Napoleon Memorial Thread #RIP
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:37:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Napoleon Memorial Thread #RIP
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Napoleon Memorial Thread #RIP  (Read 11275 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: January 30, 2015, 09:42:21 AM »

Going through my PMs, a lot of nice words from Napolean.  Maybe Napolean is the real Kyle Mercado and Hamilton is how he takes out his aggression?   It's all very bizarre.  It's not like, say, if opebo and Bushie turned out to be the same person... But it's up there in crazy Atlas lore.

Who's Napolean?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #76 on: January 30, 2015, 09:45:11 AM »

Why are those of you who were catfished by Hammy, sad again?
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #77 on: January 30, 2015, 10:22:33 AM »

Going through my PMs, a lot of nice words from Napolean.  Maybe Napolean is the real Kyle Mercado and Hamilton is how he takes out his aggression?   It's all very bizarre.  It's not like, say, if opebo and Bushie turned out to be the same person... But it's up there in crazy Atlas lore.

Who's Napolean?

Who's Opebo?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #78 on: January 30, 2015, 10:38:45 AM »

Who's Napolean?

Who's Opebo?

I don't know.  Doesn't ring a bell.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #79 on: January 30, 2015, 10:53:23 AM »

One thing we should all have learned from this forum, both due to our Oklahoman comrade and our experiences with the disastrous unbannings of Libertas and Einzige, is that people never, ever change.

Another lesson that we have learned is that sizable minority of posters will overlook any transgression, as long as the wrongdoer was friendly toward them personally.

Is it that, or is it that our wacky sockmasters can be a lot of fun?  I mean, Napoleon is Kyle Mercado?  Who doesn't love that twist?  Besides, other sockmasters don't even try to hide who they are.  Like the jamfist.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #80 on: January 30, 2015, 11:28:07 AM »

this is, certainly, an internet forum about politics. that's the most I can get from this thread.

It is, but it is also so much more.  Where else does this Hamilton saga go down?  Seriously.  We should also be grateful that this is the biggest problem we actually have to deal with.  Sockmasters.

I guess my deeper meaning of the post was lost. Allow me to explain.

It's not just about politics, it is politics. People putting on personas and gaining mass appeal. Napoleon/Hamilton shoke hands and kissed babies like a politician, and people fell for it. I shouldn't have been as frustrated as I had been with him had I known of the Hamilton issue (I wasn't around during hamiltons time.) The best thing we can do as a community is to look beyond the friendly behavior.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #81 on: January 30, 2015, 11:31:12 AM »

"Keep the monkey around because it amuses us" is a more sympathetic argument, but understandably it's not one that holds much appeal for anyone responsible for shoveling the monkey's feces.

Yes yes yes, i'm no ignorant, AN.  I understand that the socks create headaches for our mods, and that they have very thankless jobs.  But the murder of opebo had long-lasting repercussions where a lot of us want to be big rabble-rousers in FC, for lack of a better term. 
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #82 on: January 30, 2015, 01:07:15 PM »

"Keep the monkey around because it amuses us" is a more sympathetic argument, but understandably it's not one that holds much appeal for anyone responsible for shoveling the monkey's feces.

Yes yes yes, i'm no ignorant, AN.  I understand that the socks create headaches for our mods, and that they have very thankless jobs.  But the murder of opebo had long-lasting repercussions where a lot of us want to be big rabble-rousers in FC, for lack of a better term. 

That's not quite what I meant, HD. My reaction is less a matter of glee over the banning of another Kyle Mercado sock than it is of relief that "Napoleon" never existed, except as a performance put on at our expense.

I just wish more people would understand. When you say "I didn't like Hamilton but Napoleon was my friend," it just sounds that person isn't all there.

Napoleon as the person most people "knew" never existed, so I can't believe there are people who keep saying we should keep this persona around because he was nice to them. For those of us who Kyle's Napoleon did not like, we know he hasn't changed.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #83 on: January 30, 2015, 01:17:17 PM »
« Edited: January 30, 2015, 05:52:46 PM by Stranger in a strange land »

I'm sure most of you have seen the Geek Social Fallacies list that's been circulating on the Internet for about a decade. This is an excellent list, but it has one crucial omission, one that I see in geek/nerd social circles just as much of the ones on his list, and sometimes even more: just because someone is nice to you doesn't automatically mean they're a good person.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #84 on: January 30, 2015, 03:26:44 PM »

That's not quite what I meant, HD. My reaction is less a matter of glee over the banning of another Kyle Mercado sock than it is of relief that "Napoleon" never existed, except as a performance put on at our expense.

I just wish more people would understand. When you say "I didn't like Hamilton but Napoleon was my friend," it just sounds that person isn't all there.

Napoleon as the person most people "knew" never existed, so I can't believe there are people who keep saying we should keep this persona around because he was nice to them. For those of us who Kyle's Napoleon did not like, we know he hasn't changed.

It's a little odd seeing people in this thread talking about Hamilton like he's some sort of carefree teenager who went joyriding and spent time in juvie. What he did went far beyond youthful indiscretion and it is very unlikely that he is capable of changing.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #85 on: January 30, 2015, 03:44:34 PM »

I'm not going to put separate situational personalities emerging past Kyle Mercado.  He's a little whacked out at the very best.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #86 on: January 30, 2015, 03:55:32 PM »

I'm sure most of you have seen the Geek Social Fallacies list that's been circulating on the Internet for about a decade. This is an excellent list, but it has one crucial omission, one that I see in geek/nerd social circles just as much of the ones on his list, and sometimes even more: just because someone is nice to you doesn't automatically mean they're a good person.

As someone who tends to value niceness a lot... this is very true.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #87 on: January 31, 2015, 01:02:32 PM »

I'mnot sure that's a purely 'geeky' phenomenon
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #88 on: February 01, 2015, 07:58:28 PM »

I'mnot sure that's a purely 'geeky' phenomenon

Yeah, that's just being human. Tongue

In fact, people who are artificially nice to you are probably more likely to be weird or up to something bad.

Which also somewhat explains why we actually do need to regulate this kind of stuff severely. If we are to have 14-year olds posting here we can't allow psychos to prey on them.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #89 on: February 01, 2015, 10:37:50 PM »

My sentiments exactly.....
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #90 on: February 02, 2015, 10:57:59 AM »

Found a post which both: 1-makes the revelation not all that surprising and 2-proves that he was terrible:

Both are above average posters. I don't know what's wrong with some of you.

(Referring to freepcrusher and krazen)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies