, the nervous super rich are already planning their escapes  (Read 6031 times)
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 26, 2015, 02:44:10 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 02:45:28 PM »

Wonderful news!
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 02:55:59 PM »

Fitting that they are running to Mordor.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 02:56:27 PM »

I'm disappointed this article wasn't titled "Trickle Down Under."
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 04:47:55 PM »

They can run, but they can't hide. They'll get theirs just like every other parasitic class has in the past.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 04:51:47 PM »

They can run, but they can't hide. They'll get theirs just like every other parasitic class has in the past.

How naively optimistic of you. If history teaches us something, it's that most parasites get away with their misdeeds and live happily ever after. A few chopped heads might make you feel better, but doesn't change the big picture.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 04:52:58 PM »

I didn't realize I was reading dailykos.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 04:59:08 PM »

Fitting that they are running to Mordor.

Of course they are running; one does not simply walk into Mordor.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 05:04:46 PM »

How naively optimistic of you. If history teaches us something, it's that most parasites get away with their misdeeds and live happily ever after. A few chopped heads might make you feel better, but doesn't change the big picture.

Last I checked feudalism is more or less nonexistent in 2015, as is slavery and other classical forms of exploitative class society, so I'd argue that history teaches us otherwise. The funny thing about history, though, is that it's something made by human activity and the interaction of human beings with their environment, and as such, we cannot be guaranteed what has happened in the past will happen in the future. Nevertheless, I am optimistic for the future. I believe that one day we will see the collapse of this whole rotten structure and real democracy erected in its place. If that's naive, so be it. But I'd argue that what is far more naive is the expectation that change either won't happen or can only happen through piecemeal reform, or that anything meaningful will be achieved via the route of compromise with the enemies of human liberty.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 05:23:34 PM »

You never know when the murder-fetishists will have a few lucky days. Sure, they usually wind up killing a lot of people, running the country into the ground, and ending with everyone equally miserable, but they get their bread and circuses first. So good for these people planning for the eventuality and having an escape route to make sure their children don't get shot in their beds one night.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2015, 05:45:20 PM »

You never know when the murder-fetishists will have a few lucky days. Sure, they usually wind up killing a lot of people, running the country into the ground, and ending with everyone equally miserable, but they get their bread and circuses first. So good for these people planning for the eventuality and having an escape route to make sure their children don't get shot in their beds one night.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2015, 05:47:16 PM »

I don't even think dailykos is this militantly Marxist. You'd think after the massive genocide wrought by Marxism in the 20th Century that you wouldn't still have people salivating at the prospects of systematic murder.

But muh ... he has more monies than me, that makes him rich ... kill him and take his monies for "teh people". Iz social justice to kill people who has more than me and take their stuff because #fair-share #we are the 99% #class war #privilege #all corporations are evil #anti-semitism.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2015, 05:49:57 PM »

They're buying farms!  Just like a parasite to want to farm.  For the sake of humanity, let's hope they never get the chance.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2015, 05:54:16 PM »

But I'd argue that what is far more naive is the expectation ... that anything meaningful will be achieved via the route of compromise with the enemies of human liberty.

I'm guessing in your analysis, the "enemies of human liberty" are not the ones advocating for the wholesale murder of an entire class of people and subsequent looting of their estates, right?
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2015, 06:02:52 PM »

I don't even think dailykos is this militantly Marxist. You'd think after the massive genocide wrought by Marxism in the 20th Century that you wouldn't still have people salivating at the prospects of systematic murder.

But muh ... he has more monies than me, that makes him rich ... kill him and take his monies for "teh people". Iz social justice to kill people who has more than me and take their stuff because #fair-share #we are the 99% #class war #privilege #all corporations are evil #anti-semitism.
You're using hashtags wrong
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2015, 06:20:11 PM »

Well it's great for the super-rich and all, but the vast majority of people cannot "buy an escape route" any more they can move to the moon.

Inequality should disturb everyone because it breeds instability and violence. If the established rich had their heads screwed on correctly they would find a way to correct this flaw within society, because an outbreak of violence would not benefit them.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2015, 06:25:31 PM »

Last I checked feudalism is more or less nonexistent in 2015, as is slavery and other classical forms of exploitative class society, so I'd argue that history teaches us otherwise.

Most of the heirs of feudal lords and slaveowners are now part of the "capitalist class", you know? The system did change, but the people who benefited from it didn't suffer that heavily.

Very true.

This sounds like a quasi-religious belief in a return to the "promised land" or to some kind of heaven on earth, and it's the biggest issue I have with the radical left. No, we will never reach this utopian state you describe. What we can do is try and get closer and closer to it. And it's no small feat! It does make a big difference in making society fairer, it has done so in the past and it can still do so in the future.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2015, 06:27:26 PM »

You never know when the murder-fetishists will have a few lucky days. Sure, they usually wind up killing a lot of people, running the country into the ground, and ending with everyone equally miserable, but they get their bread and circuses first.

Yes, yes, the owning classes (or "murder fetishists" as you call them) truly are terrible.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2015, 06:30:24 PM »

You never know when the murder-fetishists will have a few lucky days. Sure, they usually wind up killing a lot of people, running the country into the ground, and ending with everyone equally miserable, but they get their bread and circuses first.

Yes, yes, the owning classes (or "murder fetishists" as you call them) truly are terrible.

Posted by a lawyer Roll Eyes
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2015, 06:31:37 PM »

Yes, well, thank you from this dispatch from the Berkeley student group that isn't allowed to meet on campus anymore.
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -10.00

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2015, 06:34:14 PM »

You're using hashtags wrong
Yes, that's the only problem.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2015, 09:08:58 PM »

Let them run! 

My less violent idea of revolution includes compassion, empathy, and forgiveness for the owning class.  They need their power and much of their money stripped away, but otherwise should continue as members of society, hopefully finding ways to use their skills and knowledge to the betterment of others.  Otherwise we just become retributive and abuses arise.

These can be achieved in a peaceful, but assertive manner.  Things like non-violent civil disobedience always garner my sympathy immensely.  That takes bald faced courage because you don't have violence to defend you.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2015, 06:40:44 PM »

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2015, 06:41:49 PM »

H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2015, 06:43:09 PM »

Lol @ the 1%ers actually afraid of revolution.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies