What will they even attack Walker on?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:23:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  What will they even attack Walker on?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: What will they even attack Walker on?  (Read 6607 times)
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2015, 12:40:43 AM »
« edited: February 01, 2015, 03:13:12 PM by pbrower2a »

What about him never graduating college?

That's probably a plus in Republican primaries.

Down with the hippie, elitist, collegiate liberal rags!

I can't image that would play in a modern GOP primary.  It could be a real issue with suburban moderates in a general, though.  You could argue that less formal education increases the risk that he would Akin himself, but he's gone 5 years now without that kind of mistake.  

Erm, no.

See, Walker didn't officially graduate college because just as he was about to, he landed a good job and so didn't officially finish. He could easily go back and finish whatever requirements remain. It's not like he failed out.

And either way, that would only make the Democratic Party look more elitist. Only 30.4% of the adults in this country have a Bachelor's degree or higher, and while it's on the rise, I'm sure that would be a disgusting line of attack to many college grads.

Middle-class minorities who almost as a strict rule have completed a college education are not going to accept that excuse.

Scott Walker has a huge chip on his shoulder toward educated 'elites'. That may be attractive to people who think education meaningless and absurd fluff.
bobloblaw
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2015, 12:38:53 PM »
« Edited: January 31, 2015, 08:36:07 PM by bobloblaw »

Even though it is settled, the Dems will trot out the John Doe stuff once more. Watch for some partisan hack Dem DA to try and revive the corrpution charges.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2015, 04:20:06 PM »

That's probably a plus in Republican primaries.

Down with the hippie, elitist, collegiate liberal rags!

I can't image that would play in a modern GOP primary.  It could be a real issue with suburban moderates in a general, though.  You could argue that less formal education increases the risk that he would Akin himself, but he's gone 5 years now without that kind of mistake. 

Erm, no.

See, Walker didn't officially graduate college because just as he was about to, he landed a good job and so didn't officially finish. He could easily go back and finish whatever requirements remain. It's not like he failed out.

And either way, that would only make the Democratic Party look more elitist. Only 30.4% of the adults in this country have a Bachelor's degree or higher, and while it's on the rise, I'm sure that would be a disgusting line of attack to many college grads.

It's a reprehensible reason to vote against someone and it would certainly be reprehensible if Democrats campaigned on it.  But that doesn't mean it won't cost him 5-10% in some Northern/Western suburbs for cultural reasons.  Think of Kerry-McCain counties, but in reverse.  Of course, he certainly has the time and money to complete the degree this year if he is really worried about it.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2015, 08:33:11 PM »

Koch Brothers relation, but that will be thrown at virtually any Republican.

His record? From what I understand, Wisconsin's still running big deficits. I'm not familiar with whatever else may be wrong with the state's economy.

Even among Republicans, there seem to be few who can match Walker when it comes to Koch-sucking.

When people talk about his record, I'd guess they're thinking more of things like cutting hundreds of millions from university, while giving $200 million to a pro basketball team.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2015, 08:45:05 PM »

It took only 2 days after this thread for Walker to lead Selzer's Iowa poll. So we'll find out any minute.

Koch Brothers relation, but that will be thrown at virtually any Republican.

His record? From what I understand, Wisconsin's still running big deficits. I'm not familiar with whatever else may be wrong with the state's economy.

Even among Republicans, there seem to be few who can match Walker when it comes to Koch-sucking.

When people talk about his record, I'd guess they're thinking more of things like cutting hundreds of millions from university, while giving $200 million to a pro basketball team.

Paul, trailing Walker by one point, might jump on this. Huckabee, who has threatened to break the GOP in 2 if they surrender on gay marriage and trails Walker by 3, will presumably attack Walker for being wimpy on the issue. As will Cruz, Jindal, Perry, Carson, Santorum. We have a whole year to go.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2015, 12:51:23 AM »

As pointed out in this thread from a year ago, Walker is a blank slate on so many national issues: On both foreign policy and some hot button social issues that tend to get decided more on the national level than the state level, like immigration.  He largely tries to stick to economic issues as much as possible:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=186871.0

As I said in that thread, that isn't so unusual, for a governor to avoid weighing in on issues that get decided in Washington rather than his own state.  But Walker will have to pick sides on these issues at some point, if he's going to run for president.

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2015, 02:41:33 AM »

I don't think that's a problem. You don't need to have a college education to be a good President.

What's more of a problem for Walker is the fact that he seems to peak too early. He's already ahead in Iowa, according to a Selzer poll today.

I don't see how he can maintain this momentum for another year, without being attacked by other candidates.

I also do not understand why this primary process already starts now. The candidates should better wait until October/November, then the GOP should set 2-3 debates and start the whole thing. But not 2 years before the actual election.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2015, 03:54:25 AM »

-weak on foreign policy
-allegations of corruption over the last 8 years
-tool of big business
-bland
-anti-worker
bobloblaw
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2015, 09:34:27 AM »

The Dems will say he is too young and too inexperienced. Never mind that he is older than Clinton in 1992 or JFK in 1960 or even Obama in 2008. Dems will try and use age and experience. Saying the world is a dangerous place. In essence expect the Dems to completely repudiate their 2008 campaign in 2016.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2015, 11:03:36 AM »

When is the last time someone with zero charisma but the correct positions won a nomination? How about the election?

George W. Bush was successful not only because he convinced conservatives he was one of them, but he managed to hide that from moderates. What does Walker offer the middle, if it's not charm?
bobloblaw
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2015, 11:16:03 AM »

When is the last time someone with zero charisma but the correct positions won a nomination? How about the election?

George W. Bush was successful not only because he convinced conservatives he was one of them, but he managed to hide that from moderates. What does Walker offer the middle, if it's not charm?

Nixon, GHW Bush won both. Kerry with the nomination along with Dole and McCain, Ford, Dukakis, Stevenson, Dewey. Hillary isnt exactly busting forth with charm and charisma
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2015, 11:17:31 AM »

Walker's blandness is just what might make him seem like a moderate. No one over here even knows who he is. The recall was not national news like everything Christie does. It'll seem like a passing thing under his watch. Yet, it still is just enough to fire up conservatives (so long as gay marriage doesn't alienate the Olds but it really shouldn't)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2015, 12:22:24 PM »

-weak on foreign policy
-allegations of corruption over the last 8 years
-tool of big business
-bland
-anti-worker

This thread is referring to a Republican primary, not the GE.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2015, 12:24:20 PM »

The Dems will say he is too young and too inexperienced. Never mind that he is older than Clinton in 1992 or JFK in 1960 or even Obama in 2008. Dems will try and use age and experience. Saying the world is a dangerous place. In essence expect the Dems to completely repudiate their 2008 campaign in 2016.

Like how McCain completely repudiated his 2008 campaign of "Obama's inexperienced" by picking Palin?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2015, 12:26:10 PM »

I think too many here are focusing on what the Dems will use against him. I meant to emphasize what would his GOP opponents use. Some of the answers here are moot because the rhetoric just won't resonate with the Republican base.

Like I said earlier, I guess foreign policy is an area he could be hit on but unless he's a total disaster/delivers a whopper of a gaffe, I don't see that as a problem either.

Charisma might be a question mark but he isn't really going to be attacked on that. I guess if he's far too bland, it could be the single biggest issue.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2015, 03:16:07 PM »

Middle-class minorities who almost as a strict rule (have completed a degree program)  are not going to accept that excuse.

Scott Walker has a huge chip on his shoulder toward educated 'elites'. That may be attractive to people who think education meaningless and absurd fluff.

Huh Explain.

Correction made.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2015, 03:57:50 PM »

I think too many here are focusing on what the Dems will use against him. I meant to emphasize what would his GOP opponents use. Some of the answers here are moot because the rhetoric just won't resonate with the Republican base.

Like I said earlier, I guess foreign policy is an area he could be hit on but unless he's a total disaster/delivers a whopper of a gaffe, I don't see that as a problem either.

Charisma might be a question mark but he isn't really going to be attacked on that. I guess if he's far too bland, it could be the single biggest issue.

For the GOP primary, they will probably test the limits of his debating composure, betting that he has less speaking finesse than his lawyer/preacher opponents.  If he rises to the top of the pile, they will try to quickly bait him into a Rick Perry or Sarah Palin moment.
bobloblaw
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2015, 05:51:40 PM »

Like how McCain completely repudiated his 2008 campaign of "Obama's inexperienced" by picking Palin?

VP isnt the same as Pres.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2015, 07:29:13 PM »

I just found out 2.59 GPA at the time of dropout. Not exactly Rick Perry's 2.2 at TAMU with horrible econ marks, but given that he dropped out, a transcript leak is possible.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies