State rivalries
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 15, 2024, 11:46:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  State rivalries
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: State rivalries  (Read 2302 times)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 26, 2015, 09:57:14 PM »

What are some disparaging stereotypes you hear about neighboring states or provinces?

Being from Minnesota, we love/hate Wisconsin. 

We think they drink too much and are too vulgar but secretly admire them.  They're crazy partiers. Its Minnesota's sin pit.  We go there to do things considered uncouth in MN...like drinking enormous amounts of cheap liquor at Camp Jellystone at Wisconsin Dells.  Like in that respect it's the Minnie Apple's Long Island or Jersey Shore...just appropriately more German and a whole lot more cheap booze and heart cloggingly delicious food.  In fact...I think everybody should experience Wisconsin.  Lewis Black loves Wisconsin...that should be convincing enough.

Also, going to UW Madison at Halloween is a pilgrimage for college partiers across the midwest.

That said,...the packers suck...their cops are racist against Minnesotans, and we're slightly better than them in most quality of life indicators which fills us with immense scornful pride that people like Canadians can understand.

But Iowa sucks and North Dakota is full of everybodies' elderly family members cuz my God North Dakotan invasion (brtd)...and South Dakota...south dawhata? Oh yeah...that other Dakota.  Isnt that by Nebraska?

Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 10:09:48 PM »

Massachusetts is full of arrogant drunken HPs with garbage sports franchises like the Red Sox. It's only redeeming quality is central Cape Cod/the islands, but even Provincetown manages to bring that area down. (NJ, but basically NY perspective).

The New York/New Jersey rivalry has kind of died off some since everyone moved to New Jersey, but it doesn't stop the ones who stayed from mocking our horrible smoke towers and filthy factories polluting Secaucus and the surrounding area. I don't blame them, but just outside is the home of such beautiful parks and beaches - Don't even tell me Coney Island can match that and upstate New York is just so far and sparsely populated for it to even count. We have awesome farms too, but they don't take hours to get to.

Sad to hear that about Wisconsin. I know the binge drinking is a problem there, but I always thought those soft Midwestern accents made Minny, Wisky, and the UP get along quite well.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 10:17:36 PM »

Most rivalries in Canada are intra-provincial (think Edmonton vs. Calgary). I suppose there's a bit of one between Ontario and Quebec and with Saskatchewan and Manitoba (especially with football).
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 09:19:36 AM »

California and Texas.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 09:21:05 AM »

Pennsylvania and Maryland,...but that's more in the Baltimore vs Philly sort of way than the states themselves.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 10:04:18 AM »

South Dakota and North Dakota.  At my college geography class here, North Dakota was picked by the class as the least favorite state.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 11:03:27 AM »

Minnesota/Wisconsin is just cute when it's put against Michigan/Ohio.  God, Michigan and Ohio actually hate each other.  Hate hate hate.  It's really weird.  Minnesotans say we're rivals with Wisconsin, but in reality we secretly recognize our great kinship and would stand up for them in a bar fight if they needed it.  Michiganders would just help whoever was beating up an Ohioan (and vice-versa).
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 11:50:02 AM »

In Austria there's not really that much a rivalry between some states... Styrians don't like people from Carinthia that much, and we in Tirol are not the biggest fans of from Vorarlberg...
It's more like that you have some general stereotypes about states:
- People in Vorarlberg are considered, Idk, a bit "excluded" from the rest of Austria, so like different from us all,  as they are more oriented towards Switzerland, and they speek a completely different and strange (and ugly) dialect
- We in Tirol are usually seen as the guys that would sell their souls if then just three more tourists were to come to our hotels Tongue also, people mock our dialect by adding a "k" to anything (we do pronounce the k in a very strange way)
- Salzburg, well, there is not really much to be said about it, they just seem like your typical mixture of what is Austria, nothing that special what we'd say about Salzburgians
- Carinthians are often seen as a bit dumb (their dialect does really sound completely dumb, though Tongue), and in a way already like Slovenians, no "true Austrians" anymore
- Styrians are overly traditional and proud of their old heritage, wear folklore clothing all the time, and "bark" when they speak
- People in the Burgenland are also probably all Hungarians or Croatians or Roma or whatever, just not true Austrians... Also popular in Vienna are jokes about them, they're considered just as dumb as Carinthians
- Viennese are arrogant, snobby, just like people living in cities are viewed from people in the country
- Lower Austria and Upper Austria also both don't have any uniqueness, they are just like Vienna just not in the city, but in the countryside

Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 11:57:13 AM »

Massachusetts is full of arrogant drunken HPs

You act as if this is a bad thing!
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 12:04:51 PM »

FIBS
Cobbler
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2015, 01:19:38 PM »

Oregon (Portland/Seattle rivalry) and California.
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2015, 05:39:03 PM »

I once saw a shirt that was something like "Texas terminology" or something. It was in Texas, so it's no joke.

Caption of a picture of Texas: Heaven
Caption of a picture of California: Hell.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2015, 05:43:18 PM »

The biggest rivalry between states is obviously Kansas and Missouri - we even went to war over our differences.

Missouri is overrun by unintelligent crackheads. I would rather commute an hour to work than live in Missouri. Every time I cross into the border I pray to God that I don't die...because I don't want to die in Missouri. There is a stench that consumes the whole state - why anyone would want to live there is beyond me.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2015, 05:43:47 PM »

Pennsylvania and Maryland,...but that's more in the Baltimore vs Philly sort of way than the states themselves.

Maybe for Steelers-Ravens but that's it. There isn't a general rivalry. In fact, I bet most Pennsylvanians don't even know we border Maryland. Tongue
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2015, 06:36:48 PM »

Connecticut is full of mushrooming suburban sprawl, culturally in thrall to New York (half of them are Yankees fans, for God's sake!), and all around inheritor to New Hampshire's former title as the red-headed stepchild of the New England states. It took Gilmore Girls giving it the full John Irving treatment to make it look halfway livable.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2015, 06:56:40 PM »

California and Florida.
Modernity has failed us
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2015, 07:22:31 PM »

Massachusetts is full of arrogant drunken HPs with garbage sports franchises like the Red Sox.

What

were

you

saying?
Knives
solopop
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2015, 07:34:52 PM »

Everyone not in WA hates WA.
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2015, 08:20:58 PM »

Ontario is too big to have a rival Tongue
Although there is somewhat of an Ontario vs. Western Canada rivalry, over energy and economic issues (free trade/extractionist West vs protectionist East) and when the Quebec question was more contentious an Ontario vs Quebec one (English vs French). I feel like the Quebec-Ontario divide is closing while the West-East one is growing.
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2015, 08:27:48 PM »
« Edited: January 27, 2015, 08:36:01 PM by Enderman »

I can confirm everything that Snowguy said about the Minnesota-Wisconsin rivalry, but in my opinion, the rivalry is more prevalent with Wisconsin-Illinois.

Anyways, I've known that apparently Florida has beef against Georgia. TBH I don't know why....

...oh wait

*steps back a lot to see the Florida vs Georgia crapstorm to ensue*

EDIT: Okay, actually, it's not really a matter of "redneck" vs "civilized". I have no bad blood against the DeleGAtion. My family is from Wisconsin, so I'm more attached to the Wisconsin vs Illinois/Minnesota rivalry than the Florida vs Georgia one. Tongue
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2015, 08:43:16 PM »

Michigan and Ohio seem to have a pretty bitter rivalry (probably because of the Michigan/Ohio State sports rivalry.)  I see people from Michigan hating on Ohio all the time and saying that Cedar Point is the only good thing there.  Personally, I beg to differ, but it's what I've noticed.
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2015, 09:19:09 PM »

I'm pretty sure Michigan and Ohio went to war with each other once.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2015, 04:12:45 PM »

I'm pretty sure Michigan and Ohio went to war with each other once.

And Ohio lost since it kept Toledo.
Representative Joe Mad
Joe Mad
Rookie

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2015, 04:36:57 PM »
« Edited: January 28, 2015, 04:39:38 PM by Representative Joe "Landslide" Mad »

The biggest rivalry between states is obviously Kansas and Missouri - we even went to war over our differences.

Missouri is overrun by unintelligent crackheads. I would rather commute an hour to work than live in Missouri. Every time I cross into the border I pray to God that I don't die...because I don't want to die in Missouri. There is a stench that consumes the whole state - why anyone would want to live there is beyond me.

Haha, essentially this, but if you're from Missouri just substitute Missouri with Kansas.  Kansas is a wasteland of dumb hicks where the only bastion of anything worth going to is located in Lawrence.  I remember (when I was younger) going to a little lake property my buddy's parents owned and seeing a sign that said "Meth Watch."  Yea, they were watching for meth alright.  And there was always that dude that drove around at weird hours that would give us crap for no apparent reason.  Now, we were stumbling around drunk, but hey, why you driving circles at 1 in the morning?  Ah, Lake Chaparral, come back to me.

Though, frankly, Missouri and Kansas have a lot more in common than residents of either state would admit.  Just adds to the greatness of our rivalry that makes hanging out with my Kansas friends so much fun.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2015, 10:08:32 PM »

Maine has always had beef with Massachusetts. It's actually interesting. You could split Northern New England (the libertarian liberal chunk) and Southern (the authoritarian liberal chunk) New England into two regions and some would never notice or know they were once one.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies