ObamaCare cost expectation drops 7%
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:48:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  ObamaCare cost expectation drops 7%
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: ObamaCare cost expectation drops 7%  (Read 5780 times)
AggregateDemand
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2015, 12:52:05 AM »

By the measure that having an individual and employee mandate for healthcare was predicted by Very Serious Economists to destroy full time work but, instead, an employment rebound happened.

The very fact that we can have a law that mandates insurance, that prevents denial of insurance, that expands risk pools and still have a growing economy proves it to be worthwhile.

There is no employment rebound. We had a bump after the petroleum economy hit its stride and slashed the deficit. The "rebound" is actually people dropping out of the labor force.

Furthermore, you don't know anything about the law. In the past, employers could reimburse employees for buying their own plans. Now, reimbursing employees for healthcare premiums carries a $36,500 fine. We are just now getting these rulings for tax year 2014, which is hilarious because no one can remedy any inadvertent wrong-doing in 2014. But the best part of all is that the IRS and DOL have issued conflicting rulings about what triggers the fines. No one knows what the hell this stupid law is, least of all the people in charge of implementing it. How many S-Corps and partnerships do you think are now dealing with the ramifications of Obama's impudence? If they had refused to provide their employees with any health insurance assistance, they would have been better off.

Regardless of what the people at DOL and IRS negotiate, it appears many more people will be arbitrarily screwed out of their income tax exemption for health insurance premiums, which merely underlines that this bill is a pointless cluster with an arcane system for shifting healthcare costs and tax burdens. This is the kind of stuff people voted for? A patently unjust crap shoot that leaves mega-corps to their own devices while punishing the people on main street?

ACA is even more worthless and dangerous than we previously imagined, and we're all beginning to learn why Obama refused to implement the mandates. Just wait until you hear the vitriol aimed at Obama and the Democrats when Americans learn they will be taxed, not rewarded, for taking care of their broke-ass dependents who can't find work and can't afford to be a full-time student (therefore no health coverage for 2014).

If I were Obama, I'd be on Air Force One with my family, and I wouldn't land until I had asylum somewhere in the Eastern Hemisphere.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2015, 01:07:42 AM »
« Edited: February 02, 2015, 01:09:22 AM by Monarch »

Stop running in circles.  Ignoring the spike in between, the insured rate among adults fell from 14.6 in pre-crash 2008 to 13.4 in 2015. Either more people have jobs than 7 years ago or more people have health insurance than 7 years ago. Either way, you're going to have to say this bill has done something positive to something. You can't have it both ways

AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2015, 01:21:32 AM »

Stop running in circles.  Ignoring the spike in between, the insured rate among adults fell from 14.6 in pre-crash 2008 to 13.4 in 2015. Either more people have jobs than 7 years ago or more people have health insurance than 7 years ago. Either way, you're going to have to say this bill has done something positive to something. You can't have it both ways

I can have it both ways. It's called Medicare. You stop working, and then you sap healthcare from everyone else. Amusingly, this makes Americans die sooner than other developed nations at much higher costs than anywhere else on earth. But let's not fix anything.

We've been through the data numerous times. The Obamacare contribution is 1%-1.5%. That's the transformative outcome of these fines, forms, and mandates. 1% of the population has signed up.

We're saved. Time to build a monument for President Obama.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2015, 01:27:20 AM »

I can have it both ways. It's called Medicare. You stop working, and then you sap healthcare from everyone else. Amusingly, this makes Americans die sooner than other developed nations at much higher costs than anywhere else on earth. But let's not fix anything

We've been through the data numerous times. The Obamacare contribution is 1%-1.5%. That's the transformative outcome of these fines, forms, and mandates. 1% of the population has signed up. .

Ah yes. The retiring baby boomers who are affecting the insurance rate while simultaneously having nothing to do with labor force participation rate falling. Your most favorite doublespeak.

And, of course, 1-1.5% of the US population is a "small" number, as opposed to when labor force participation, or debt as a % of GDP, or tax receipts as a % of GDP changes by a "large" number like .1%.

Classic, AD. Simply classic.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2015, 01:34:36 PM »

ACA has been very successful by what measure? An overwhelming majority of the increase in coverage was caused by employment rebound, which is not closely related to any Obama policy.

LOL, hack.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2015, 01:40:14 PM »
« Edited: February 02, 2015, 01:44:19 PM by shua »

http://huff.to/15OLHpq

Just another add-on to the long list of reasons why full repeal of ObamaCare is the wrong thing to do. Smiley

How so? The reason why the cost estimate fell is because not as many people as expected have signed up. And this is just the cost for the private insurance portion. The cost estimate for Medicaid increased by $59 billion.

in any case, for anyone who hasn't been closely watching the CBOs cost estimates, this news tells you very little.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2015, 02:13:37 PM »

Ah yes. The retiring baby boomers who are affecting the insurance rate while simultaneously having nothing to do with labor force participation rate falling. Your most favorite doublespeak.

And, of course, 1-1.5% of the US population is a "small" number, as opposed to when labor force participation, or debt as a % of GDP, or tax receipts as a % of GDP changes by a "large" number like .1%.

Classic, AD. Simply classic.

I understand that the LFP discussion is beyond the intellect of the average individual, who gets bogged down in whether or not it should be falling. I'm not interested in making valid excuses for the failure of our nation or our social state. LFP cannot fall, if we are going to pay for most of the promises we've made.

Furthermore, I'm not sure how many more times I'm going to have to explain why Republican "spending" and Democratic spending have disparate impact on revenues. Republicans refund the money to certain demographics before a bureaucracy touches it (not counting the IRS), and Democrats send the money back to the people after a bureaucracy touches it. Therefore, the bump in tax revenues and transfer payments is not accurately recorded in revenues when Republicans cut taxes with refundable credits.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2015, 02:15:42 PM »

ACA has been very successful by what measure? An overwhelming majority of the increase in coverage was caused by employment rebound, which is not closely related to any Obama policy.

LOL, hack.

If I made a distinction between the rebound in money velocity/supply and the "rebound" in employment, would you understand it anyway?

Probably not.

We are recovering. It's still a jobless recovery. Maybe that will change, but Democrats don't seem to bothered by the consequences of ACA.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2015, 02:17:43 PM »

Responding to being caught out in a contradiction by insulting the intelligence of everybody arguing with you is idiotic.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2015, 02:28:51 PM »

If the definition of terms you use are going to change from post to post, I suggest you start using footnotes, AD.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2015, 06:58:21 PM »

If we're all too stupid to understand AD's arguments, one needs to wonder why he keeps wasting his time sharing his superior intellect with us.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2015, 07:42:14 PM »

If we're all too stupid to understand AD's arguments, one needs to wonder why he keeps wasting his time sharing his superior intellect with us.

Because people eventually get tired of being clueless about the workings of the world, and they start to learn.
Oak Hills
United States

« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2015, 09:28:11 PM »

Furthermore, I'm not sure how many more times I'm going to have to explain why Republican "spending" and Democratic spending have disparate impact on revenues. Republicans refund the money to certain demographics before a bureaucracy touches it (not counting the IRS), and Democrats send the money back to the people after a bureaucracy touches it. Therefore, the bump in tax revenues and transfer payments is not accurately recorded in revenues when Republicans cut taxes with refundable credits.

A bureaucracy employing plenty of people, who have families and spend money just like everybody else.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2015, 10:01:33 PM »

LOL, hack.

Beat me too it.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2015, 08:49:00 PM »

This is a bit off topic.  But I can't help but note that, today, on the same day the U.S. House of Representatives voted for the 56th time to repeal Obamacare, the British House of Commons voted to endorse a procedure that may help prevent mitochondrial disease in newborns.  I had to put that fact on the record here.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2015, 02:08:52 AM »

Because people eventually get tired of being clueless about the workings of the world, and they start to learn.

We'll try so hard AD.

Meanwhile, DIAF.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2015, 09:43:54 AM »

Trade deficit widened 17% in December (6% for 2014) as imports jumped 2.2%. Meanwhile, unemployment rate rises as discouraged and detached workers try to regain employment.

Gee, who could have known this was coming?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2015, 12:30:33 PM »

Meanwhile, unemployment rate rises as discouraged and detached workers try to regain employment.

Or college students who graduated in December moved into the labor force to seek employment in January.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2015, 03:28:12 PM »

Meanwhile, unemployment rate rises as discouraged and detached workers try to regain employment.

Or college students who graduated in December moved into the labor force to seek employment in January.

Seasonal adjustment would have corrected for any impact of that.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2015, 04:17:15 PM »

Seasonal adjustment would have corrected for any impact of that.

The unadjusted rate was stagnant from Dec to Jan, so the creation came in seasonal adjustment.

The only unadjusted increase in LFP from Dec to Jan came from people who said they have Bachelor degrees. That's a wide range of people, but to me it suggests graduates moving in more than discouraged workers.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2015, 04:20:02 PM »

Some college/Associate Degree identified people also spiked up .4 from Dec to Jan.  It all says, students, students, students to me.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies