In which of the following countries is cop killing OK?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:47:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  In which of the following countries is cop killing OK?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: In which of the following countries is cop killing OK?  (Read 1359 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 23, 2005, 12:17:09 AM »

Nazi Germany
Vichy France
Cuba
China
Apartheid South Africa
Iran
Saudi Arabia
Saddam's Iraq
North Korea
USA

I vote for all EXCEPT USA. In every other listed country, police are/were legitimate targets.
SamuelBerger
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2005, 12:23:05 AM »

Um, unless you are at war with any of those countries, you go and kill someone, you are a murderer, plain and simple.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2005, 12:26:22 AM »

Um, unless you are at war with any of those countries, you go and kill someone, you are a murderer, plain and simple.

I think the point is that in some countries, the police are not protectors but instead they are oppressors. For instance, in Nazi Germany the police would be involved in rounding up Jews so they could be shipped to concentration camps - killing them would be fighting for liberty.

I'm not sure about all of the countries, but definitely not in the USA.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2005, 12:30:41 AM »

The main reason I brought it up is people whine that the ANC killed cops in Apartheid South Africa. The police completely ignored crimes against blacks and basically just enforced the repressive apartheid rules. They were just as a legitimate target as the SS and Milice were in occupied France. Now the ANC is hardly doing a good job running the country now but that's not really relevant.
SamuelBerger
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2005, 12:31:06 AM »

I think the point is that in some countries, the police are not protectors but instead they are oppressors. For instance, in Nazi Germany the police would be involved in rounding up Jews so they could be shipped to concentration camps - killing them would be fighting for liberty.

Depends what they are doing. If they are just directing traiffic, you go up and shoot them, you are a murderer. If they are physically threatening you like the Nazi German police you described then it is justified to kill in self-defense of course.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2005, 12:31:48 AM »

I agree. The cops are simply the enforcers of the law and a lot of times those cops themselves don't believe in the laws but they are forced to enforce them because they need the job to support their families.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2005, 12:34:37 AM »

Depends what they are doing. If they are just directing traiffic, you go up and shoot them, you are a murderer. If they are physically threatening you like the Nazi German police you described then it is justified to kill in self-defense of course.

Yeah, I'd only go after the cops that are actually enforcing laws that shouldn't be enforced - following orders isn't justification for being a fascist.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2005, 12:34:58 AM »

Most of the police in Saddam's Iraq are now part of the insurgency.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2005, 12:38:27 AM »

Yeah, I'd only go after the cops that are actually enforcing laws that shouldn't be enforced - following orders isn't justification for being a fascist.

If you were given the options of enforcing the "laws" no matter how bad they were or you and your whole family being executed which one would you take? I'd take the former, easily.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2005, 12:39:42 AM »

If you were given the options of enforcing the "laws" no matter how bad they were or you and your whole family being executed which one would you take? I'd take the former, easily.

Then why are most of the members of Saddam's Republican Guard and Feyadeen and Muhkarabat or whatever they were called now involved in the insurgency?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2005, 12:42:46 AM »

I'd take option 3 - fight back with all that I am.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2005, 12:43:07 AM »

Then why are most of the members of Saddam's Republican Guard and Feyadeen and Muhkarabat or whatever they were called now involved in the insurgency?

I am asking an individual question to the members here. I don't really much care for any of Iraqs former gov members. Who were mostly loyalists.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2005, 06:29:13 AM »

I agree. The cops are simply the enforcers of the law and a lot of times those cops themselves don't believe in the laws but they are forced to enforce them because they need the job to support their families.

Why does war change the situation?  The Soldiers are just doing a job to support their families, like the cops.

I would say all of the above.  But then again I don't believe in right and wrong.  But there is no doubt that oppression takes (or took) place in all the above mentioned countries, and one certainly cannot blame anyone for defending themselves and their freedoms against the police of a Police State.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2005, 07:08:01 AM »

I think some distinction needs to be made between ordinary police and groups like the SS, though I recognize that in totalitarian countries the line is often blurred to non-existent.

Still, even in totalitarian countries, there is some aspect of legitimate police work that goes on.  Even there, police are needed for things other than political repression.

I hestitate to endorse this type of rhetoric, even with respect to dictatorships, because many liberals in this country have effectively taken this position with respect to police in inner city neighborhoods.  Their thesis is that because conditions in the inner cities are not perfect, the police there should not be able to do their job.  Never mind the fact that withdrawal of police protection makes those types of areas even worse.  Logic has never been the strong suit of these people.

I think that in the countries you described, it's preferable that rebellion be directed at those closer to the top of the political chain, rather than lower level police officers.  If a country is a democracy, rebellion can take place through the ballot box.  If not, it should be directed at the more senior levels of the government.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies