Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 27, 2014, 08:04:41 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Questions and Answers
| |-+  Presidential Election Process
| | |-+  If a GOP governor is elected in Pennsylvania...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: If a GOP governor is elected in Pennsylvania...  (Read 7987 times)
A18
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

View Profile
« on: April 22, 2005, 06:16:08 pm »
Ignore

Will the legislature enact a Maine/Nebraska style CD split for the presidential election of 2008?
Erc
YaBB God
Slovenia

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2005, 07:42:54 pm »
Ignore

Oh no...
Oh God No...
Oh Dear God No...

PA-13 is bad enough as it is with only one measly House seat up for grabs...I shudder at the horrid possibilities if it were to gain an electoral vote of its own...
J. J.
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2005, 09:08:52 pm »
Ignore

They didn't do it before 1996, 2000, or before 2002 for 2004.

While the GOP might lose PA-13; it would definitely win PA-9.  It would be a net plus for the GOP.

J. J.

"Actually, .. now that you mention it...." 
- Londo Molari

"Every government are parliaments of whores.
The trouble is, in a democracy the whores are us." - P. J. O'Rourke

"Wa sala, wa lala."

(Zulu for, "You snooze, you lose.")
DanielX
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

P
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2005, 04:13:19 pm »
Ignore

Will the legislature enact a Maine/Nebraska style CD split for the presidential election of 2008?

Yes. That would be a good thing... unless both parties start gerrymandering like drunken sailors. That might make things interesting... Tongue

Yankee Capitalist Scum!
Max Power
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2005, 04:23:01 pm »
Ignore

That's one thing I don't get. Politicians always talk about partisanship, yet they are bipartisan on gerrymandering. The Gerrymander will never be an endangered species.
nini2287
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

P

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2005, 02:41:07 am »
Ignore

I would probably vote for the amendment even if it cost Democrats EVs in the long run.  It is the right thing to do as it puts power closer to the poeple.

Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2005, 09:48:10 am »
Ignore

I'd only support it if they re-draw the congressional districts; the current ones are disgusting

"I have become entangled in my own data, and my conclusion stands in direct contradiction to the initial idea from which I started. Proceeding from unlimited freedom, I end with unlimited despotism. I will add, however, that there can be no solution of the social formula except mine."
Jake
dubya2004
YaBB God
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2005, 01:41:21 pm »
Ignore

I certainly hope not. A good GOP campaign can win PA, but even if the state popular vote was something like 55-45 GOP, there would be a 6-7 CDs that we couldn't win.
nini2287
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

P

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2005, 02:52:51 pm »
Ignore

I certainly hope not. A good GOP campaign can win PA, but even if the state popular vote was something like 55-45 GOP, there would be a 6-7 CDs that we couldn't win.

If it was 55-45, you'd win everything but PA-1, 2, 13 (probably, because it would probably be a pretty populist-lean Republican) and 14.

TexasPatriot2024
TexasPatriot

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2005, 10:01:04 pm »
Ignore

I'd only support it if they re-draw the congressional districts; the current ones are disgusting

Haha.... they tried that here in Texas. Maybe you remember our Democrat representitives leaving the state to protest. Thats a messy situation, but quite funny when you come to think of it.

Keystone Phil
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2005, 10:01:19 pm »
Ignore

Oh no...
Oh God No...
Oh Dear God No...

PA-13 is bad enough as it is with only one measly House seat up for grabs...I shudder at the horrid possibilities if it were to gain an electoral vote of its own...

Oh, grow up. No one forces you to read what we say.

If it was an electoral vote of it's own, the only candidates who could win it would be McCain and maybe Romney. It wouldn't attract as much attention as a House race.

And while it was brought up, we probably won't do it.

Jake
dubya2004
YaBB God
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2005, 10:11:30 pm »
Ignore

If it was 55-45, you'd win everything but PA-1, 2, 13 (probably, because it would probably be a pretty populist-lean Republican) and 14.

I'll have to look at the PA-11 results again, but you're right with 4-5.
Gustaf
Moderators
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2005, 02:48:12 pm »
Ignore

Isn't the problem that a state that reduces itself to like 5 EVs (since the rest would be secure for either party) makes itself much less politically relevant? It doesn't matter as much for small states like Maine or Nebraska, but a major battleground like Pennsylvania most likely wouldn't go for it.

I dislike the idea myself because a) it seems to produce less democratic results (it would have increased Bush's margin over Gore and, I think, produced a Ford victory in 1976) and b) it makes the political process even more vulnerable to manipulation (i.e. gerrymandering).

This place really has become a cesspool of degenerate whores...

Economic score: +0.9
Social score: -2.61

In MN for fantasy stuff, member of the most recently dissolved centrist party.
GOP = Terrorists
Progress
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2005, 11:51:08 pm »
Ignore

Yes. That would be a good thing... unless both parties start gerrymandering like drunken sailors. That might make things interesting... Tongue

Bah Penn is already gerrymandered for the GOP.

Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2005, 12:03:31 pm »
Ignore

Either every state needs to do it, or none of them do.

That being said, I do think it would be friggin awesome if the Dem-leaning states did it while GOP-leaning states kept the winner take all EV's Smiley
only back for the worldcup
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2005, 10:58:51 am »
Ignore

Haha.... they tried that here in Texas. Maybe you remember our Democrat representitives leaving the state to protest. Thats a messy situation, but quite funny when you come to think of it.
I suggest you re-draw the congressional districts; the current ones are disgusting.

"The secret to having a rewarding work-life balance is to have no life. Then it's easy to keep things balanced by doing no work." Wally

"Our party do not have any ideology... Our main aim is to grab power ... Every one is doing so but I say it openly." Keshav Dev Maurya
Grad Students are the Worst
Alcon
Moderators
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2005, 10:47:14 pm »
Ignore

WA's congressional districts may not make a lick of sense, but at least they are fair and reasonably competitive.

n/c
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout