Raul Castro: US must return Guantánamo for normal relations
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:38:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Raul Castro: US must return Guantánamo for normal relations
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Raul Castro: US must return Guantánamo for normal relations  (Read 3348 times)
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 29, 2015, 02:47:31 PM »

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/world/americas/guantanamo/article8520950.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 02:54:13 PM »

U.S. continuing posession over the sovereign Cuban soil, against the country's government wishes, should indeed end.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 03:20:47 PM »

I wouldn't mind surrendering this tiny enclave back to the Cubans.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 04:08:11 PM »

Ok sure, give it back to them.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 05:41:26 PM »

This should be on the table in exchange for the return of Assata Shakur and Guillermo Morales.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 12:28:08 AM »

I approve, though the international country code should remain 5399 for the humor factor involved.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 12:42:13 AM »

I'd rather, at this point negotiate it down to giving Cuban Authorities the right and ability to try U.S Servicemen/women in Guantanamo for base infractions, and crimes committed while there.

That being said, if worst comes to worst, this base easily could be in in the Miami Beach, Jacksonville or Mobile area.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 12:47:45 AM »

No normalization until Cuba adopts capitalism and stops supporting left-wing dictatorships in the rest of Latin America. Then sure, we can cede a random exclave, why not.
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -10.00

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 12:52:47 AM »

No normalization until Cuba adopts capitalism and stops supporting left-wing dictatorships in the rest of Latin America. Then sure, we can cede a random exclave, why not.
Why the hell should a country switch economic systems just because the USA told them? Also, left wing dictatorships? Last I checked they were all democracies.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2015, 05:23:00 AM »

Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2015, 08:10:33 AM »

Telling that you prioritize capitalism over democracy.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2015, 09:29:28 AM »

I'd rather, at this point negotiate it down to giving Cuban Authorities the right and ability to try U.S Servicemen/women in Guantanamo for base infractions, and crimes committed while there.

That's the most ridiculous suggestion I've ever heard.  The US is obviously not going to hand over its personnel to Cuban authorities for crimes committed while at the base.  They'd rather hand over the base than agree to that.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2015, 12:43:45 PM »

This should be on the table in exchange for the return of Assata Shakur and Guillermo Morales.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2015, 07:46:23 PM »
« Edited: January 31, 2015, 07:48:27 PM by IDS Judicial Overlord PiT »

That's the most ridiculous suggestion I've ever heard.  The US is obviously not going to hand over its personnel to Cuban authorities for crimes committed while at the base.  They'd rather hand over the base than agree to that.

Nor do I think that Cuban authorities would be that interested in trying anyone considering that the crimes were not committed against Cuban citizens. Beyond getting the land, they don't really have a horse in the race.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2015, 03:18:11 PM »

Why the hell should a country switch economic systems just because the USA told them? Also, left wing dictatorships? Last I checked they were all democracies.
Any left-wing government is a dictatorship. Pinochet was not a dictator, however.
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -10.00

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2015, 10:22:56 PM »

Any left-wing government is a dictatorship. Pinochet was not a dictator, however.
This pretty much is what the right wing constantly says.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2015, 10:40:13 PM »

Raul Castro and his "bro" can turn a stool over and sit on it for all I care.....as if these guerrilla bastards have any right whatsoever to be making demands
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2015, 11:08:23 PM »

Why the hell should a country switch economic systems just because the USA told them?

Cuba shouldn't switch economic systems because the USA tells them to, but rather for the general well-being of their people. Switching to capitalism would still be the correct move even if the USA were not a capitalist state.

Also, left wing dictatorships? Last I checked they were all democracies.

Well, when did you check? The last time there were no left-wing dictatorships in Latin America was, I think, sometime in the mid-1990s (though I might be forgetting someone).

Telling that you prioritize capitalism over democracy.

Where did I say that? Democracy hasn't been discussed at all in this thread, or in my post.

Any left-wing government is a dictatorship.

Not so. Scandinavian countries for decades on end were ruled by social democratic parties -- including people as extreme as Olof Palme -- and remained composed of democracies.

Pinochet was not a dictator, however.

There seems to be a deal of confusion on the forum about my beliefs about Chile through the 1970-1989 era, so let me take a paragraph to set the record straight: Pinochet was a brutal right-wing dictator, under whose rule opposition was suppressed and tens of thousands were tortured or "disappeared". However, Allende, his left-wing predecessor (besides behaving in a very autocratic manner himself) led a foreign policy of friendship towards left-wing dictatorships whose actions resulted in the deaths of more innocents than Pinochet ever dreamed of killing. That is why I have noted, in thread after thread, and still feel, that Pinochet was "better" or preferable to Allende.

Raul Castro and his "bro" can turn a stool over and sit on it for all I care.....as if these bastards have any right whatsoever to be making demands

^^
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2015, 10:13:34 PM »
« Edited: February 05, 2015, 01:45:15 PM by Cory »

There seems to be a deal of confusion on the forum about my beliefs about Chile through the 1970-1989 era, so let me take a paragraph to set the record straight: Pinochet was a brutal right-wing dictator, under whose rule opposition was suppressed and tens of thousands were tortured or "disappeared". However, Allende, his left-wing predecessor (besides behaving in a very autocratic manner himself) led a foreign policy of friendship towards left-wing dictatorships whose actions resulted in the deaths of more innocents than Pinochet ever dreamed of killing. That is why I have noted, in thread after thread, and still feel, that Pinochet was "better" or preferable to Allende.

Because being allied with people who were "worse" (mostly/entirely due to population and scale differences than intent) somehow makes you worse then someone who does the same thing to one's own country.

Unless you can substantiate that Allende had something equal or worse then Pinochet in mind  you should just cut it out.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2015, 10:48:51 PM »

The only governments in modern hisory in Latin America that could accurately be described as "left-wing dictatorships" outside of Cuba are the military regime of Juan Velasco Alvarado in Peru and the Omar Torrijos regime in Panama. Most right-wingers would likely to argue for the Sandinista government in Nicaragua, but every observer agrees that for Daniel Ortega's first Presidency he was elected in a free and fair election and left office peacefully after losing the election.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2015, 10:53:41 PM »

The only governments in modern hisory in Latin America that could accurately be described as "left-wing dictatorships" outside of Cuba are the military regime of Juan Velasco Alvarado in Peru and the Omar Torrijos regime in Panama. Most right-wingers would likely to argue for the Sandinista government in Nicaragua, but every observer agrees that for Daniel Ortega's first Presidency he was elected in a free and fair election and left office peacefully after losing the election.

Maduro's mass criminalization of dissent and brutal repression of protestors certainly seems to make him an elected dictator. Much like Morsi in Egypt, who won a fair election and then began the process of making sure there would never be another.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2015, 11:04:23 PM »

Well it's pretty clear Cuba needs Venezuela more than the other way around.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2015, 02:49:33 AM »

But but but Daniel Ortega is a dictator who stopped being in power last time because he lost re-election by 14 points.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies