FL: Grayson, DWS (among others) looking at Rubio's seat
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:01:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  FL: Grayson, DWS (among others) looking at Rubio's seat
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: FL: Grayson, DWS (among others) looking at Rubio's seat  (Read 7226 times)
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 26, 2015, 06:46:37 PM »

Article.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Plz Murphy or Graham...
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 06:59:44 PM »

Grayson and DWS will lose. Both are too partisan and are only in congress because their districts were drawn specifically for them.

It's not as if Mr. Rubio is terribly unpopular, or scandal-ridden, or anything of the sort. Democrats need Murphy or Graham to win, and that's a fact. (Heck, I'd be willing to vote for either one, as they're both in the more conservative side of the democratic party, and Rubio's hardly some moderate stalwart and is willing to flip-flop solely for political gain.)

Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 12:07:05 AM »

I could see Florida dems not even contesting this race. Murphy appears to be angling for the 2018 gubernatorial race and Graham is only a first term congresswoman in a district that will flip without her.

Maybe Castor? DWS and Grayson would just result in a complete blowout.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 12:27:27 AM »

Florida Democrats - please run Alan Grayson!
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 12:29:13 AM »

The only candidate I'll support is Murphy, Grayson has no chance of winning (although he's certainly great, would probably be better if he stayed in the house), DWS is an opportunistic loser (the worst candidates I've ever seen from the Democrats were in 2014), Graham is only in her first term, and nobody has heard of the other three potential candidates.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 01:03:36 AM »

I would totally support Grayson, but as others have said, he's not electable in a statewide race. I think Murphy is the best chance the Dems have of making a pickup.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 01:54:12 AM »

I would support DWS if she runs, but I would prefer to see her jump to a leadership spot in the House. The current House leadership is just way too old.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 04:13:35 AM »

I would support DWS if she runs, but I would prefer to see her jump to a leadership spot in the House. The current House leadership is just way too old.

So she can replace Pelosi?

God help me.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 07:12:54 AM »

That's good. Run them, Florida Dems!
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 09:24:03 AM »

Grayson and DWS will lose. Both are too partisan and are only in congress because their districts were drawn specifically for them.

It's not as if Mr. Rubio is terribly unpopular, or scandal-ridden, or anything of the sort. Democrats need Murphy or Graham to win, and that's a fact. (Heck, I'd be willing to vote for either one, as they're both in the more conservative side of the democratic party, and Rubio's hardly some moderate stalwart and is willing to flip-flop solely for political gain.)

Grayson's district was actually drawn as a Puerto Rican opportunity district. Whenever he retires he will probably be replaced by a Puerto Rican Democrat.

Love Grayson, not a DWS fan, but neither should run. Murphy would be the best for the Dems.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2015, 10:30:53 AM »

I'm sure the Domestic Abuse charges on Grayson will be drudged up if he runs for Senate.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2015, 11:41:16 AM »

DWS would be the equivalent of a McAuliffe in a statewide run in that she'd horribly underperform what polls would indicate - except that she'd lose by 5 or more. Sorry, but bland neoliberals are not all they're cut out to be in contests like this.

Grayson would lose by 10 or more; ideologically, he's where we need to be but he comes across as too abrasive and creepy-looking (in a mortician kind of way) to win a seat with 50/50 odds or less favorable. He only won at the congressional level in the first place because of the 2008 wave, and only again because it's a brown, Democratic district.

Graham would be viewed as an opportunist and would lose as well - and of course as has already been mentioned, her seat would flip again.

I think to a smaller degree, both of those elements would apply to Murphy as well. He needs to stay where he is through redistricting at the very least. In 2022, he'll only be 39.

The truth of the matter is that FDP doesn't really have a bench for this kind of run at the moment, so we'll probably lose whether it's an open seat or not.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2015, 12:16:19 PM »

No thanks. Murphy please.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2015, 12:17:28 PM »
« Edited: January 27, 2015, 12:30:12 PM by Beet »

Why not? She's young (relatively), a woman, Jewish, a strong progressive, a great fundraiser, is used to being in the minority, is from a big swing state, has a compelling personal story (cancer survivor) and has demonstrated ability to maintain good relations with GOP members of congress as well. A lot of positives, one of the few rising stars of the FDP, not sure why she's disliked here. I could see her providing Democrats with Congressional leadership for the next 20-30 years.

That's like saying "she would be the equivalent of Obama - except that she'd lose." Taking an analogy and changing the most important fact about it doesn't make for a good analogy. FWIW, no one thought McAuliffe was a strong candidate - he barely even lived in Virginia - but he managed to turn out a win in a state that, for decades has always gone for the losing party of the previous presidential election. He basically did just as well as Mark Warner. And he carried a slate of statewide Dems in with him.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2015, 01:02:22 PM »

She doesn't care about winning elections for her party (which is what she's supposed to be doing), she only cares about advancing her own career.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2015, 01:07:46 PM »

She doesn't care about winning elections for her party (which is what she's supposed to be doing), she only cares about advancing her own career.

What does that even mean?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2015, 01:08:40 PM »

I think it would be wonderful if DWS or Grayson were the Democratic nominee.
moderatevoter
ModerateVAVoter

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2015, 01:13:09 PM »

Why not? She's young (relatively), a woman, Jewish, a strong progressive, a great fundraiser, is used to being in the minority, is from a big swing state, has a compelling personal story (cancer survivor) and has demonstrated ability to maintain good relations with GOP members of congress as well. A lot of positives, one of the few rising stars of the FDP, not sure why she's disliked here. I could see her providing Democrats with Congressional leadership for the next 20-30 years.

That's like saying "she would be the equivalent of Obama - except that she'd lose." Taking an analogy and changing the most important fact about it doesn't make for a good analogy. FWIW, no one thought McAuliffe was a strong candidate - he barely even lived in Virginia - but he managed to turn out a win in a state that, for decades has always gone for the losing party of the previous presidential election. He basically did just as well as Mark Warner. And he carried a slate of statewide Dems in with him.

While McAuliffe certainly beat people's expectations, it's important to remember just how much the RPV self-destructed that year and who the RPV nominated.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2015, 01:18:07 PM »

It means that she should never be in a leadership position.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2015, 01:50:59 PM »

It means that she should never be in a leadership position.

I think you missed the meaning of my question.
dmmidmi
dmwestmi
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2015, 02:02:56 PM »

Well, if the Florida Democratic Party is going to lose, they might as well go down in flames.

To hell with it--I'm with it. Nominate a firebrand. It's not like the state party's standing can get any worse. Lose, but be loud when losing.
DS0816
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2015, 05:44:33 PM »

So, a partisan Republican can win a U.S. Senate seat but the same is not true of a partisan Democrat?
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2015, 05:52:59 PM »

So, a partisan Republican can win a U.S. Senate seat but the same is not true of a partisan Democrat?

Yes, because Rubio's good at coming off as more moderate than he is to the uninformed, because of incumbency, because he's not a raging socon, and because FL still has a republican lean, even if only a slight one, outside of presidential elections
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2015, 06:50:47 PM »

Yes, because Rubio's good at coming off as more moderate than he is to the uninformed, because of incumbency, because he's not a raging socon, and because FL still has a republican lean, even if only a slight one, outside of presidential elections

It has a Republican lean in presidential elections, too, in that Obama won it by noticeably less than his national margin both times.
Senate Minority Leader Lord Voldemort
Joshua
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: -5.91

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2015, 07:45:02 PM »

Sherrod Brown and Claire McCaskill have won in purple states when all they do is bash Republicans.

But how did they get there? It took a wave. So it would take either a Patrick Murphy + flawless campaign + Rubio stumble in a neutral environment, or a national wave carrying a generic Dem to get across the finish line for Democrats.

DWS is the worst. She's in it for herself and not the team. I hope she gets primaried in her district, and never runs for Senate.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies