Senate GOP Might Nix Filibuster For SCOTUS Nominees (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:07:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Senate GOP Might Nix Filibuster For SCOTUS Nominees (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Senate GOP Might Nix Filibuster For SCOTUS Nominees  (Read 4364 times)
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« on: January 26, 2015, 07:59:43 PM »

Great!  A broken clock is right twice a day.  Now for the rest of the filibuster.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 08:36:43 PM »

Great!  A broken clock is right twice a day.  Now for the rest of the filibuster.
Do you realize that totally nixing the filibuster allows republicans to enact whatever ultra-conservative policy they want whenever they have the house (which they'll have until at least Jan. 2023 if not even longer) 51 senate seats and the presidency? Even I don't want that.

Of course I do.  But whether a particular policy is right or wrong should not be a reflection of whether it benefits my side.  The filibuster is just as wrong when Democrats have between 50 and 60 votes in the Senate as it is when Republicans have between 50 and 60 votes in the Senate; the idea that all bills should essentially require a supermajority in our upper house is ludicrous.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies