MN-07: Peterson planning to run in 2016
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:31:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MN-07: Peterson planning to run in 2016
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MN-07: Peterson planning to run in 2016  (Read 1547 times)
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 27, 2015, 11:56:39 AM »

Article.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

He'd keep the seat safe, but Democrats should be hoping that 2016 and 2018 are a package deal with him. It would be better for Peterson to hand off the seat in a Presidential year.
socaldem
skolodji

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 07:57:48 PM »

If Peterson stays until 2020, his seat can be sacrificed in redistricting.

I imagine they can create a unified Democratic North Country seat. Combine the central MN exurbs of district 6,7, and 8 into a super GOP district and allow the Twin City districts to swallow up the inner ring suburbs from District 6.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 08:04:20 PM »

I imagine they can create a unified Democratic North Country seat. Combine the central MN exurbs of district 6,7, and 8 into a super GOP district and allow the Twin City districts to swallow up the inner ring suburbs from District 6.

Keep in mind the dems ability to gerrymander like that would depend on them having control of the MN house during the redistricting time period. It's a pretty swingy chamber, so no guarantees. (Republican Controlled after 2004/2010/2014, Democratic Controlled after 2006/2008/2012)
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 08:09:52 PM »

Keep in mind the dems ability to gerrymander like that would depend on them having control of the MN house during the redistricting time period. It's a pretty swingy chamber, so no guarantees. (Republican Controlled after 2004/2010/2014, Democratic Controlled after 2006/2008/2012)

Having a governor would obviously be important too, though the Republicans ability to win statewide elections in Minnesota is pretty pathetic, so it probably won't happen.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 08:23:28 PM »

Having a governor would obviously be important too, though the Republicans ability to win statewide elections in Minnesota is pretty pathetic, so it probably won't happen.

Dayton got a mediocre challenger last year, and his margin was only about half of what Franken's was. If Republicans can get Paulsen/Coleman/maybe Kline or Seifert to run in 2018, they'd have a credible shot, especially if there's a third partier getting 8-10%, which happens fairly often. (And considering Pawlenty won in the neutral year of 2002 and then in a democratic wave in 2006, it doesn't even necessarily have to be a 2014-style climate.)

Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix
E: -6.90, S: -6.17

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 09:11:51 PM »

Dayton got a mediocre challenger last year, and his margin was only about half of what Franken's was. If Republicans can get Paulsen/Coleman/maybe Kline or Seifert to run in 2018, they'd have a credible shot, especially if there's a third partier getting 8-10%, which happens fairly often. (And considering Pawlenty won in the neutral year of 2002 and then in a democratic wave in 2006, it doesn't even necessarily have to be a 2014-style climate.)

Eh, Paulsen running seems improbable, and I doubt the others you named would have any shot. The only other potential candidate with significant name recognition that I could think of would be Kurt Daudt, depending on how he handles the House in the next couple (hopefully only two) years, but I also doubt his ability to win with the ultraconservative record he's racked up. The MN GOP has a pretty pathetic bench unless a real rising star pops up in between now and 2017.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2015, 01:39:38 PM »

Coleman, Seifert, and Kline probably aren't electable statewide at this point.  I doubt Paulsen runs, and even if he does, he'd probably start as no more than a credible underdog/wave insurance.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2015, 11:12:33 AM »

Lori Swanson would be very formidable she fits the state perfectly.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2015, 11:52:06 AM »

You're right about her formidability (she was re-elected by 14 points in 2014), but I'd be surprised if she actually ran. Attorney General -- Congresswoman is a significant step down.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2015, 12:07:25 PM »

She also lives in Eagan.
Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix
E: -6.90, S: -6.17

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2015, 01:28:31 AM »

You're right about her formidability (she was re-elected by 14 points in 2014), but I'd be surprised if she actually ran. Attorney General -- Congresswoman is a significant step down.
socaldem
skolodji

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2015, 11:42:19 PM »

I think the implication is that Lori Swanson is the Governor in-waiting, not that she will succeed Peterson. The governor's race discussion resulted from comment on the redistricting implications of Peterson's reelection plans.

Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2015, 02:19:11 AM »

Peterson was held to his lowest margin since the 1990s in 2014 (54-46), and 2016 will be a more nationalized race. I doubt he'll lose, but if we keep up the pressure on him (Westrom ran a very good campaign, I'd like to see us get him again) we can hopefully defeat him outright in 2018 or 2020, prior to the next redistricting.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies