Should anyone GOPer in the current "group" scare the Democrats?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:55:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Should anyone GOPer in the current "group" scare the Democrats?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Should anyone GOPer in the current "group" scare the Democrats?  (Read 4204 times)
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2015, 08:45:54 PM »

I think Christie is the most electable. In fact, in a Hillary vs. Republican race, Christie gives me a sense of electable security.

My father is a reliable Republican who would never vote for Christie if he runs for President. That's one lost vote.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2015, 10:20:17 PM »

I think Christie is the most electable. In fact, in a Hillary vs. Republican race, Christie gives me a sense of electable security.

My father is a reliable Republican who would never vote for Christie if he runs for President. That's one lost vote.

sh**t. There goes Massachusetts.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2015, 10:23:41 PM »

Walker
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2015, 10:29:29 PM »

I think Paul has the most potential, but he also has a lot of risks such as alienating some in the base and establishment.

Walker could do well, but its too soon to say how good he'd be in the general election.  He doesn't have much charisma, it seems.  Its not the only factor for sure, but it would be a big plus. 
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2015, 11:23:34 PM »
« Edited: January 30, 2015, 11:25:26 PM by Frodo »

The only GOP candidate currently running who is likeliest to give Hillary Clinton a white-knuckled ride to the White House would be Jeb Bush (if he makes it through the primaries) -the rest don't stand a chance.  
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2015, 11:56:40 PM »

What should worry the Dems the most about Walker is that he has faced the harshest opposition of anyone. Every skeleton, every line of attack, have all been dug up - and they've all failed.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2015, 11:59:17 AM »

Jeb Bush and possibly Scott Walker, John Kasich and Chris Christie.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2015, 12:19:32 PM »

Walker -- because he is likely to get lots of Koch-aine behind him. He plays successfully to the vilest trends in America.
bobloblaw
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2015, 12:30:31 PM »

Bush is the strongest candidate and appeals to moderates and Hispanics very well. 

Conservative turnout will tank with Bush and ther is no evidence he'd do well with Mexicans who make up the largest Hispanic population.

Walker is the best.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2015, 01:31:57 PM »

What should worry the Dems the most about Walker is that he has faced the harshest opposition of anyone. Every skeleton, every line of attack, have all been dug up - and they've all failed.

That's actually not true, whenever someone runs for President, the level of scrutiny they face is unlike anything else in politics.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2015, 01:57:25 PM »

Walker
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2015, 02:26:49 PM »

I would have picked Jon Huntsman but since he declined to run, I think Jeb Bush will be the one. Why him though you ask ? Dispite his Last name, Jeb Bush had a strong governing record.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2015, 08:40:11 PM »

On Walker, let's remind ourselves that he really got lucky. Burke was hyped up as some strong challenger, but at the end of the day she was pretty weak. Her record was: Cabinet Member in an unpopular democratic gubernatorial administration + School Board Member. Not exactly the cream of the crop. I really do wonder if Walker would have still won if Ron Kind had been his challenger.

So, while Walker is one of the GOP's stronger options, I'd be very surprised if he actually won the general, though he would make it a close race.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2015, 07:21:51 PM »

There are other potential strategies for Republicans than increasing their numbers with younger voters and minorities. A rise in white turnout could help the party, too.

As for Republicans who should concern Democrats...

Marco Rubio- Remember the last time Hillary Clinton went up against a much younger big state Senator with a telegentic family whose election would represent a significant milestone?

Scott Walker-  He's from the Great Lakes region, along with a lot of potential swing states. Has won while advocating for conservative policies.

Chris Christie- Impressive in terms of raw political talent.

Rand Paul- The most likely to issue bold policy proposals. There are a lot ofunknowns about the potential response to his candidacy. He's been quite disciplined recently, and generally avoided serious gaffes. Also seems like someone who would be an unconventional President, and tougher to get along with.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2015, 10:13:54 PM »

Yes, Jeb!
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2015, 09:37:50 AM »

sh**t. There goes Massachusetts.

My father doesn't live in Massachusetts, and never has.

You shouldn't assume people live with their parents...
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2015, 02:06:59 PM »

Remember the last time Hillary Clinton went up against a much younger big state Senator with a telegentic family whose election would represent a significant milestone?

Yeah, Ted Cruz would clearly demolish her! Wink
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2015, 02:14:44 PM »

Walker of course worries me the most.  Not necessarily because he's necessarily the strongest candidate– Jeb Bush is likely stronger in a general election– but because he is in the "sweet" spot of being strong enough to win, while also holding positions which are particularly dangerous to all that I hold dear.  A Jeb presidency we could live through.  I'm not so sure about Scott.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2015, 02:16:59 PM »

Scott Walker is scary on paper but I firmly believe that he's not good enough of a politician to make the step up from state to national politics.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies