Political Map
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:31:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Political Map
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Political Map  (Read 3085 times)
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 28, 2015, 08:09:41 PM »
« edited: January 28, 2015, 08:27:19 PM by Intell »

Political Maps based on this test's results http://www.gotoquiz.com/politics/political-spectrum-quiz.html

Social Libertarian vs. Authoritarian By State

This map is regenerated periodically. As of this writing, social authoritarians are found mostly in the South and in a few mountain states. The most socially libertarian states are found in the Pacific Northwest and New England. Please note, this map represents social policy, not economic! The next map tackles economic policy.

Economic Left vs. Right By State

As of this writing, the South is the politically furthest right. The Pacific Northwest and several New England states are the furthest left. It's interesting to see how much Maine diverges from some of its neighboring states. California is not is far to the left as some might expect.

Neocon vs. Non-interventionist By State

This map shows a pattern that is becoming familiar. Neo-conservatism is concentrated mostly in the South. Non-interventionist states are scattered in the Northeast and along the West Coast.

Liberal vs. Conservative By State

The Southern and several Mountain states are the most culturally conservative, as well as Alaska. The liberal side of the culture war is unsurprisingly found in several Northeast states as well as on the West Coast. The Mid-Atlantic, Mid-West and several Mountain states represent the political middle.

Link: http://www.gotoquiz.com/politics/political-maps.html

Web Results not scientifically done results.

Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 08:18:59 PM »

It's interesting to see how much Maine diverges from some of its neighbouring states.
Looks like the south isn't as populist as it's claimed to be. Maybe there is an underreporting of blacks? Also Oregon confirmed for Freedom State (except on matters of fluoride and vaccination). Vermont too.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 08:25:52 PM »

It's interesting to see how much Maine diverges from some of its neighbouring states.
Looks like the south isn't as populist as it's claimed to be. Maybe there is an underreporting of blacks? Also Oregon confirmed for Freedom State (except on matters of fluoride and vaccination). Vermont too.

Remember this is a fun net, test result not a scientifically done one.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 08:30:14 PM »

This map makes it seem weird that Democrats can win Florida.  Then again, there likely aren't too many former FDR voters or struggling immigrant families taking online quizzes.

This does somewhat confirm, as I have long suspected, that Southern populists are now extinct in the electorate as well as congress.  I did not expect the Great Plains solid R states to come in economically left of the entire South save NC.  
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 08:37:34 PM »

The first one looks so seriously off that I was reading it backwards at first. Georgia, Tennessee, and New York strike me as authoritarian. The Dakotas and Idaho seem quite libertarian.

The south is not economically right wing especially not Arkansas. Colorado and Montana are better examples of the right.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 08:43:07 PM »

Political Maps based on this test's results http://www.gotoquiz.com/politics/political-spectrum-quiz.html

Democrats

Each blue dot you see is an actual data point from our quiz representing the score of someone who identified as a Democrat. You can see Democrats are rather concentrated in the lower left quadrant (left-libertarian), with some spill-over into the authoritarian side.

Republicans

The red dots are data points from our quiz representing the score of someone who identified as a Republican. Interestingly, Republicans show a wider spread of results than Democrats. They lean authoritarian, though move further libertarian as they go rightward.

Democrats and Republicans

This grid shows both Democrats and Republicans, highlighting where they overlap. Blue for Democrats, red for Republicans.

Libertarians

The dots on this grid represent Libertarian scores. The majority fall along a line that stretches from the center to the lower-right quadrant (right-libertarian).

Democrats, Republicans and Libertarians

Because libertarianism is popular on the web, we decided to overlay it with the two major political parties. Here you see all three, with green this time representing the Libertarians. Yellow is where Republicans and Libertarians overlap, white is where they all overlap.

Green Party

The dots here represent the Green Party, which is not too different from the Democrats' results, but a bit further to the left.

Constitution Party

The dots here represent the Constitution Party, which is pretty center-right. We did not have as many data points for this party as for the others.

Independents

Link: http://www.gotoquiz.com/politics/poli-compare-parties.html

Web Results,  not scientifically done results.

Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 08:50:00 PM »

Democratic Comparison test http://www.gotoquiz.com/politics/poli-compare.html, based on the test results of the test.

Web Results, not scientifically done results.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 08:54:40 PM »
« Edited: January 28, 2015, 08:57:03 PM by angus »

It's interesting to see how much Maine diverges from some of its neighboring states.

?

Maine borders only one state.  Singular:  state.  Also, it only diverges from that neighbor by one color shade, and it does so in a predictable manner, since the political culture of Maine, as understood by Daniel Elazar nearly a century ago, is more similar to that of the intermontane west than to that of Southern New England.

other than that, your post fairly well summarizes the data (although it offers no analysis.)
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 09:01:20 PM »

It's interesting to see how much Maine diverges from some of its neighboring states.

?

Maine borders only one state.  Singular:  state.  Also, it only diverges from that neighbor by one color shade, and it does so in a predictable manner, since the political culture of Maine, as understood by Daniel Elazar nearly a century ago, is more similar to that of the intermontane west than to that of Southern New England.

other than that, your post fairly well summarizes the data (although it offers no analysis.)

It is not my analysis, the analysis is already done on the site. I just copied it down.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 09:20:33 PM »
« Edited: January 29, 2015, 12:51:32 PM by angus »

okay, anyway the test wasn't too bad.  53 questions.  Since we're just copying stuff down, here's my result:

You are a centrist social libertarian.
Right: 0.67, Libertarian: 6.85

Foreign Policy:

On the left side are pacifists and anti-war activists. On the right side are those who want a strong military that intervenes around the world. You scored: -5.65

Culture:

Where are you in the culture war? On the liberal side, or the conservative side? This scale may apply more to the US than other countries. You scored: -7.1

I reckon that sounds about right.  Compared to others with whom I've discussed this sort of thing, I'm just a tad right of center I think, and on foreign policies I'm fairly isolationist.  On "cultural" issues I suppose that I come across fairly Netherlandish.  It all checks out.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2015, 05:11:47 PM »

Why does Kentucky place as so right-wing on foreign affairs? The '91 Gulf War was unpopular in Kentucky, for Wendell Ford voted against it.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2015, 05:32:07 PM »

Why does Kentucky place as so right-wing on foreign affairs? The '91 Gulf War was unpopular in Kentucky, for Wendell Ford voted against it.

I share your sentiment on this, though I don't categorize warmongering as "right-wing."

Eugene Siller opposed the war in Vietnam.  Rand Paul and Thomas Massie are generally anti-war.  Most Kentuckians I know want to cut military spending and withdraw from the Middle East.  Compared to people I know in the South there is a massive difference.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2015, 08:20:12 PM »

I don't categorize warmongering as "right-wing."

Neither does this test, apparently.  In fact, its goal seems to be to devise several simultaneous metrics, each of which is independent.  Right and Left refer strictly to economic philosophy in this quiz, and that scale is the only one so labeled.  I find it refreshing.  Other political quizzes have attempted this before, but this seems like the most successful attempt so far.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies