Which of these two American universities is more conservative?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:04:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Which of these two American universities is more conservative?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which of these is more conservative?
Brigham Young University

Texas A&M University

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 43

Author Topic: Which of these two American universities is more conservative?  (Read 1835 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 30, 2015, 09:30:39 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brigham_Young_University

or

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_A%26M_University
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 09:46:45 PM »

BYU easily...as fitting with Provo.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 10:12:45 PM »

Texas A&M is pretty conservative though. It originally required military training for its students, and it still has many ties to the military. And its student body is heavily dominated by white evangelicals. Plus, it is Texas. 

I think the kind of conservatives you'd encounter at Texas A&M are more emblematic of contemporary American conservatism than those at BYU-even though BYU is obviously extremely conservative.  I guess it depends on who you see as more "conservative": Southern white evangelicals or Utah Mormons.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 06:26:06 AM »

I think the kind of conservatives you'd encounter at Texas A&M are more emblematic of contemporary American conservatism than those at BYU-even though BYU is obviously extremely conservative.  I guess it depends on who you see as more "conservative": Southern white evangelicals or Utah Mormons.

Evangelicalism, even white evangelicalism is a bigger tent politically than Mormonism. While I'm sure BYU is more conservative than Texas A&M, its definitely possible to come up with a more conservative set  of Evangelicals. e.g. Bob Jones U
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 08:53:10 AM »

BYU is the correct answer.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 09:18:34 AM »

This is basically sort of decent conservatives vs. Horrible conservatives. As funny as Manziel is, the Mormon stereotype of compassion is what I used to view as true conservatism. I now realize there is obviously a much larger portion of the a&m type of Conservative out there but I will never think of them as real conservatives. They may vote that way but I doubt they uphold the values.

Plus, doesn't BYU expel those who have premarital relations?
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 10:06:25 PM »

This is basically sort of decent conservatives vs. Horrible conservatives. As funny as Manziel is, the Mormon stereotype of compassion is what I used to view as true conservatism. I now realize there is obviously a much larger portion of the a&m type of Conservative out there but I will never think of them as real conservatives. They may vote that way but I doubt they uphold the values.

Plus, doesn't BYU expel those who have premarital relations?

It's usually a true stereotype that,...and yes yes it does.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 10:30:21 PM »

It kind of depends on what kind of conservatism you're referring to.

If conservatism means strict adherence to tradition and deference societal institutions, it's indisputably BYU. Most of its students and faculty are members of the LDS Church, which is arguably the anchor of Utah society, and faithfully follow its doctrines regarding things like missionary work and the promotion of early marriage and large families.

If conservatism means Right populism with the end goal of ensuring that a privileged group in society maintains said privilege, then A&M is the winner. Aggies are not "conservative" in their behavior in the way BYU students are - they can drink anyone under the table and aren't partaking of any less sex and drugs than their liberal adversaries in Austin are. But A&M is very much about preserving the "good old boy" network in Texas -- the reason you'll probably see a lot of maroon-colored paraphernalia in the executive suites of many a Houston oil company. They're the Rick Perry to BYU's Mitt Romney.

I'd argue that they're both about equally conservative in their own respective ways. BYU represents, to put it in a Forum context, a "DC Al" sort of conservatism that is about adhering to established rules and morals. A&M offers up more of a "Cathcon" conservatism that involves white males engaging in law-breaking, libertine behavior while defending their white male privilege.
Kushahontas
floating_to_sea
Kenya

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2015, 03:09:12 PM »

It kind of depends on what kind of conservatism you're referring to.

If conservatism means strict adherence to tradition and deference societal institutions, it's indisputably BYU. Most of its students and faculty are members of the LDS Church, which is arguably the anchor of Utah society, and faithfully follow its doctrines regarding things like missionary work and the promotion of early marriage and large families.

If conservatism means Right populism with the end goal of ensuring that a privileged group in society maintains said privilege, then A&M is the winner. Aggies are not "conservative" in their behavior in the way BYU students are - they can drink anyone under the table and aren't partaking of any less sex and drugs than their liberal adversaries in Austin are. But A&M is very much about preserving the "good old boy" network in Texas -- the reason you'll probably see a lot of maroon-colored paraphernalia in the executive suites of many a Houston oil company. They're the Rick Perry to BYU's Mitt Romney.

I'd argue that they're both about equally conservative in their own respective ways. BYU represents, to put it in a Forum context, a "DC Al" sort of conservatism that is about adhering to established rules and morals. A&M offers up more of a "Cathcon" conservatism that involves white males engaging in law-breaking, libertine behavior while defending their white male privilege.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2015, 04:09:28 PM »
« Edited: February 01, 2015, 04:11:20 PM by sex-negative feminist prude »

I'd agree with PR, and I was saying this to him on Facebook recently, that BYU is more conservative while A&M is more representative of contemporary American conservatism, obscene and shockingly conspicuous hypocrisy included.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2015, 09:43:07 PM »

Then which would be closer to JCL conservatism
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2015, 09:50:09 PM »

Neither. Write-in Hillsdale College.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2015, 09:56:21 PM »

I'd argue that they're both about equally conservative in their own respective ways. BYU represents, to put it in a Forum context, a "DC Al" sort of conservatism that is about adhering to established rules and morals.

I get my own brand of conservatism? I feel special Cheesy
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2015, 02:31:09 PM »

BYU considerably, but the distinctions drawn between each's brand of conservatism are also true
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies