Intrastate Rivalries
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:07:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Intrastate Rivalries
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Intrastate Rivalries  (Read 2348 times)
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 27, 2015, 07:04:59 PM »
« edited: January 27, 2015, 07:08:27 PM by TDAS04 »

Inspired by the "state rivalries" thread.

What are some rivalries within your state? (Between regions, cities, urban vs. rural, etc.)

In South Dakota, it's mostly between "East River" (East of the Missouri River) and "West River" (West of the Missouri).  East River has more people, Sioux Falls and most of the larger towns, a more humid climate, and farming.  It's still conservative, but less so than West River.  West River is very thinly populated, with Rapid City as the only city with over 10,000 people.  It's ferociously Republican, aside from the large, heavily-Democratic reservations.  The climate is dry, and they have more ranching and tourism (thanks to the Black Hills and Badlands).  While East River is clearly "Midwestern", West River is more "Western".

The regions don't hate each other by any means, but there is rivalry.  We in East River consider people in West River hicks, and West River residents consider us uptight, elitist, latte liberals.  Also, there are different sports team allegiances.  The Minnesota Vikings are the favorite NFL team here, while Denver Broncos fans predominate West of the Missouri.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 07:08:24 PM »

Before anyone says the opposite, aside from politics and Hockey, there isn't a true Philly-Pittsburgh rivalry because it's really a one way hatred. An overwhelming majority of Philadelphians honestly don't think much about Pittsburgh.

Personally, I like Pittsburgh.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 07:11:08 PM »

Yea, Philadelphia seems to forget Pittsburgh exists.

South Jersey/North Jersey is much more brutal.
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 09:31:39 PM »

North Florida and South Florida apparently has quite a rivalry. Ironically living literally in between the two doesn't help that much for insight. Sad
Panda Express

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 02:33:06 AM »

Denver vs Colorado Springs has always been the big one

Also, Boulder vs Fort Collins (two main college towns)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 02:41:24 PM »

Ottawa vs. Toronto (hockey)
Toronto vs. Hamilton (football) [Ottawa's main rival is Montreal]
Northern vs. Southern (curling)

Lots of junior hockey and university rivalries too.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 03:40:54 PM »

Before anyone says the opposite, aside from politics and Hockey, there isn't a true Philly-Pittsburgh rivalry...

I haven't noticed much either.  Since I have moved to the area the main comment I notice is that folks from SE Pennsylvania always comment on how Pittsburghers talk.  I've even heard folks originally from Pittsburgh commenting on their own speech when they move to this part of the state.  

There does seem to be a perception among Steelers fans that the Eagles are snooty or snobby.  To my surprise, the Steelers seem to be slightly more popular here, even though we are 65 miles from Philadelphia but 240 miles from Pittsburgh.  On the other hand, Phillies fans far outnumber Pirates here.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 03:57:58 PM »

Before anyone says the opposite, aside from politics and Hockey, there isn't a true Philly-Pittsburgh rivalry...

I haven't noticed much either.  Since I have moved to the area the main comment I notice is that folks from SE Pennsylvania always comment on how Pittsburghers talk.  I've even heard folks originally from Pittsburgh commenting on their own speech when they move to this part of the state.  

There does seem to be a perception among Steelers fans that the Eagles are snooty or snobby.  To my surprise, the Steelers seem to be slightly more popular here, even though we are 65 miles from Philadelphia but 240 miles from Pittsburgh.  On the other hand, Phillies fans far outnumber Pirates here.

Philadelphia fans hate everyone, including their own players, so no biggie here, we get booed as much as their own players do when the Steelers or Penguins or Pirates come to town.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 04:10:16 PM »

It's more USC v. Clemson here than any sort of regional rivalry.  Even people who have no direct connection to one of the two schools tend to take sides.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 05:22:56 PM »

Philadelphia fans hate everyone, including their own players, so no biggie here, we get booed as much as their own players do when the Steelers or Penguins or Pirates come to town.

But Eagles fans don't actually hate the Steelers or their fans. We don't have a reason to. I, for one, like the Steelers. Maybe there's a bit of a jealousy because of the six Super Bowls vs. our zero but it's not palpable.

It makes sense that there would be more Steelers fans by angus even though he's closer to Philly. The Steelers are the Pittsburgh + almost everywhere else PA team. It's probably mostly because of a resentment towards Philly in general though Phillies fans outnumbering Pirates fans in angus-land would contradict that. 
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2015, 05:40:34 PM »

Oakland and San Jose have a "best city to fly into Bay Area via Southwest Airlines" rivalry.

Then, of course, there's the infamous West Las Vegas, NM vs Espanola Valley, NM high school athletic rivalry that has divided hundreds of dads, spanning generations.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2015, 06:56:16 PM »

Duke versus North Carolina. The greatest rivalry in college basketball. I don't care anything about the sports in South Carolina.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2015, 02:03:02 AM »

NOVA versus the rest of Virginia.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2015, 02:24:57 AM »

No serious rivalries here.  We tend to get along with everyone.  Politically we are rivals with the Twin Cities...either the granola eating liberals in Minneapolis if you're GOP...or the 'I got mine, Jack' crowd from the suburbs if you're DFL.

H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2015, 02:38:28 AM »

Northern California vs. Southern California

Also Orange County vs. LA city to a certain extent (with Long Beach and southern inner-suburb LA county like Cerritos caught in the middle)
Kushahontas
floating_to_sea
Kenya

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2015, 12:58:47 PM »

Austin v. everywhere else
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2015, 01:37:51 PM »

Isn't Austin the Jacksonville of TX?  Tongue
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2015, 01:51:28 PM »

Nashville is the lamest city ever. Not just because I'm from Memphis. It's simply the truth. Politics aside, Chattanooga and Knoxville are cool though. Obviously anywhere else in the state is completely uninhabitable.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2015, 02:36:19 PM »

Upstate vs. downstate is definitely the big one. Within upstate there's Rochester vs. Buffalo (vs. Syracuse), and within Rochester there's Brighton vs. Pittsford and normal people vs. Greece.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2015, 04:13:54 PM »

Anchorage vs. the MatSu Valley

Anchorage vs. Fairbanks

World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators